Fodor's Choice 2007 - Normandie??

chelles24

Hi All!

I am cruising out of San Juan in December and looking for a decent hotel that is moderately priced for a pre-cruise stay. I recently picked up the brand new Fodor's Caribbean 2007 book and noticed the "Fodor's Choice" in San Juan is the Normandie Hotel. :confused: I was quite shocked Fodor's bestowed this rating on the Normandie as I have read so many negative reviews on the hotel. I'm also new to the Fodor's series of books, so perhaps their picks aren't always on?

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the Normadie was given this rating by Fodor's? :rolleyes:

I too was shocked when I saw that in Fodor's. I got the Normandie on Priceline about 2 weeks ago. In my haste (I couldn't stand the wait of trying to get a Resort and bid on a 3*) I bid and got the Normadie for 2 nights pre-cruise next March. I was a bit disapointed (because of the bad reviews I too have read) but decided to hope for the best. Now my hopes are a little higher.

However I wouldn't choose the Normandie on it's own, but since I got it on priceline it's ok.

I also just got the Caribe Hilton for our post cruise (at 4:30 am today). I got it for $100 but since then a couple of people have hit at $70. Well worth that price:D

My husband & I stayed at Normandie this past April, one night pre-cruise and I must say it was not that great. The common areas are nice - kind of retro looking and hip, and some of the rooms are similarly decorated. However they had not remodeled all the rooms and the ones that are not done are almost inhabitable. We booked thru Hotwire and I am wondering if they save these older rooms for those of us that 'bid' for the rooms vs paying full-price. We were fortunate that the hotel wasn't full the night we were there and were moved to one of the nicer rooms, after I complained, but there is NO WAY we would have stayed in that old room - damp, musty smelling, air conditioner did not work, phone was missing, light in sleeping area didn't work, (the bellboy that was with us with our luggage looked embarrassed) but it didnt look a thing like the pictures on the website - just a complete dive! Trust me I am not some ultra-picky person that nothing satisfies me but 5star hotels - we love more mid-priced basic places and if this place was totally remodeled I would think it would be OK but until then it is a crap shoot as to whether or not one gets a great room or a bad one - not the way I like to start a vacation you know.

How and why Fodor's gave such kudos to this place is beyond me, unless as I said they have now remodeled ALL rooms or maybe Fodor's didn't see the old rooms but otherwise there is no way, to me that is false advertising.

Just read an article in my Nov. 2006 Caribbean Travel and Life magazine and CTL magazine are now recommending The Normandie Hotel because they have just finished an $8 million property wide complete renovation. They are saying "What's Hot in Puerto Rico for 2007" is The Normandie Hotel.

Archived