A few questions - Elation 1/2007 5 night cruise

redeemed

We have never been on a cruise before and are excited to finally get our hair full of wind. Some questions I have had a difficult time finding answers to are:

1. Will we find heat in January? I checked the temperatures off of the Carnival website and it seems that with the exception of FL, it will be relatively warm at the islands we will be porting at. Are the temperatures they list typical? Are we going to be needing jackets and such for the days we spend in FL pre-cruise and/or on the ship?

2. Are suites worth the money? We currently have an inside cabin guarantee booked for our family (2 adults, a 6yo, 3yo, and 1yo). We were not comfy with booking two cabins with the children being so young and were encouraged that they can accomodate us in one room. So, assuming we won't be in our cabin much, does this sound reasonable? It is beginning to sound like the cabins are very small.

3. We are considering staying overnight in Cocoa Beach the night before the cruise. Any recommendations for good hotels? What about transportation from Walt Disney World to the Port area? Are we likely better off to rent a car since there are 5 of us?

4. For those familiar with the Carnival Elation would you say it is a good beginner ship? We like to do things together as a family and I am not sure we will leave our older children in the CC programs. Will there still be things for us to do together?

Thank you for your time in responding to us. I will also post under family cruising...

Hi!

We just booked a cruise on the Elation for end of Feb/07 for dh and i and our kids who will be 8yrs, 5 yrs and the little one will be almost 3- also all in one room- Cat. 6A!

I can't help with the first question as this will be our first trip south in the winter!

We cruised 2 yrs ago with our sons aged 6 and 3 at that time and our daughter was 13 mths- also all in one oceanview room. It was on the Inspiration- I'd say yes, it was crowded, but here we are doing it again! ( although i think i would only do it with an ocean view room - without a window i'd feel claustrophobic!!)Basically, there was a double bed, and 2 upper bunks that pulled out from the wall, one was pretty much directly over the double bed and the other one on the opposite side of the small room, and they brought in a crib that pretty much went under the other bunk. they pull out the bunks while you are at dinner so the beds are ready for the night, then when they make up the room after you go in the morning, they fold the bunks into the wall so they are out of the way. The time we felt the crowding most was in the morning when we were trying to get up and dressed and out. During the day we were hardly in the cabin and when we were it wasn't too bad since the upper bunks were put away. For us squeezing us into one room is the only way that is affordable and i can't say i've even seen one of the suites- but i'm sure they would be more comfortable!

Tonight i'll see if I can find a pic of the kids in our cabin on the Inspiration and try to post it here...

We are also considering maybe staying in cocoa beach the night before and are also undecided on transportation so i'm hoping you'll get some responses or suggestions on that as it would be of help to us too!

On our last cruise on the Inspiration our boys LOVED Camp Carnival, there were tons of fun activities for them - even with that we still felt that we had plenty of family time and whenever the ship was at ports we always left the boat all together and spent time at beaches!

Since i've never sailed on the Elation before i can only guess - but my guess would be that it would be a perfect first cruise- I'm really looking forward to this itinerary and having some beach days with the kids at Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. Do you have the same itinerary? Grand Turk/Half Moon Cay/Nassau?

I should mention that we were disappointed with the swimming pools on Inspiration and I expect the Elation will be similar.... Pools are small, water is cold, salty, and on the Inspiration the kids pool was at the very back of the ship and it was windy and the water moved and splashed around so much in the pool creating these waves that my kids were afraid of, LOL!!!! others may have different opinions, and regardless of that, we can hardly wait to go on this cruise!! Hope you enjoy yours!!!

Eden

PS> did you post this question on the main Carnival board? I'd be interested in seeing others responses...

I am going on the Elation in December, and have only been on cruises with my wife in the past (we are bringing a baby this time). By, I'll take a shot at answering some of your questions.

Weather will likely be nice in Florida and the ports - BUT you never know. Definately bring along a jacket. I have been to the Florida and the Caribbean in February one year and the weather was great, and the next year it was cool. Leave your heavy coat and snow gear at home, but be prepared for cooler weather just in case.

Cabins are small. Even though Carnival cabins are a little larger than some of the othr cruise lines, 5 people will be very crowded. I have never stayed in a suite, but I have seen one and they are larger, but still not huge. One option might be to get two connected cabins next to each other, and leave the door between them open. When you look at the map of the ship, you will see the cabins that are connected with a door.

I am planning on staying near the port the night before my cruise. I always do. I don't have a recommendation for hotels though. Definately rent a car (or minivan since there are 5 of you).

Again, I haven't been on the Elation yet, but I have been on the Paradise which is a sister ship (same size and layout so it should be very similar). Keeping in mind that you are in port 3 of the 4 full days, you should find enough to entertain yourself and the kids during your time on the ship. As your kids get a little older, you might want to consider one of the larger Royal Caribbean ships that have more stuff to do to entertain the kids (mini golf, basketball, climbing walls, roller and ice skating, etc). But, you should find shuffleboard, ping pong, giant chess, half court basketball, etc on the Elation which should be enough for your at sea time.

Robert

Archived