Rental Cars at Harwich?

BRUCENLYNN

We are on the Rotterdam in May 2007 which cruises from Athens to Harwich. Does anyone know if we can rent a car at the port or nearby as we would like to tour around the area before heading down to London. I've done some searching but not having any luck.

Thanks for your help.

~Lynn

These contacts may be able to help:-

Harwich Visitor information Centre: tel +44(0) 1255 506139

or email harwichtic@btconnect.com

or http://www.havencruise.com or http://www.visiteastofengland.com

I have a feeling there was car rental at Harwich port/railway station which are more or less in the same building. http://www.onerailway.com may be able to help too. Good luck.

Marge M

We will be sailing out of Harwich next year and looked for a place to return a rental car after picking one up at Heathrow. The closest return point we could find was in Ipswich, about 30-45 minutes away. One of the Harwich taxi firms said they could pick us up in Ipswich and take us to the cruise terminal. The cost for such service this year is 38 pounds sterling. Both Avis and Hertz have offices in Ipswich. We could find find no firm that rented at Heathrow that had an office in Harwich.

Thank you both for the response. I have looked all over the official site for the Harwich port and just couldn't find anything. Also visited all the websites for local car hires and nothing at Harwich. Ipswich is the closest I could find as well so we may have to taxi there to pick up a rental. Ipswich is actually the town we'd like to visit as we lived there many years ago.

Last year we cruised out of Dover and I thought Harwich would be a nice change but I've changed my mind. We had no problem with dropping off and picking up rentals at Dover. Even had a free upgrade to a gorgeous Mercedes sedan from Avis!

I think it is nice that Harwich has the cruise train but my mom is elderly and not able to get around very well so we really need a rental car or I suppose I could hire a private car service if I'm forced to.

Thanks again for your input!

~Lynn

Archived