Legend February 2007; ground transportation questions....

happy cruzin

Help!

We are booked on the Legend in Feb 4, 07. I'd like to fly in to Orlando on Friday, rent the car, spend Saturday with my parents and then drive to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday. I know that it is Super Bowl Sunday :rolleyes: - south Florida will be a mess and that will complicate things - but we are still considering it as an option. But final payment is due soon so we have to make a decision :eek: - because right now our air is through Carnival, because of the Super Bowl.

So my real question......has anyone ever rented the car in Orlando - returned it in Fort Lauderdale...gone on the cruise....picked up a second car in Fort Lauderdale and returned it in Orlando? Who did you use? Is one company better for one way rentals than another? How did you get to Port Everglades? Was is reasonable to do the 2 one way rentals?

Thanks in advance :cool: !

I have'nt done what you are decribing...But... We always rent a van for ground transportation for our Cruises from Budget and have been very satisfied. I always book online.

If I understand correctly from the nice Budget people is that Florida has a rule concerning rental vehichles that states you cannot be charged extra for pick-up and drop-off at different locations.

We pick up at the Airport and drop off at the nearest to the Cruise terminal. No extra charge.

I hope this information helps.

I would phone all the rental company's get quotes from all of them and book one of them that way you know you have one for Super bowl weekend.

That was my thought too. I tried to get some information over the weekend - but most of the "one way" departments were closed. :rolleyes: So I guess I will try again today or tomorrow.

Seems to me it should work. The airfares are good - plenty of choices, good times and are very reasonable. So it comes down to the rental car - if it is not outrageous, then we should be good to go.

Actually - I'm beginning to think that it is a good plan to get another day or two in the Florida sun. Far away from the ice and snow of PA :eek:.

Anyone else have an experience to share?

I have'nt done what you are decribing...But... We always rent a van for ground transportation for our Cruises from Budget and have been very satisfied. I always book online.

If I understand correctly from the nice Budget people is that Florida has a rule concerning rental vehichles that states you cannot be charged extra for pick-up and drop-off at different locations.

We pick up at the Airport and drop off at the nearest to the Cruise terminal. No extra charge.

I hope this information helps.

When I talked with one company yesterday they said that (although it is listed as a location) I could not drop off the car at Port Everglades - but that they did have Ft. Lauderdale locations for drop off. They said that Port Everglades is "pick up only" - which seems weird.

If we dropped the car off at another Ft. Lauderdale location, is it likely that they would then take us to the terminal?

For any one interested....Budget rental car does have a location at Port Everglades and will shuttle to and from the terminal. They are very helpful and patient.

We were able to book 2 seperate rental cars - one before the cruise and one after - to get us from and to Orlando. So we do not have to pay to park it at the pier while we cruise. The air fare is MUCH better going in and out of Orlando - for Pittsburgh. So even with the additional cost of the rental car we are way...way ahead of what we were going to pay to do the air through Carnival.

Besides another day or two in the Florida sun always beats the snow and ice in Pennsylvania ;) .

We'll be getting off the Legend as you're getting on. We'll try to leave it at least semi-intact for you...:D

You're lucky if you have someone to stay with as the hotel prices for this time are outta sight! And you're right, a few days in the Florida sun will beat this PA/Ohio weather any day! Have a great time!

We'll be getting off the Legend as you're getting on. We'll try to leave it at least semi-intact for you...:D

You're lucky if you have someone to stay with as the hotel prices for this time are outta sight! And you're right, a few days in the Florida sun will beat this PA/Ohio weather any day! Have a great time!

I agree! I think the hotel prices are all inflated because of the Super Bowl :rolleyes: !

Lucky for us my parents have made arrangements to rent a house outside of Orlando for the entire month of February. So accomodations are not an issue - which is why we are flying in and out of Orlando. We can go down on Friday - spend a little time with them and then drive to Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday. It is amazing how much cheaper the flights are for Orlando as compared to Ft. Lauderdale - and we do not have to fly in the day of the cruise.

Woo-hoo....I am ready to go. 103 days and counting......;)

• 2 weeks later...
When I talked with one company yesterday they said that (although it is listed as a location) I could not drop off the car at Port Everglades - but that they did have Ft. Lauderdale locations for drop off. They said that Port Everglades is "pick up only" - which seems weird.

If we dropped the car off at another Ft. Lauderdale location, is it likely that they would then take us to the terminal?

We drop off at Quay Plaza on SE17th St. It is right across the street from the entrance to Port Everglades. They have a shuttle, But it doesn't run until Noon. We take a Taxi. $5-6 bucks. Gets us on the Ship before Noon.

Archived