Female Captains/Officers?

INCHARGE

Does anyone know of any female Captains on Carnival or any other cruiselines? Someone was asking about female officers. During the line-up onstage, I remember females being called up, but not sure of their rank.

Last year on the Holiday, the head purser was female.

The captain was introduced by CD Risa Barnes as follows - -

"Your Captain, The Master of the Vessel, Captain Roberto Volpi!"

I have an uncle who is an old merchant sea captain. When he talked about the ships, he said the captain is the 'master', and always has three 'ship officers' or mates (first, second, and third), a chief engineer, and then on down the line. He has referred to himself as the 'senior captain' at times. That's all the info I can offer.

A Captian is a title referring to anyone with their master's license.

the cruise ships pretty much require a licensed officer be rated for unrestricted tonnage due to the huge size of the ships. I belive the USCG and the country of registry have to have them licensed.

The master of the vessel is the guy in charge. His ship, his crew, he is the BOSS!

On CCL at least the rankings go this way:

Captain (master)

Staff Captain

Safety Officer

First Deck Officer (licensed, first watch with deck cadet)

2x Second Deck Officer (at least one licensed, other may be unlicensed)

2xThird Deck Officer (same as above, occasionally there may be one third and an extra cadet)

1x Asst. Safety Officer

1x Deck Cadet (occasionally two)

As far as female officers, they are more common in the hotel and purser's depts. but I do know one female officer in the deck department. Her name is Giuseppa Arena and she was Deck Cadet on Paradise in 6/03, and then was promoted to asst. safety officer in 12/03.

Yes, the captain is the master. It is an ancient tradition of leadership that assures the safety and success of a voyage. A ship's master is, by international convention, the sole authority on a vessel at sea. Before radio communications, a ship was isolated so the captain/master was responsible for everything onboard. A master has the power of arrest, the authority to decide how, where and when the ship will sail and to delegate tasks and duties as he/she sees fit. If anything goes wrong, the master takes responsibility.

As mentioned above, a ship's captain must hold a Masters License issued by the country of registry and in the case of most cruise lines, endorsed by the U.S. Coast Guard. To command a large cruise ship, the license is an Unlimited which means "any tonnage, any ocean". Most captain's also hold qualifications as Pilot First Class which permits them to sail in channels, rivers and canals.

It takes at least 10 years of work experience and study to qualify as a Master and even more years to move up to unlimited tonnage. Most skippers are graduates of merchant marine acadamies (most countries have at least one) or even the Coast Guard Academy.

DeckCadet...Thank you so much for the break-down. I think this is interesting things to know. I am one of those people that likes to know how things operate. One day I look to see this female captain :) Being a female myself, I love to see the rise of another female up the ladder of their choice. I see on your aviatar that you are with Captain Garuccio! I'll bet they miss Josh on the Paradise. I loved that ship. He was not there on my first trip in 2000, but was there for 2002. If your name indicates your rank, you are moving on up yourself! Good for you.

JerseyJim2...Wow, I LOVE all of this great info. How do you have all of this knowledge? Are you a captain-incognito?? ;) lov-n-it!! While on the Destiny, there were 2 officers at the Captains' table who were in training under the captain. They told my friend and her husband that were training to become captains. I can't remember their ranks.

Does anyone know of any female Captains on Carnival or any other cruiselines? Someone was asking about female officers. During the line-up onstage, I remember females being called up, but not sure of their rank.

I hope not :eek:

Sounds to me like livtojump is a sexist. don't think I would WANT HIM as captain just because of his attitude never mind whether he would be qualified or not. I guess he will probally have a stroke if the US ever has a woman president which is bound to happen in most of our lifetimes. I wonder if he is a racist too?

No major cruise line has a female ship's Master. Main reason is that the ships must keep a tight schedule, and we all know that women are always late to everything, assuming they can make up their mind where they really want to go!

Please, no flames...I was making a funny. Guess you would have to be a man to understand.

Mark T.

Sounds to me like livtojump is a sexist. don't think I would WANT HIM as captain just because of his attitude never mind whether he would be qualified or not. I guess he will probally have a stroke if the US ever has a woman president which is bound to happen in most of our lifetimes. I wonder if he is a racist too?

Poor form

No, I'm not a sexist. However I'm very big on "tradition". Yes, I would probably have a stroke if there was a female elected to that Office or the Office of VP. This is just MO, to which I am entitled.

No as a matter of fact I'm not a racist.

As far as you not wanting me to be the Captain. That's fine by me, however as Captain I'd run a "tight ship" making sure that the "rules" were being enforced by the crew.

:rolleyes:

No, I'm not a sexist. However I'm very big on "tradition". Yes, I would probably have a stroke if there was a female elected to that Office or the Office of VP. This is just MO, to which I am entitled.

No as a matter of fact I'm not a racist.

As far as you not wanting me to be the Captain. That's fine by me, however as Captain I'd run a "tight ship" making sure that the "rules" were being enforced by the crew.

:rolleyes:

well...

kinda ok

ok

tap..tap..tap...

No major cruise line has a female ship's Master. Main reason is that the ships must keep a tight schedule, and we all know that women are always late to everything, assuming they can make up their mind where they really want to go!

Please, no flames...I was making a funny. Guess you would have to be a man to understand.

Mark T.

You are sooooo cruel to us ladies!! :) seriously, that was funny! You just wait!! You guys are gonna eat your words. :) Captain Gloria Giavanni ( :) ) is gonna throw livtojump overboard!! just kidding liv, because you ARE entitled to your opinion. We all are. Who knows, she probably will be an excellent captain, because we are so good at what we do. :)

The terms Master and Captain are interchangeable for the same job. I hold a US unlimited Masters license and sail as a Captain of a deepwater drillship (I am on the ship in the Gulf of Mexico right now). Many Master's hold licenses from different countries so they can sail on ships of different registries. My licenses are US and Panamanian depending on the ship. It does take many years of sailing to upgrade to Master and the requirements and qualifications seem to get harder with the new international laws we must all comply with. The Master/Captain are still the ultimate authority on board when it comes to the safety and security of the ship, crew, passengers and cargo. There are several female masters of commercial merchant ships however I have never heard of one on a cruise liner.

mike at sea...Thank you for the info. Sounds very interesting. How do you like your line of work? It is obvious that you also love to cruise. Is it true that you are out there for long, long periods of time, and then you get off for long periods of time also? If so, how long do you get off in one period? It is good to know that there are female masters, even if not on a cruise liner. That is next! Maybe she will be on the Valor! :)

InCharge. I really enjoy my work. I have been working on different kinds of ships for the last 23 years. I managed to resist my wifes requests to go on cruises for 17 years of that. After all who wants to vacation at work. I am glad I finally broke down and have never regreted a moment of cruising. The only problem is the cruises are getting closer and closer together. It was 11 months between the first and second cruises then only 9 months between the second and third. Now we are looking to book again in January 2005 lol. I enjoy them a lot. At this job I usually work a 3 week on and 3 week off rotation. I enjoy having the 6 months off a year to spend with family and take trips. I get off tomorrow (today) morning by helicopter then fly out from the NO airport. I am taking an extra week off this time and we are spending a month touring the northeast by car. It should be a great trip. Have a nice night/day as I will be ;).

Mike

Archived