First timer dress code questions--Carnival

SgtPepper729

So my first ever cruise takes place May 2007. I'll be cruising with my very VERY casual boyfriend.

So, I'm curious--how harshly does Carnival enforce their posted dress code? I don't feel formal night will be an issue, as he's been looking for excuses to buy a new suit. But I'm concerned about jeans, mainly just during the day in the dining rooms for lunch (we'll be on the Valor, by the way), and also would it be an issue or something I should concern myself with if he refuses to wear anything but his khaki cargo shorts all day?

And, while I'm on a roll, on several of Carnival's postings, they state that "tank tops" aren't allowed in the dining rooms. What's their definition? My entire summer wardrobe is halters, spaghetti strap tops, or strapless tops. Not anything like cut off tee shirts or anything, but floral prints and the like. Am I going to have to buy a COMPLETELY new wardrobe?

I'm so confused and am an overpacker. HELP!!

Thanks!

Wow, I could have put my name at the bottom of your post. I have all the same issues as you do. I hope we can get some info from the experienced cruisers:D !!! I did ask about formal nights on my roll call & some of the woman said that cocktail dresses were fine. Some are wearing very very fancy dresses & gowns. I bought a black cocktail dress with speghetti straps & a halter dress that is slightly longer. All my tops are halters, strapless or speghetti straps too!! Yes, jeans are his favorite even in the night clubs, so I hope thats ok too.

We are on the Liberty in March 2007. Its my first cruise too:D

Yeah I've already begun the great dress debate. I'm not sure how far I'll go--I guess it depends on what I find. I did recently buy for a wedding a black strapless dress with very faint pinstripes with the tulle peeking out the bottom... I suppose I could give it more than one wear :p

Are you as concerned about your packing as I am? I have 8 pairs of shoes in the trunk in my car... because you never know :D

Having recently sailed on Carnival, I can answer your questions based OME.

The tank tops refer to those worn by men. Sleeveless shirts for women are fine.

Carnival did not enforce any portion of the posted dress code on any night. I saw it all and wished I had not:eek: . From sloppy shorts, tanks, dirty tennis shoes and ball caps EVERY night in the dining room, to people in wet bathing suits and barefeet in the shops and public rooms.

The only place that consistently held up a standard for dress code was the supper club, where we dined three times simply for the quiet atmopshere and much better service and food.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would say you have nothing to be concerned about.

Having just gotten off the Conquest on Sunday, I can tell you what I saw and what the Matre d' said in the dining room fresh from my memory. The only evening I saw shorts in the dining room was the first one. It was annouced that tank tops and shorts were not proper attire for dinner in the dining room the rest of the week. Now, breakfast and lunch, they are fine, though I would prefer men not wear tank tops even for those meals. There was no mention of jeans in the dining room what so ever, but it was simply way too hot for denim (even the lighter weighted stuff). The temps in the Caribbean were 90+. I did see denim in the dining room during dinner, even on formal night, but it was by no means even 20%. Most complied or got close to the dress code. I did not see people turned away but we were having too much fun at our table to notice even though we were very close to the front in the Monet dining room.

Yeah I've already begun the great dress debate. I'm not sure how far I'll go--I guess it depends on what I find. I did recently buy for a wedding a black strapless dress with very faint pinstripes with the tulle peeking out the bottom... I suppose I could give it more than one wear :p

Are you as concerned about your packing as I am? I have 8 pairs of shoes in the trunk in my car... because you never know :D

Yes, I have way too many pairs of sandles & I have been told to pack light. But I pack his suite case soooo I will hide some things there shhhhhhh;) .

Just adding my 2cents (hey Lisa!) You really don't need that many pairs of shoes...I tend to over pack too but have found that I end up wearing 2 prs of heels, 1 pr of sandels and sneakers (usually just to get there).

I try to organize so I can manage w/ black heels and brown heels,and sandels that go w/ anything. As for clothes I try to organize 2-3 shirts (halters tanks or other) with 1 pr black/brown or other colored pants so I have some choice in what I wear. Then a few sundresess (2), 2-3 shorts w/ 2 chioces for tops for ea shorts, and 3-4 bathing suits (may have to purchase a 1 pc this yr) I also find sarongs very helpful.

