Deal, or No Deal?

bubbles1209

Simple answer, scroll to the top of this page. You will see the Cruise Critic Banner, 2 lines below is a link to CC Home, to the right is a link to Cruise Agencies. [ All advertisers on CC, they pay for our habit] Click on that and you'll find 15+ links to shop your cruise.

You can act like you're booking your cruise and get an exact quote instead of our opinions which are good overall but might be poor for any particular cruise.

For instance, we got home last week from a 10 day Southern Carib. cruise on Princess. [RT FLL.] We drove to the port [2hrs.] so no air cost. But total for 10 days in a BA [top deck balcony cabin] plus parking was $2600 total for 2 incl all taxes, etc.

Makes your price for a bottom end cabin 6 day sound poor. But the agency quotes will tell you if you did well or not. Last year we took a 14 day Princess cruise for $2600 for 2 OV. Looked up that cruise 2 days ago, this year its $2589. PP plus taxes for an OV [all else sold out] So more than double what we paid last year.

Research the agencies, then you'll know.

Dan

Ok, so I researched a few, and the prices were, well one exactly the same as what I already have, and the rest, even higher. Guess we can't fuss about the air & hotel too much, the superbowl is in town the week-end before, and the next week-end is president's day week-end. That may explain the air & hotel rates somewhat. I was never fussing to begin with though. I'm still gonna enjoy my cruise:)

It sounds ike you did your homework, got the cabin you wanted, and made decisions that work for you about flying from Augusta versus driving to Atlanta or FLL. GIven all that, it sounds like you got a reasonable deal, which is about all a person can hope for.

Sure, you could have set up cheaper transportation to the port and/or gotten a cheaper hotel, but the package you bought sounds like it works for you. You didn't WANT to drive to Atlanta or FLL, and that is the biggest cost that could be reduced.

So enjoy your vacation, try not to second-guess yourself too much, and just relax.

It sounds ike you did your homework, got the cabin you wanted, and made decisions that work for you about flying from Augusta versus driving to Atlanta or FLL. GIven all that, it sounds like you got a reasonable deal, which is about all a person can hope for.

Sure, you could have set up cheaper transportation to the port and/or gotten a cheaper hotel, but the package you bought sounds like it works for you. You didn't WANT to drive to Atlanta or FLL, and that is the biggest cost that could be reduced.

So enjoy your vacation, try not to second-guess yourself too much, and just relax.

:) thanks virginiab, dh really didn't want to deal with the post superbowl traffic (some people stay over) or the President's Day Holiday traffic. Airlines & hotel aside, I think a 1a with 2 oceanview windows without the cost of an oceanview room is pretty good.:)

It sounds like the airfare part is the what you are paying a lot for. Take a look at your airline flight times a see how long they all add up to including getting to the airport early. If they add up to the amount of time that you could drive to the port then I would think that driving would be an better option.

Well, I did the math for my next cruise, Jan. '07, $2174 per person for an '8' day cruise, round trip air fare from Ottawa Canada to FT. Lauderdale and a 1 night stay in a hotel stay in Ft. Lauderdale.

Now you seem to have paid a more than we did!

Legend Jan 07, 8 days, 2 people

Verandah Deck, extended balcony, port side midship, assigned cabin

Airfare and transfers from Ottawa/Fort Lauderdale

Deviation fee to fly in a day earlier (got to pick our flight with Air and Sea)

Total $2900.US$

Hotel, which we booked ourselves $143.00

Car, which we booked ourselves $40.00

Total $3083.00US

Even if you were to add in all our excursions, $650.00US

I realize that the ship you are sailing on is larger than the Legend, but when I checked on the difference of price, after I booked, it was only a few dollars more, and we booked directly through CCL.

It sounds like the airfare part is the what you are paying a lot for. Take a look at your airline flight times a see how long they all add up to including getting to the airport early. If they add up to the amount of time that you could drive to the port then I would think that driving would be an better option.
I can't check the flight times yet to see how long they are, because we don't have that information yet. We will get that information with our documents when they come.

Ok, I checked the delta site for the flight times, it's a 4 hour flight including layover vs. a 9 1/2 hour drive to the port. Even if we drive to Atlanta it's still 4 hours between driving and flying, so no difference in time there, and not much in the price. From Atlanta to Miami, they want around 368pp for the flight. We're paying $419pp from Augusta to Miami, a difference of $51.00, and it would cost more than that for 6 days parking in Atlanta.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Ok, I checked the delta site for the flight times, it's a 4 hour flight including layover vs. a 9 1/2 hour drive to the port. Even if we drive to Atlanta it's still 4 hours between driving and flying, so no difference in time there, and not much in the price. From Atlanta to Miami, they want around 368pp for the flight. We're paying $419pp from Augusta to Miami, a difference of $51.00, and it would cost more than that for 6 days parking in Atlanta.

