Tips, tricks and must dos on Noordam

elizj13

I'm leaving on the Noordam in 4 weeks (first HAL cruise) and wanted to get everyones advice on tips, tricks, must dos/sees, suggestions and recommendations while on the ship. I would hate to come back and realize we missed something fantastic just because we didn't ask! I've heard the thermal suites are great, as are the culinary classes and I've also heard something about a lounge that offers appetizers before dinner??????? Thanks

There is a trio in, I think, the Ocean Bar (Porto Fino might be the name; they are from Italy): Piano, electric bass and drums. They do the American Standard Songbook and there is room for dancing. A very good group and I recommend them. They are friendly during breaks and after their time is up. The pianist is friendly but does not speak English.

The 5,000-book library has anything you want, including an atlas to show you where you are. However, outside the library are two wall-mounted panels which you can arrange (at least one of them) by a touch menu on the bottom. Touch the screen to bring it up. It will tell you everything you want to know about the ship, its crew and where you are. The librarian (young black lady) is worth the price of admission; very animated gal, very friendly.

I used the in-cabin tv as a night-light. Set it to the bridge or aft cameras (probably ch 43 or 44) and you will get a faint glow along with, if you choose it, light classical music on one of the channels. When daytime comes, you will see the sun coming up and the sea appearing. This was helpful to me, as I had an inside.

There is a large shielded deck above the Crow's Nest and you might find that a good place to hang out and forget the world around you. Just be careful you don't burn.

The Noordam rides well, but some people used the patch against the rough seas we had coming back from the Caribbean.

We have a nice roll call going for the 11/25 Noordam cruise, but I don't recall seeing you on it. If you will be on our cruise (and your 4 week timing would seem to indicate that you are), please join us on our roll call. If you don't know where the roll calls are, there is an entire set of roll call boards shown on the first page of the boards. Click on Holland America roll calls, then on Noordam roll calls, then find our roll call.

Your always so kind to everyone. Thanks ! Wish there were more people like youall!:cool:

We have a nice roll call going for the 11/25 Noordam cruise, but I don't recall seeing you on it. If you will be on our cruise (and your 4 week timing would seem to indicate that you are), please join us on our roll call. If you don't know where the roll calls are, there is an entire set of roll call boards shown on the first page of the boards. Click on Holland America roll calls, then on Noordam roll calls, then find our roll call.

• 4 weeks later...
There is a trio in, I think, the Ocean Bar (Porto Fino might be the name; they are from Italy): Piano, electric bass and drums. They do the American Standard Songbook and there is room for dancing.

Well, sort of! Very small dance floor, hardly room to move at least during my recent big band transatlantic!

A very good group and I recommend them.

I agree. Yes, they are called Porto Fino and they play a good variety of music

The 5,000-book library has anything you want, including an atlas to show you where you are. However, outside the library are two wall-mounted panels which you can arrange (at least one of them) by a touch menu on the bottom. Touch the screen to bring it up. It will tell you everything you want to know about the ship, its crew and where you are. The librarian (young black lady) is worth the price of admission; very animated gal, very friendly.

Her name is Tisa Fothergill and she is a delightful young lady. Actually, she's not only a librarian: she has a degree in computer science and is a trained opera singer. She loves to dance after the Exploration Cafe closes in the evening, even with an old guy like me. Tell her that Bob from the October big band crossing sends his best!

Not to be missed: Randall Powell's performances in the Piano Bar. Hope he's still on board.

If you're intersted in my more extensive impressions of the Noordam, see my recently posted review In the Member Reviews page of Cruise Critic.

Archived