Norfolk....who gets off the ship

Heymem

In Norfolk, who gets off the ship first. I know they have remote parking and shuttle you to the ship. Do these people get off first, the people being picked up at the ship, or who? We are leaving on the Maasdam when She returns to port on Oct. 28. It will be our 1st HAL cruise and have already decided the "dam" ships are our ships of choice just from reading all the wonderful things on these boards. This morning at 7:00 I made a "dry run" to Norfolk (I live 25 miles away) to see how unloading and boarding goes. Seems simple enough and got the boarding set as we are being dropped off at the dock but wondered when I should tell DS to be there to pick us up on the 8th. When I got there (about 8:20...I forgot the tunnel traffic!) there were people with luggage on the curb and the busses were lined up but I didn't see people on them. Thanks for any help you can give. Am I an excited (crazy) cruiser or what?

We arrived on the Maasdam at Norfolk yesterday (10/17). The debarkation went very well. I cannot say how Holland America decides which passengers get off first. You fill out a form several days before the end of the cruise indicating what flight, if any, you have booked, whether you are on a post cruise HA package, or have made your own independent arrangements.

Then you gave luggage tags with a color and number. Unlike other cruises, where they kicked passengers out of their cabins as early as possible and make you wait in one of the lounges (which soon fill up forcing folks to set on the floor sometimes), you are allowed to wait in your cabin until your number is called. Since we live less than 30 miles away in Yorktown, VA. we had left our car at the Norfolk Airport. We were called to leave the ship, I would say, at about the midway point of the process.

The biggest surprise was no Customs and Border Protection to go through. Although we had filled out the form when we got onto the pier we were told Customs didn't show up! Luggage pickup no problem. I went out to Boush Street where cabs were waiting and went to the airport to get car. When I returned to then pier, police let me pull up on the circular drive right in front of Nauticus to pickup my wife and another couple traveling with us.

Last year, we were parked at the Radisson Norfolk. Our number was called first, along with disembarking suite guests. As I recall, the hotel had either 2 or 3 shuttle buses waiting for us - got on, got to the hotel, grabbed our car, and we were on the road by 9:30 a.m.

If your DS has a cell phone - you might try what we've done in the past. Once they announce that the ship has been cleared and they start disembarking, call your DS. Then enjoy the pool area, etc. for what you anticipate to be his travel time and disembark shortly before you expect him to pull up out front. Hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived