Saphire Beach

espmass

Whenever we're in St Thomas we go to Megan's Bay or to Coki Beach. I was told Saphire Beach is nice. Thought we might try something new on our December cruise. Can anyone tell me about it? Is it rocky or sandy? Do they have restrooms? Snack bar? Chairs? Thanks.

The beach is, as part of St. Thomas, of course available to everyone. That said, however, any facilities available are part of the hotel and they do charge for their use. Chairs are rented. Food is available. I am sure if you have lunch there, they will let you use their restrooms. The beach is small but lovely.

Hope you enjoy.

Whenever we're in St Thomas we go to Megan's Bay or to Coki Beach. I was told Saphire Beach is nice. Thought we might try something new on our December cruise. Can anyone tell me about it? Is it rocky or sandy? Do they have restrooms? Snack bar? Chairs? Thanks.

Go to the Ports of Call message board-plug in St Thomas and everything you want to know about Saphire Bay can be found in those threads.

Restrooms are open even without eating there.Snorkling is excellent in shallow calm water.

Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous white sand beach with lots of shade trees and awesome views of several nearby islands including St. John. The snorkeling is good. We saw several schools of fish (previously unknown to us), an eel, and a small stingray. Unpadded beach lounge chairs are $5 each if you want to rent one, or free if you just occupy one of the many chairs abandoned by their previous inhabitants. A dive shop, bar and grill, and restrooms are available. Some water sports are also available.

This past June, we opted to enjoy Sapphire Beach on our own and shop Havensight at the pier. Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and there will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi to Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach. Pick up the taxi again where it dropped you off.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Some of the best snorkling I have ever done. Some rocks on the beach off to the left. I kicked one a split my toe open. Ouch! When back at the ship I poured Peroxide over my toe 2x/day for several days. (I used to laugh that my husbaned packed the stuff...no more) I never got a severe infection and the end of my toe fell off weeks later. Now it looks as if nothing ever happened. I guess I am a good healer! The snorkeling was awesome!

When in St. Thomas, Sapphire Beach is always my beach of choice. The beach is gorgeous -- white sand and seagrape trees to provide shade. The ocean off that part of St. Thomas -- looking off to Jost Van Dyke has a wonderful reef, as has been noted, and this causes the water to look as if it's multiple shades of blue... very beautiful. The water is very nice for swimming, but be careful going in because there are rocks.

You can rent chairs and use the rest room facilities. I always order a drink or a bite to eat while there. As also noted, the local taxis will take you there priced per head. They drive all the way into the hotel grounds and leave you just at the reception area. Walk on through and onto the beach... the beach is public and many people do this all the time so there is never a problem. You can arrange with your taxi driver to return at a set time to pick you up and return you to the ship. There are always guys there looking for fares, so it shouldn't be a problem either way. On the way back, they will probably stop at a lookout so you can purchase souvenirs and take photos of the harbor and Charlotte Amelie.

Have fun!

Best regards,

Linda

Archived