Is there a wine store in San Juan?

karpems

We are going to be taking a cruise out of San Juan and would like to take some nicer bottles of wine with us on the ship. With the current state of air travel and the inability to carry wine on the plane, I figured it might be easier to purchase wine right before getting on the ship. Does anyone know of any good wine shops in San Juan, preferably near the airport or cruise ship terminal? How are prices compared to the mainland?

There are stores right where you dock if you dock in Old San Juan and the prices are great. They also give lots of samples.

From the previous posts I was under the impression they just sell hard alcohol and beer. They have wine as well?

Plenty of wine stores in SJU but we've found the selections are not as extensive as the US in most of the stores. You might want to bring a bottle or two with you in your checked luggage. :cool:

Not only are the wine and liquor stores right at the cruise terminals, they are duty free with much lower prices than even the duty free shops in the city and you can immediately take your purchases with you. Remember it's allowed to bring on wine onto the ship but for liquor place them out of sight in something like a beach bag, purse or backpack. My experience is in 17 cruises I have never had liquor or beers taken by ship's security if it not visible to them but have had obvious liquor eg. in duty free shop boxes taken. By the way all seized bottles are return to your cabin on the last full day on the ship.

I leave take back home bottles visible if I don't want them taking up space in our cabin especially if it is small. This shouldn't be a problem on the Regal with it's large cabins. It is more work for the staff to issue receipts, store and return the liqour to you. Even when the Xray equipment show a bottle shape, I think I far as the staff is concerned it is wine, soda pop or grenadine and I have never been questioned about them.

Last march I got some nice 750 ml bottles of Herbsaint Liquer d'Anis, The Spirit fo New Oreans for $2US a bottle at the Pier four cruise terminal. They had other offering for $2 a bottle ( rum, volka, gin, etc.)

Word of warning....I bought a bottle of wine that was rancid from one of the duty free liquor stores inside the cruiseship terminal in San Juan. It must not have been stored right. It wasn't an expensive bottle though...so it wasn't a big deal. Just thought I would mention it.

As far as bringing wine in your luggage...I have heard that this isn't a good idea either. It gets pretty shook up from all the movement...and luggage handlers! Supposedly it can effect the taste. Although they do have wine on planes...so I don't know if it matters that much. I'm just repeating what I've read somewhere.

Maybe someone with more wine knowledge than myself can chime in.:)

CaribbeanCrazy

Archived