You don't fly to Miami. You fly to FLL. It is cheaper and the port is midway between the two airports.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
:o I looked up the correct flight (FLL), just typed in the wrong port, meant to say Lauderdale:o

O.K. To the OP, just have the bestest, bestest, bestest time. Don't worry about whether it is the best deal. It was a great deal for you and yours!!!

Enjoy!!!

O.K. To the OP' date=' just have the bestest, bestest, bestest time. Don't worry about whether it is the best deal. It was a great deal for you and yours!!!

Enjoy!!![/quote']Thanks, we cant' wait:D Liberty isn't doing many 6 day cruises, and it's the only chance we'll get to sail her anytime soon, because we don't have enough vacation time built up between us to go on the longer ones. We're excited:)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Thanks, we cant' wait:D Liberty isn't doing many 6 day cruises, and it's the only chance we'll get to sail her anytime soon, because we don't have enough vacation time built up between us to go on the longer ones. We're excited:)

I want a complete and thorough breakdown on your cruise. I want pictures and I want to know everything. I am going on the Liberty in May, 07

Have yourself a blast and remember Cruzin' Suzin says: eat a lot, drink a lot, cheer a lot, dance a lot, sing a lot (loudly), don't gamble too much, stay up late, wake up early and end your cruise completely exhausted!!!!!:p

You don't fly to Miami. You fly to FLL. It is cheaper and the port is midway between the two airports.

Not even close, Port Everglades is RIGHT NEXT to FLL, Miami airport and Miam port are 45 minutes to the south.

p.s. you can fly out of Charlotte for about $217 per person round trip, it is about a two hour drive, but ultimately this is why the "did I get a good deal" or "how much" type threads don't make any sense, what I would do and what you would do are two totally different things. I certainly would have found a way to reduce my airfare at least by driving some part of it, or driving all of it, so that I could be in a balcony cabin and spend money on "other" things for your same price...

Not even close, Port Everglades is RIGHT NEXT to FLL, Miami airport and Miam port are 45 minutes to the south.

p.s. you can fly out of Charlotte for about $217 per person round trip, it is about a two hour drive, but ultimately this is why the "did I get a good deal" or "how much" type threads don't make any sense, what I would do and what you would do are two totally different things. I certainly would have found a way to reduce my airfare at least by driving some part of it, or driving all of it, so that I could be in a balcony cabin and spend money on "other" things for your same price...

Yeah, I agree with you dood! We are doing the same sailing in 3 weeks over Thanksgiving. We did the balcony guarantee and ended up with an 8C on Verandah Deck; total cost $1357; one night pre-cruise at the Amerisuites $85; round trip cost to drive my Honda to FLL $110; one week parking at the pier $72; trip insurance $144. Total cost $1768 for two. That's how some of us can cruise 3 or 4 times a year.

Yeah, I agree with you dood! We are doing the same sailing in 3 weeks over Thanksgiving. We did the balcony guarantee and ended up with an 8C on Verandah Deck; total cost $1357; one night pre-cruise at the Amerisuites $85; round trip cost to drive my Honda to FLL $110; one week parking at the pier $72; trip insurance $144. Total cost $1768 for two. That's how some of us can cruise 3 or 4 times a year.

AMEN!!! We have cruised three times in the last year, were trying for a fourth, we probably won't make it. We have done the six day Liberty, 5 day Ecstasy, and 5 day Imagination. Liberty was done for less than 2K for a balcony, the others around 1K, and that includes flying all the way across the country for the Florida departures and 24 hours round trip in a van to Galveston! No problem mon' worth every penny we saved so that we could squeeze in an extra trip.

