Should I 'Self-Assist' Debark?

mzbiggs

I'm sailing on the 12/3 sailing for the Conquest. Just found out today that I have to leave for a business trip the same day the ship gets back!!

Of course I need to make flight arrangements, but I'm concerned about how fast I'll get off the ship (I've never flown before, so I don't want to fly at night -- already scared enough!!)

For those who have sailed the Conquest and chosen to debark on their own, approximately what time did you actually make it off the ship? I'm flying out of Hobby Airport, so I know how long it will take me to get there, I'm just concerned about how long it will take me to get off the ship!

Thanks in advance for your replies!!!

Since you're on page 4 with no replies, I'll give you my thoughts....

I didn't do self assist debarkation on the Conquest a few weeks ago, but saw many who did. I'd say most were off the ship around 8am - and there were a lot of them. I wouldn't have wanted to be in that mass exodus.;)

However, you have to remember that there could possibly be a delay in the ship returning to port, or customs delays before they allow anyone to leave the ship. A lot of ifs...so no one can tell you exactly how it will be on the day of your debarkation. Having to make the drive to Hobby, I wouldn't make any plane reservations prior to noon.

I'd love to try it sometime... but there is NO way I could pack light enough to do it :p

Last week we had delays and they were still calling self assist at 10:30 (they started at 7:30, and they are only supposed to have a 1 hour window)... ALOT of people used self assist!! NO WAY for me!!! But alot of people do it and love it... don't count on a specific time though... if you can handle taking your bags up and down flights of stairs and maneuvering on your own, go for it!!

We tried it on Elation (our 1st cruise). DH and I had 3 bags and 1 carry on. Our bags were all on rollers and it was a breeze. We left our room at about 7:30 and were at FLL airport by 9:15! It was not very crowded. There were elevators at the cruise center and the wait was not long. We will do self assist in the future. We actually had a flight out at 12:10 and were able to move it up to around 9:50. It was really smooth!

Barb

If you flying out of Houston, also plan for a 1-2 hour commute to the airport depending on which airport you go to. One hour for Hobby, 90 minutes to 2 hours for IAH.

I would also suggest purchasing a fare that is refundable or can be rescheduled without any penalty. In case you or the ship is delayed.

Archived