But for everything you put in you will probably only use half. I usually have a lg suitcase and a medium suitcase. Mind you i bring a hair dryer and all that personal stuff too!

Good luck packing! (Lisa you have a long way to go unless you go in January too;) )

Just adding my 2cents (hey Lisa!)

Good luck packing! (Lisa you have a long way to go unless you go in January too;) )

Ok, I know I pack too much, so I'm going to use your list as a guide, since you have been on many more cruises than I!! (Hey Myssie, always glad to hear from you:) ) Well snice you added your 2 cents I'm going to pick your brain for a minute - do you think cockail dresses are ok for formal night? Most of the girls on my roll call are wearing gowns.

Daytime - Are bathing suits with sarongs (sp) ok to wear all day on the ship??

I know March is way too far away, I'm going crazy here:eek: :eek: Well I have to tell you, that you & Linda are being very convincing about January, now if I could only get my audits & taxes done by then;) !!

Lisa cocktail dresses are absolutely fine. I have a full length black valor with a mess neck line and I have a pantsuit with a sheer wrap that I wear with a sparkley top so really thereare all types of "fancy" dress going on! Ya I thin the sarong thing will work, I usually have a sundress for over the suit too if the sarong gats on my nerves.;)

BTW...get off the comp and get your work done january is in 3 months;)

MAO

Perhaps it is my choice of fabrics, ect, but I can pack for a cruise in one large suitcase and a shared garment bag and take everything I want, plus an extra ouftit as an option.

I bring three pairs of heels for evening, running shoes, flip flops and 2 pair of sandals.

I wear long dresses on formal night, cocktail several other evenings, but always dress for dinner. I just have not had a space problem.

I'll admit, all of your suggestions sound great. I, however, can't expand that logic you offered into reality. I went to the cabin for a week and I packed 3 outfits for every day--shorts and a light tank for at the lake, a daytime going out outfit, and a nighttime going out outfit. PLUS, a few pairs of jeans and sweatshirts in case of cold weather. But maybe you guys could clear a few of those things!

Should I really be at ALL concerned about cooler weather with an Eastern Caribbean in the beginning of May? And I've read about the cooler winds at night, but what would you gals who seem to have a similar mindset to mine suggest as a fashionable/reasonable cover-ups?

I think I'll be able to control my shoes... they're such a pain anyways!

JJHNLC, I too intend on utilizing any and all of his extra space. That's just how it goes! Your secret's safe with me :)

So a coverup and bathingsuit will suffice for the days (and I really do like the sundress suggestion). Would it be total overkill if I were to wear a dress pretty much every night to dinner and save the nicer ones for formal night? I don't think I'd really want to do the whole gown thing. It reminds me of prom all over again.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions! Sorry I'm such a pain and a worrier!

First, on Carnival's website, the only "policy" (which one poster mentioned above) is the tank top and shorts business in the dining room at *dinner*. Shorts are a no-no although you may see them the first night (luggage can be delayed) or when the Maitr'd is snoozing... and tank tops seems to imply the ugly ones. The dress recommendation is a suggestion and seems to be interpreted loosely by most Carnival cruisers, but formal nights tend to be mostly dressy - with a wide range from super formal to khakis and oxford shirt without tie.

Everything else is OK on Carnival, (although topless sunbathing seems to be reserved for a particular deck). There, I said it. Everything else is OK. Although many may feel that jeans, cargos, wet suits, etc are uncouth, unfashionable, etc you'll see them on a Carnival ship. That's why I have cruised Carnival :) and will continue to.

One comment regarding the concept of hot clothes in the tropics. Down in the dining room, you are not in the tropics, you're in a chilly restaurant in a floating hotel... I've worn a (plain) Gap sweatshirt at dinner because it was just tooooo darn cold. Bring something to put on if you feel cold. And I have worn jeans and a t-shirt (plain, not printed) to the dining room. Yes, I'm one of those fashion rule breakers I guess... but I do wear a suit on formal nights.

Your very VERY casual (dressing? ;)) boyfriend should be fine.

You might want to search some of the photo websites like www.Flickr.com for "Carnival" to get an idea of what people are actually wearing. My pics don't include the dining room, but I've seen lots of other peoples' photos of entire tables at dinner.

Archived