Now I just need to figure out how to get more paid time off from work;)

We are sailing the liberty feb 25 and ran into some pretty steep hotel prices for Feb. So we decided to fly to Orlando stay there see Disney and then short flight to Fll the day of the Cruise!! We also got a balcony on Panorama Deck for 619.00 pp :)

bubbles1209,

My DH told me years ago when I would spend my time trying to see if I got the best price for something that I was gonna always find out from someone or somewhere that they got it for less and drive myself crazy... He said if it is what you want & are happy with it then stop comparing & enjoy ! You know he was right, now I shop for what I want but after I purchase it I stop looking, so not to drive myself crazy. Now in the cruise situation, if I see what I have already signed on for goes down ( due to Carnival sales they send me or info on these boards ) I do call my PVP to see if I am eligible for a credit but if I am not I am fine with that as I shopped & accepted the price to begin with. You are always gonna find on these boards someone that probably got a better deal than you did but there are sooooo many varibles to each persons price I can not see how you can compare unless they are on the same cruise,same stateroom, same hotel, same flight, get the same discounts (past cruiser, senior, military, state etc) & book with the same agency at the same time as you. See Varibles !!! All that being said,don't drive yourself crazy worrying about if you got a good or bad deal, go on your cruise & enjoy. :D

what price for a cruise 8 days april 28th 07 4g i know we can't say names.... how about prices?????:D :D

Can't say about 4/28, but we are sailing 4/14 and are booked in a cat. 9A aft wrap around (kinda splurging on this one, but cruisemate is paying half, lol). Our total price for three is $3047 ($1249 ea for first two, $549 for 3rd person). We just booked our pre-cruise hotel thru Hotwire; got the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for $100 per night.

AMEN!!! We have cruised three times in the last year, were trying for a fourth, we probably won't make it. We have done the six day Liberty, 5 day Ecstasy, and 5 day Imagination. Liberty was done for less than 2K for a balcony, the others around 1K, and that includes flying all the way across the country for the Florida departures and 24 hours round trip in a van to Galveston! No problem mon' worth every penny we saved so that we could squeeze in an extra trip.

Now I just need to figure out how to get more paid time off from work;)

Oh Man! My TA always beat Carnival's direct price, so for years, i've been thinking i've been getting a good deal. but now this thread has me thinking i've really been overpaying! i am not getting the deals you guys are getting. mrdood -- do you use the same TA all of the time or shop around to different ones to get these "sweet" under $1k deals? Do you use the CC Board's list as someone posted earlier?

Oh Man! My TA always beat Carnival's direct price, so for years, i've been thinking i've been getting a good deal. but now this thread has me thinking i've really been overpaying! i am not getting the deals you guys are getting. mrdood -- do you use the same TA all of the time or shop around to different ones to get these "sweet" under $1k deals? Do you use the CC Board's list as someone posted earlier?

I make my own deals, on the Last trip we got an OV on sale and paid $279 each for the room with past cruiser discount, paid $218 each on a sale from the SW to Fort. Lauderdale for round trip flights, we paid $379 each for the Ecstasy cruise, no sale, but only spent $150 total for both of us on gas and a hotel.

Don't get my wrong, I am not including our on board bills, but that is not what the OP asked about and everybody spends differently. Comparisons are very silly, I have a lot of disposable income, but I always shop for a deal anyway, we do much more than cruise.

I make my own deals, on the Last trip we got an OV on sale and paid $279 each for the room with past cruiser discount

But how do you make your own deals? I call around and see what rates i get quoted (w/ taxes and port charges), then i call carnival, then i call my TA and say what can you do for me? Without me ever telling her what i've been quoted, she's always beat the prices i rec'd. but i'm thinkin' i'm not calling the right places to get my quotes. my quotes must be high to start!

do you do internet searches (if so, do you do them through sites here?) then call someone and say "can you beat it?" or do you go through carnival. you mentioned the past guest discount. do you always get this even when someone says they've given you a bigger break than a past guest discount wld have given you?

Re: total trip cost -- i'm not thinking about air or my sign and sail bill. just the cruise. (my sign and sail is always so high, i shld have stock in carnival. in fact, i think i am going to purchase some). :)

But how do you make your own deals? I call around and see what rates i get quoted (w/ taxes and port charges), then i call carnival, then i call my TA and say what can you do for me? Without me ever telling her what i've been quoted, she's always beat the prices i rec'd. but i'm thinkin' i'm not calling the right places to get my quotes. my quotes must be high to start!

do you do internet searches (if so, do you do them through sites here?) then call someone and say "can you beat it?" or do you go through carnival. you mentioned the past guest discount. do you always get this even when someone says they've given you a bigger break than a past guest discount wld have given you?

Re: total trip cost -- i'm not thinking about air or my sign and sail bill. just the cruise. (my sign and sail is always so high, i shld have stock in carnival. in fact, i think i am going to purchase some). :)

I book direct, if you are flexible with your travel, which we were on the last Imagination cruise, you can always get a deal under $300 each for a five day, especially if you don't care about cabin or location.

I book direct with Carnival but I am a CCL stockholder, which if you cruise frequently and have the money is worth it!

Archived