Cozumel Beach/Shopping on own w/kids?

bitner4

Cruising Carnival Glory 11/18. After reading the message boards (thanks to all for this site!), I am strongly considering going to beach via cab or port tour rather through ship. We have a 6 and 10 year old. What beach do you recommend for food/drinks but also fun for kids and relatively close to ship. Possibly do some local shopping also in beach area. Thanks! Any guidance on transport, safety, tips and who to ask for at beach/resorts would be awesome!

Cruising Carnival Glory 11/18. After reading the message boards (thanks to all for this site!), I am strongly considering going to beach via cab or port tour rather through ship. We have a 6 and 10 year old. What beach do you recommend for food/drinks but also fun for kids and relatively close to ship. Possibly do some local shopping also in beach area. Thanks! Any guidance on transport, safety, tips and who to ask for at beach/resorts would be awesome!

Cozumel is very safe and can easily be done on your own. A taxi for 4 will cost you around $14 one way and $14 back to Paradise Beach. The beach is clean and family oriented. You have the option to purchase a wristband for $9 (after Nov 1st) that gives you the use of all non-motorzied toys and that includes life vests. Iceberg, water trampoline, kayak, snorkeling ($10 deposit that will be refunded when equipment is returned)

Chairs, tables, lounges and shade are all free. All they ask is that you buy something to eat and/or drink. Our family of four has been there many times. Our oldest son always gets the wristband, but the rest of us are not into that...so we don't. We just "chill" with those wonderful drinks and great food. There are showers and restrooms there.

You or hubby can get an excellent massage right there on the beach for $1 a minute with a 15 minute minimum.

We were not bothered all day long with peddlers. We were asked 3 times about a massage, a tatoo and a para sail ride during the day. We simply said "no thank you" and that was the end of that.

Paradise Beach has their prices in American money, but most restaurants will have it listed in pecos. So if you see $70.00 for a drink, don't panic. That is pecos. American will be about 10%. Most stores have the price listed both ways. But if you have any questions about the price...just ask. They are wonderful people who are just glad you are there!!

Paradise Beach does take credit card and your bank will make the conversion when they post it to your statement.

Ok now for the shopping. This is really a person choice, but IF the Glory docks at Punta Langosta...there are some shops right across the road from the dock.

Hubby and I have cruised with our 2 boys since they were 5 and 8. When the oldest was 12, we would do our family thing in the morning and then take the boys back to the ship to Camp Carnival and then go back into "town" for some shopping on our own.

Only you know if you are comfortable doing this. In the good ole days, the shopping was right there at the Puerta Maya dock. (the Carnival dock now destroyed) So I had no problem leaving the boys on the ship and walking to the end of the dock.

Now I would not have ever done that if we were tendering in. Nor would I do it if we had to take a taxi into downtown for shopping. But if you are lucky enough to dock at Punta Langosta, this may be an option for 30 minutes or so.

If you do take the boys with you (which we have done many times) I will share my "parenting tip when shopping"....I had one phrase that I repeated to my sons upon entering every store...

"if it ain't yours...don't touch it!!"

They are now 15 and 18 and that seems to have worked well in all situations.

Shopping, visiting the home of friends, when friends visited us etc.

Make sure you keep your watch on SHIP time. Port times can vary. As you leave the ship, there will be a clock right there with the ship's time on it.

And as for taxis to the beach...don't worry. Taxis are like fleas in Cozumel. And when you get ready to come back...don't worry about that either. On the very RARE chance that there isn't 100 taxis waiting to take to back to the port, Tom (we call him Paradise Tom) will be more than happy to call you one. Tom is the manager. He is from Canada and is super nice!!!

Have a great cruise!!

We take a cab to Paradise Beach first & it's great! Then we take a cab to Cinco Sole (store) which has a great selection of souveniers. Panchos Backyard is in the courtyard at Cinco Sole & we go there for food/great margueritas. Great atmosphere. Then we begin walking back toward the ship shopping. When we get tired, we take a cab back to the ship. Love Cozumel! Have a great trip.

Archived