Hubbard Glacier/Alaska - Has your ship made it there?

mrstay

We are booked for the Mercury cruise next year and it goes to the Hubbard Glacier. One of my friends that is going with me mentioned that she heard that sometimes the ships cannot make it through because of the ice. We are going in mid- September. I could see that happening maybe in May. Has anyone had Hubbard on their itinerary, yet your ship was unable to make it there? If so, what time of year were you cruising?

We've cruised AK primarily in the spring. We've had no problem with Hubbard. Had a problem in College Bay a few years back in May - the problem was not because it was too cool, but because it was too warm and the glaciers were calving alot - it is the icebergs, not solid ice that causes the problem.

Serenade, mid Sept. We were within 1500' and according to the Capt. we had a record # of calvings. [maybe for this yr?] There were about 50 calvings so each side of the ship had a spectacle! Lost track of the numbers! We talked to a man from a NCL ship that was there the day before & they couldn't even see the glacier due to low ceiling so you just never know!

Been to Alaska twice on RCI. Both times in August. First trip...large iceburg broke off from the glacier and it was very foggy. Coast Guard would not let any ships into the area. Couldn't believe that people were complaining. C'mon people. Large iceburg and zero visibility. Does the name "Titanic" ring a bell? Second trip...Beautiful weather. Captain got Serenade within 1/4 mile of the glacier. Lots of calving. Highlight of the cruise.

-Steven

We were on the VOS Sept. 05, the captain told us that was they closest they had gotten that year. I wonder if he tells every group that?

I think it had to do with conditions at that time of the year. I did wonder if that was the standard thing told each sailing but there were crew members with us at the back of the ship taking pictures. They agreed that they had not been closer before so they were all excited that they were that close!

Until they explained, I thought it was odd there were so many crew members out and taking pictures when it was the last Alaska sailing on our ship.

We were there on the first week of June 06. The captain mentioned in the morning that the conditions were uncertain to reach Hubbard Glacier due to the amount of ice in Yakutat Bay. When we got there, we had no problems reaching the glacier wall. It was quite cold and I was glad I had brought my gloves and ear warmers. :)

I think it had to do with conditions at that time of the year. I did wonder if that was the standard thing told each sailing but there were crew members with us at the back of the ship taking pictures. They agreed that they had not been closer before so they were all excited that they were that close!

Until they explained, I thought it was odd there were so many crew members out and taking pictures when it was the last Alaska sailing on our ship.

Same for us in 2005 in fact the captain made an announcement asking all crew members to come aboard and see the glacier since it was the last time for the year. I actually thought it was very nice of him.

Archived