We're Back! Our time in GC and tour with Nativeways!

dodukes

Grand Cayman Wednesday Oct. 18 7:30am:

Tendering, eh! Actually it wasnt so bad but i'd stil rather dock. Got to the pier around 8:20 I think. There were three ships with us in port altho the Cruise cal only showed 2. The Navigator and Freedom and some other line I have never heard of. We had a tour booked with Nativeways so we decided to check in with them first. Went to the end of the pier and had to ask someone cuz I didnt see them. The guy was standing there and had our names on the list. It said 8:45 instead of the 8:30. He said that we should meet under the building at 9:40 our time which is 8:40 their time. So we had an hour to explore. Again at this port, everything was closed! ONly a couple of store where open and I took advantage knowing we had a long tour and bought a few souvernirs early. The shop were I wanted to get my famous Big Black D*** Rum was not opened yet.

We went back at just abotu 9:40 and didnt see the guy so got nervous and asked again and after alittle walk to the RC dock we caught up with him and we found the rest of the people and off to the bus it was. The bus wasnt the newest and I was a little worried. Sheldon picked us upa nd took us to the pier. Theboat was very spacious and we had 3 people with us from Nativeway, the driver(never caught her name), Everton and Sheldon. There was 22 people on board and it never felt crowded. The guides were great. Oh and the videographer Kony was on board as well.

We left and the first stop was momentary so that Everton could go get a starfish and a Conch. We all took pics and went off to the Stingray sandbar. This place was AWESOME!!!! I was the first to volunteer to hold it and it was slimy. We took pics and also got too hold it a few times and kiss it for good luck, later on sheldon gave us a back rub with the stingray. Feeding it was kinda scary at first the first time it just kinda climbe don my arm and I had to fling the food and run..lol.. the next time Kony suggested Id feed it underwater, which is what i did and it was kool!! Just suctioned it right up. The rays are pretty harmless I think. I know I know they are stil wild but they were swimming along just fine with all thousand people that were there, (not really that many but you get the point). We snorkeld a bit , touched some underwater and also took lots of pics.

We then went about 50 feet over to the snorkel area. This was the best ever. The water was very clear and the snorkeling was great. Some really nice things to see and me and dbf kinda took off a bit behind Everton. When we looked up we were reall y far form the boat and it was time to go, I dont think we got the full 40 minutes here like it was said, but we did the it at the rays. Either way the other group had a bunch of kids so i dont think they go a chance to venture far from the boat. It was a shame cuz we saw really nice things down there. Before getting in the water as well, we gave Sheldon our lunch order for Rum point.

We then took off for Rumpoint and it took about 10-15 minutes to get there. It was very nice but I think next time I will skip it altogether. Our lunch was ready when we got there and were also given water or iced tea. The beach was rocky to get in and really shallow so its probably nicest for kids. You could practially walk back to the boat. I got in the water for abit but dbf didnt. We looked around some nad went in the gift shop. We were scheduled to leave around 1:35. Unlike what the website says you dont take the boat back, they take you back to Georgetown on a bus. There was thregroups at rum point, us, the other couple from the Triumph and a group with kids from the RC. They were actaully quite obnoxious, parents and kids. At Rum point, Everton told u when to be ready, well at the last minute the kids were all still inthe sand, the adults were way out in the water and when he told them to coim in it took them another 10 minutes to take pics before they came in. of course once they came in it was another while while they got their stuff and showered off. My dbf was losing it quickly, we wanted to go back and do some shopping and this really ruined our chances at buying the liquor we wanted to get. We finally left at 2:05.

The bus ride back we were told would take about 30 minutes. Well finally at almost 3pm we were off the bus. Completely missed the chance to buy liquor and had to rush about the shops we wanted to see. On the way back to those same kids were just horrid on the bus. The bus ride back was long and it took you pretty much the entire island to get back. They pointed out some things but I thought they could have talked with us a little more. Either way no one seems to be in a hurry in GC so you are driving down the road like at 30mph. The shopping once we got back looked kool. We went to a kool store that had a bunch of pirate stuff and great souvenirs. We had to high tail it to the retail store to get my bottle of BBD rum at full price $28 but I was not leaving GC without one of these bottles..lol. We caught the next to last tender to the boat.

