La Spezia

davidandsusan-nj

Our cruise docks in La Spezia, Italy next Sept for a visit to Cinque Terre. Has anyone docked here before? Is it easy to get to Cinque Terre? Portofino and other parts of the Italian Riveria also appear to be close. Can we make them in a day trip?

I'd like to hear of anyones experiences in this port.

Thanks,

Susan

Several years ago we visited friends who were living in La Spezia. We went to Cinque Terre one day on the train and as I recall it was about 20 min to the first town. We then walked between a couple of the towns and took the train as well as the ferry.

We had a wonderful lunch, did some shopping and walking and swam in the Med. An amazing day.

I don't know where the harbour is in relation to the train station, but once you get to the station, it's a piece of cake.

If you want to see all five towns, I would say it's a full day.

Mo

Thanks Mo,

It seems like this is a fairly new port for Oceania as most people have little or no experience with it. I guess I will also wait for the ship excursions to open up next month so I can see what they are offering. I will always opt to do it on my own whenever possible so I can see the sights at my own pace.

If anyone has any experience with a driver from Portofino I'd like to hear about them as well. They might be willing to come to La Spezia to pick us up.

Susan

Hi Susan,

We stopped in Portofino last year, and our friend took the train from there to hike the Cinque Terre. So it probably wouldn't be too hard to go the opposite way for the day from La Spezia. (We'll be stopping in La Spezia in May so I can let you know more then!)

Kim

The ferry schedule is here www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it Gee, it's almost intuitive. It doesn't look like there is a direct ferry from La Spezia to Cinque Terre, but a previous poster recommends the train."I think you should have no problem exploring the Cinque Terre from La Spezia on your own. You should go to the train station, La Spezia Centrale, and take a local train north. The local trains stop at all five of the towns. I love the Cinque Terre! Wear good hiking boots or shoes, and don't forget the cameras.

How nice that your ship stops at La Spezia!"

Thanks for the link. It does look like you can get from La Spezia to Portovenere and then from Portovenere to Cinque Terre. Most of the service is between Portovenere and Cinque Terre but there are three morning ferries from La Spezia to Portovenere (9:00, 10:00 and 11:15) and two scheduled back from Portovenere back to La Spezia - one at 5:10PM and one at 6:10 PM and that leg of the trip is a half hour. The 5:10 gets you back at 5:40 - a good comfort zone for our 8PM departure from La Spezia. The total trip from La Spezia to the first of the Cinque Terre is 1 hour 15 minutes and coming back from the furthest of the Cinque Terre to La Spezia is 1 hour 40 minutes. I am sure it is a beautiful ride by sea along the coastline - can't wait.

Thanks for your help -

Susan

• 2 months later...

We were on the Nautica Oct 28 cruise. La Spezia was a brand new stop and little information was available. The ferry was not operating in the winter. We tagged along with about 30 people who were adventurous. There were maybe 7 different families who were NOT traveling together. We got off the tender, and walked about 50feet up the hill to the bus. The ride to the train station was tedious. The train was easy, we went to the last stop. There was not enough time to hike the trails. Be careful on the return as not all trains stop. It was dark when we got back to the train station. A few took a cab back to the tender dock, most asked directions and ended up at the bus stop. Another long ride back to the tender. A long day but gread adventure.

Thanks for the info Tedsto.

I went onto the ferry's website and they say that they are closed for the winter and will resume service on March 31, 2007. My cruise arrives La Spezia on September 23rd so I e-mailed them to see if the ferries run that late in the season. I will post their reply when I receive it.

Susan

• 4 years later...

We tendered at La Spezia in April 2008 on the Regatta. We walked to the train station and then took the train to the farthest town on the Cinque Terra which was Monterossa. We then hopped on and off the train at each town on the way back to La Spezia. We walked the Via D'Amore on the trail which is the shortest trail between two towns. The ferry was operating during April but not on that specidic day due to windy weather. Be aware that two of the towns had major mud slides recently and are in the process of rebuilding.

Our cruise docks in La Spezia, Italy next Sept for a visit to Cinque Terre. Has anyone docked here before? Is it easy to get to Cinque Terre? Portofino and other parts of the Italian Riveria also appear to be close. Can we make them in a day trip?

I'd like to hear of anyones experiences in this port.

Thanks,

Susan

If you go to the board for Italian ports, you'll find more detailed information about visiting the Cinque Terre. I recommend you check what shape some of the towns are in after the recent flooding and mud slides. People on the Italy port board were using phrases like "the town has ceased to exist." YOu'll want to know the most current information before you get too settled in your plans.

If your plans for Cinque Terre don't work out, I recommend you consider visiting Portovenere. This is a great town with tower houses just like the ones that make San Gimignano so famous and appealing. It is a short and easy ferry ride from La Spezia.

When we tendered at La Spezia, we wandered up towards town and the ferry was boarding. We took the ferry up to Monterrosso and then hiked back to Vernazza and then the train to the other towns. There are multiple ways you can do this. Hopefully bey September the area will have fully recovered from the flooding a few months ago. If not, you could at least see the towns closest to La Spezia and maybe Portovenere as well.

LaSpezia/C.Terre was one of my favorite ports on our Insignia Cruise last year. Easy DIY port. The ferry is within a short walking distance from the tender dock. It is a Hop on/off style and a schedule is available when you by your ticket, take note of the last ferry. The views from the ferry boat are spectacular, which you don't get from the train. There are trails between the

towns, some easier than others, such as the Via D'Amore (Lovers Trail). Good Info on many websites about these trails & the villages. There wasn't time to

add Portofino to our day. If the weather is poor the day of your visit, you could forgo the ferry and the hikes, then you may have time to do it all by train...One thing is certain, you will love this port.

Thanks for the Rick Steves update, Mo. How sad to see such a beautiful area decimated.

However, for those of you who haven't visited the Cinque Terre- GO. There are still beautiful things to see and experience. This is one of the most beautiful areas of Italy, and even if you won't be able to see Vernazza (1 of the five towns) you will still have a wonderful experience. And this area is dependent on tourism to survive, so don't shy away or close your wallet if you do visit.

Archived