Found ring in safe

birdsfly

Don't even think about leaving a baby unattended in N.Y. or N.J., your going to do jail time minimum 6-12 months. The state will take good care of the child while your doing the time.

Are there seriously people that would do this? Wait... don't answer that :rolleyes:

Don't even think about leaving a baby unattended in N.Y. or N.J., your going to do jail time minimum 6-12 months. The state will take good care of the child while your doing the time.

Will it work with a teenager?

Will it work with a teenager?

Just asked my wife and see believes the law is any minor in a car and 12 years and under unattended in your own home or any home.

GoinCruisin: We have seen it on the news, there are guilty ones that have done it.

Are there seriously people that would do this? Wait... don't answer that :rolleyes:

Just in the last year or so in our area there was a small child left in a daycare van in the high heat of the summer. The child died. Even if you think they are in capable hands they might not be safe.

Thats for sure

I am from CT.

Do you remember maybe 10 years ago a story about a woman visting NYC from I believe it was a Scandanavian country (forget which one).

She left her baby in its carriage out on the side walk in front of the window of a coffee shop while she had her breakfast inside (reportedly she was sitting at a table right at the window and was watching the baby through it.

A passerby calls the police when they spotted this unattended baby on a NYC street. The police came and eventually arrested the mother. Her defense was that she is from whatever country she was from, and in her country that was what people did. instead of cramming a restaurant with strollers and baby carriages full of screaming babies , the restaurants had little parking areas for them outside the front window of the restaurant and you could watch them from the window while you ate.

I forget exactly what punishment she ended up with, but i know the judge didn't buy it.

Thats for sure

I am from CT.

Do you remember maybe 10 years ago a story about a woman visting NYC from I believe it was a Scandanavian country (forget which one).

She left her baby in its carriage out on the side walk in front of the window of a coffee shop while she had her breakfast inside (reportedly she was sitting at a table right at the window and was watching the baby through it.

A passerby calls the police when they spotted this unattended baby on a NYC street. The police came and eventually arrested the mother. Her defense was that she is from whatever country she was from, and in her country that was what people did. instead of cramming a restaurant with strollers and baby carriages full of screaming babies , the restaurants had little parking areas for them outside the front window of the restaurant and you could watch them from the window while you ate.

I forget exactly what punishment she ended up with, but i know the judge didn't buy it.

Yep, remember that! They told her she is under the laws of N.Y. no excuses. Don't know if she did any time but they made hell for her.

T

Interesting thread, lots of roads traveled on this one.

hirty eight years ago when my first child was born no one ever thought twice about leaving an infant in a coach for a few minutes. Back in those days you had coaches the size of a crib. I'd take the baby out for a walk and when we got back and he was asleep I'd leave him sleeping in the coach by the front steps. If I went to the corner grocery store I'd leave him sleeping outside for a few minutes.

I live in a big city but 38 years ago the world was a different place. How sad.

I often leave my pocketbook at the table. On the lido deck and on other self serve restaurants. I rarely carry anything of value and believe that 98% of the people I meet are honest. I am a scatterbrain and have numerous items including sums of money returned to me. In fact only twice in my life have I lost things that were not returned.

I absolutely don't believe in finders keepers. When my children would come home with a ball they found at the playground I'd make them take it back and leave it where they found it. Whether someone else took it or not was not their business. If you didn't pay for it or if it was not a gift it is not yours. If you can't find the owner to something you should give it to charity.

My son once found $20 in the street, there was no way for him to locate the owner. I had him put it in the poor box at church. Told him his reward was the great feeling he got from helping others. I am not a goody two shoes but I do believe what goes around comes around.

I also believe that most Carnival employees are not going to jeopardize their jobs for someone's left behind stuff.

I hope the ring's owner eventually gets it back. It would be wonderful if somehow they found their way to CC.

You wouldn't leave your car running in front of a store while you go in to shop.

actually, this has been such a problem here at the 7-11 stores that they now have large posters up warning people to make sure they turn off their engines and remove their keys from the car, even if they are just running in for coffee. There has been a rash of cars stolen from the 2 stores near me and they have all been left running while the patron "just ran in for a pack of smokes (or coffee)"

Of course it does... just like there ARE some people that find things and keep them for themselves. I'd like to think that most people are good and honest however. And that includes the ship staff... I can't imagine even WANTING to cruise with some of the attitudes about the staff that some people here have!!! If I was so untrusting of those that worked on the ship, I simply wouldn't go...

I don't think it's just a matter of trust. I think it's a matter of time and effort. I think we've all been at the Purser's desk when the line was ten (or more!) people deep. More often than not, there is a line of folks there. And, they have other tasks besides the guest aspect of it. Even with the best intentions, things can get set aside and not logged or put into the lost & found. I honestly don't think that the staff of the Purser's desk would intentionally not return something to its rightful owner. But, I do honestly believe that they are often overworked - items can get mis-layed, msgs set aside, etc.

The reason I am so adamant about hoping that if I leave something, the person finding it lets the Purser's desk know, let's the cruise line's guest relations dept know, and then posts something like the OP posted is because of an experience I had in the past.

I dropped $100 out of my pocket in a grocery store parking lot. I was sicker than sick when I realized what I'd done. I called all of the stores I'd been to - one of them said that a person told them he had found money in the parking lot. The person would not tell the store how much money or in what denominations but left his name and phone number. The store passed it along to me, I called, and I was able to prove it was my money because I knew what I had dropped and how it was folded. I was very grateful that he'd handled it the way that he did. Quite honestly, the store was too. It didn't put them in a position of blame - or doubt - for anything. (My Mom worked there - she said they hated it when people turned money and jewelry in...they much preferred that people handle it the way that this gentleman did.)

btw - can't wait to hear what you do and what the result is, joetrizeo. How 'bout one of those cz cocktail rings? I saw some on clearance at a local dept store today. Think they were $10 or $12.

Archived