7 to 14 October. Western Med.

OrpingtonT

I have caught up with the postings from "young pensioner" "cruiseluvva" and others on their experiences on Voyager up to their disembarkation on 7 Oct and enjoyed reading them.

We arrived home yesterday after a faultless voyage. I have nothing but praise for all of our arrangements from the meeting at Rome airport, the transfer to Civitavecchia, the warm greeting and registration on board, a lunch poolside until our suite was ready and our suite, upgraded to Horizon from F.

The weather was perfect except for one rainy day in Sete but even then extra activities were laid on on board and we were able to stroll around the small town in the showers. All of the stops were interesting. Marseilles dock area was a little far out but the shuttle buses coped and we looked around on our own, even going up to the Notre Dame Basilica on the hill on a little train. In St. Tropez, we saw our Chef buying produce in the town so we knew that the fish was indeed fresh! We visited the Royal Residence in Monaco and watched go-cart racing on part of the F 1 track.

The food was superb in all the outlets and of course we over-ate and enjoyed every mouthful. At a table adjoining ours in Compass Rose on the last evening, a family of 5 went through each course until the desert menu arrived. Four of them ordered and the fifth, a lady couldn't manage anything so when the waiter approached her she said "Nothing". The waiter did the usual and tried to tempt her but she kept saying "Nothing".

When deserts arrived the others got theirs and a pair of waiters ceremoneously came to her and presented her with a large plate on which they had piped in coloured icing "NOTHING". So she got her nothing after all.

We ourselves celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary on board, though the actual date was as far ago as 1 September. I had included the date on our booking form, in truth because I had hoped it would get us an upgrade. Nevertheless, a note must have been made because after our meal in the evening we had booked for Signatures, in trooped a line of waitresses with a cake iced "Happy Anniversary" They sang a couple of sweet songs and made it quite an emotional experience. We had no idea it would happen and it was typical of the thoughtfulness which went into everything.

Sorry, I am rambling on. Our disembarkation went without a hitch and we flew home from Nice, a little delayed because of fog at Heathrow.

The staff were all superb. How do you pick one out to mention on the comments form? Every waiter and helper was friendly without being servile. Our cabin stewardess couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful and, I guess, all the others were the same. Capt. Dag was everywhere as was the cruise director, Bryan Townsend.

I read in another post, Young Pensioner, that you tried to contact me in Rome. We are indeed sorry not to have met or talked to you but it seems from your posts that your experiences of the quality of the cruise matched ours.

We look forward to the next cruise which will certainly be on Regent.

Archived