What to wear to dinner on Embarkation day?

GreenLeaf

It's been a while since my last cruise and for the life of me can't remember what people wore for dinner on embarkation day. Does anything go or are there unwritten guidlines? Thanks

First night..i get boarded early in the day..carry on formal/s in garment bag..or just take a nice topper to go with bottoms boarded with.also the necessities to redo face etc..if man in tow..a clean shirt, and do the best he can..I carry all immediate stuff in tote, so dont have to wait. In Sept my one case tag got wet/smeared and it was waiting at the pursers desk like an orphan. Happy Cruising..judi

If you are on early sitting, there's a possibility that your bags may not show up in your cabin before dinner time. In that event, you "come as you are" wearing whatever you had on when you boarded the ship. If your bag shows up in time (which is generally the case) something casual is certainly OK.;)

It's been a while since my last cruise and for the life of me can't remember what people wore for dinner on embarkation day. Does anything go or are there unwritten guidlines? Thanks

Since some unlucky cruise campers fail to receive thier luggage in a timely manner, the general dress code for dinner is usually suspended the night of embarkation and a more casual dress is generally accepted. Having said that, we try to prepare for such eventuality by either carrying or wearing on board something we would be comfortable wearing to the dining room i.e. for me (male) khakis & polo shirt and casual shoes; for her, slacks & blouse & casual shoes. A change is also packed in the carry on luggage along with toiletries, make up etc. We do not wear shorts, flip flops or bathing suits for embarkation but do have them in our carry on. Our carry on bag is a small, over the shoulder type gym bag & easily holds everything mentioned above along with camera.

If all else fails, and you prefer to wear shorts, tee shirt, flip flops and/or bathing suit to board AND your luggage is late in arriving AND if you are uncomfortable going into the dining room in those clothes, THEN the Lido Buffet is always an alternative in shorts etc., especially on embarkation night.

Hope this helps.

I've never seen (or heard of) anyone being turned away from the dining room on embarkation evening. They do realize that some don't receive their luggage - although I think this is rare - in time to change for the first seating. I've seen folks in shorts many times on the first evening. What I do is wear something when boarding that I think is appropriate for dinner...like capris and casual top.

Archived