Whale Watching in Cabo

Baseball fan

We are booked on the Diamond Princess next year (during whale season). I don't show an excursion for whale watching. Does anyone know of a company we could book with that offers one about 9am? I found online most companies have tours at 8am or 1030. We wouldn't make the 8am and the 1030 wouldn't give us much time to wander around before having to get back on the ship.

thanks for your help

Holland America offers 2 whale watching tours, one of them being "Pirate Ship Historical Sail and Whale Watching" . Has anyone done this excursion? To me it sounds interesting in that we would be on a sailboat as opposed to one with a motor running, so should hopefully get closer to the whales? Or is it more of a tourist trap with the pirate theme being overplayed? I'm interested in hearing about the historical bit, but just wouldn't want the pirate ship theme to overshadow everything else.

The Historical part of the tour you mention is not the tour itself, it's that the ship is over 100 years old. If you aren't into the pirate theme, which is the primary focus of the tour, then you may want to consider a different tour.

The ship does sail, provided there is wind, but you'll actually get closer on a smaller boat like a zodiac, if that's what you're shooting for.

The Historical part of the tour you mention is not the tour itself, it's that the ship is over 100 years old. If you aren't into the pirate theme, which is the primary focus of the tour, then you may want to consider a different tour.

The ship does sail, provided there is wind, but you'll actually get closer on a smaller boat like a zodiac, if that's what you're shooting for.

Thanks for replying. We may have to consider a different tour. Is there usually not enough wind for sailing here? I guess what I was hoping to find was something that was more than just a whale watching cruise. Don't really have a problem with a pirate theme, and would love to sail on a tall ship, but the whale spotting part is also important to us.

For no-pirates, multi-activity whale watching, the La Princesa Catamaran fleet, Jungle Cruise, and Cabo Rey all do whale watching trips that include snorkeling and drinking. La Princesa does sail when there is enough wind.

The best way to get to sail with whales is to charter your own boat. The problem is that when you have a destination you have to get to in a certain amount of time, like say Santa Maria Cove for snorkeling, then back at a certain time, it's much easier to meet your schedule if you use the engines. If you charter the whole boat, you can just sail around, and try to see whales, not necessarily having a schedule to keep.

For no-pirates, multi-activity whale watching, the La Princesa Catamaran fleet, Jungle Cruise, and Cabo Rey all do whale watching trips that include snorkeling and drinking. La Princesa does sail when there is enough wind.

The best way to get to sail with whales is to charter your own boat. The problem is that when you have a destination you have to get to in a certain amount of time, like say Santa Maria Cove for snorkeling, then back at a certain time, it's much easier to meet your schedule if you use the engines. If you charter the whole boat, you can just sail around, and try to see whales, not necessarily having a schedule to keep.

Thanks. I'll look into these suggestions.

Are you sure about there being no whale watching excursion from the Diamond Princess? I checked today and they have one. They list it as available January through March. It is from Cabo. They actually had two. One was a Zodiac boat with only 15 passengers allowed. The other was on a larger, slower boat. http://www.princess.com/shorex/shorexdisplay.jsp?resPortId=SJD&resTradeId=M&tempresTradeId=M&tempresPortId=SJD

Hope that helps.

Archived