Overall the tour was GREAT! I would definetely suggest to skip out on Rum point, its not that exciting and really we didnt do anything there but eat. Also I expected to be back quickly on the boat not a bus ride, so you may want to clear that up. Sheldona nd Everton are really great guides, really funny and helpful and we'd definetely do the rays and snorkel with them again. GC was not an island id likely return to on a land vacation. It was alright but having had the chance to ride for an hour on the bus back, theres nothing but houses and developments coming up and unless you plan on getting a boat everyday to go snorkel, theres not much landwise to do. (unless you are rich and just want to shop). I wouldnt hesitate to go with Nativeways again, both of us REALLY enjoyed the tour, we didnt have any problems getting back to close to tender time like some have reported but the bus thing for me was a real bummer as I wanted more shopping time. And Rum point was kinda dissapointing. Again, not their fault.

We were with Nativeway in Sept. We loved the whole tour....Rum Point included. It was like this lost secluded beach with all the amenities! Very relaxing...most of our group took short naps under the "not so pretty style trees", but the view was great. We had a boat ride to and from Rum Point....so the bus drive was short for us. Wonder why they changed it up? I knew that there would not be any time for shopping, but also knew that the prices were high there, so didn't bother me. So yea...probably missing Rum Point would have worked really well for what the two of you were wanting. That's what is so nice, you can have your cake and eat it too! Glad you enjoyed it.

We were with Nativeway in Sept. We loved the whole tour....Rum Point included. It was like this lost secluded beach with all the amenities! Very relaxing...most of our group took short naps under the "not so pretty style trees", but the view was great. We had a boat ride to and from Rum Point....so the bus drive was short for us. Wonder why they changed it up? I knew that there would not be any time for shopping, but also knew that the prices were high there, so didn't bother me. So yea...probably missing Rum Point would have worked really well for what the two of you were wanting. That's what is so nice, you can have your cake and eat it too! Glad you enjoyed it.

Hey, can you tell me what there is to do at Rum Point? We have kids ages 11/13 and wanted to make sure they were not bored...should we switch to the stingray/coral gardens tour only?

are there wave runners to rent? or any other non-motorized things?

thanks!:)

I didnt see wave runners there. There is snorkeling to rent I believe but I think that is about it. Maybe nor honestly I dont remember as our group had their own. Its pretty much a relax kinda beach, not too much activity. They would probably enjoy just chilling on the shore or swimming and going out far. The water is waist high like forever, you can practially walk to the end of the dock. Maybe consider bringing your own snorkel to keep them entertained. Ther is a gift shop and a bar/food place if you want to eat more or drink a beer.

I didnt see wave runners there. There is snorkeling to rent I believe but I think that is about it. Maybe nor honestly I dont remember as our group had their own. Its pretty much a relax kinda beach, not too much activity. They would probably enjoy just chilling on the shore or swimming and going out far. The water is waist high like forever, you can practially walk to the end of the dock. Maybe consider bringing your own snorkel to keep them entertained. Ther is a gift shop and a bar/food place if you want to eat more or drink a beer.

Ok all, we at the last minute decided we were going to buy the video they made on board since we had been on it a quite a bit. Well i am glad I did, just got the video today and its AWESOME!!! Im glad I got it cuz theres stuff on there i would have never caught with my camera. It was a nice surprise and it was only 30 minutes long, not too torturous to sit thru and great music throughout!

Ok all, we at the last minute decided we were going to buy the video they made on board since we had been on it a quite a bit. Well i am glad I did, just got the video today and its AWESOME!!! Im glad I got it cuz theres stuff on there i would have never caught with my camera. It was a nice surprise and it was only 30 minutes long, not too torturous to sit thru and great music throughout!

So, were YOU in the video as well? if so, how long? thanks!

and it is $60 CASH only?

Yes I was in the video, I wasnt taking it they carry a videographer along, is that what you are asking me??? yes we were both in the video quite a bit, and the things i didnt catch with my camera (like me feeding the ray underwater) is what i mostly wanted to see. Anyway its 30 minutes long and you can pay cash or credit card, we payed with cc and it was $66 with shipping. got it in abotu week and a half. any other ?'s just let me know..

Yes I was in the video, I wasnt taking it they carry a videographer along, is that what you are asking me??? yes we were both in the video quite a bit, and the things i didnt catch with my camera (like me feeding the ray underwater) is what i mostly wanted to see. Anyway its 30 minutes long and you can pay cash or credit card, we payed with cc and it was $66 with shipping. got it in abotu week and a half. any other ?'s just let me know..

great thanks, sometimes you get a video and you are like "was i even there?" so that is good to hear they actually got the people and not just underwater action! Cant wait, will be there in about 3 weeks!!

Archived