MEN-what shirts do u wear under suits

Long with a suit..because..well its a suit, ya know? Kinda like wearing tennis shoes with your evening gown. Now, if we are talking sportcoat here, a nice tailored short sleeve shirt is ok, but a sportcoat is a bit more casual.

If you are going to wear a Suit or a Blazer, the expected dress shirt to be worn with a coat is a long sleve shirt. The main reason is the cuff of the shirt. A well fit coat is expected to show approx. 1/4" to 3/8" of shirt cuff extending beyond the cuff of the coat. Notice those individuals wearing a good tuxedo and you will see the french cuffs with the cuff links extending beyond the coat of the Tux.

Fashion wisdom is absolutely a long sleeve... but when it's hot and humid, I have worn very nice short sleeve dress shirts under a suit or blazer. They are actually hard to find since it's out of the norm. It's far more comfortable in the heat.. and hello, it's a vacation. But I always wear a proper tux (and long sleeved formal shirt) on formal nights, though. It would be way too obvious with a tux.

I warm weather I always wear this short-sleeve black shirt that goes perfectly with my suit. It has the advantage also of not needing a tie, yet looks utterly dressed-up. Perfect for the warm weather.

Since I don't own a tux, for formal occasions I wear a dark double breasted suit with a white long sleeve banded collar shirt. I use a silver and onyx button cover to class it up a little. I also have a medium gray banded collar shirt which requires no button cover.

For semi formal occasions, I will wear the same suit with a long sleeve shirt and tie.

For less formal occasions, I wear the same suit with a black or gray ribbed shortsleeve t-shirt style shirt. Less formal but still looks classy.

There are some pictures on our webshots link. Check out the Rhapsody at sea link.

Short sleeves do not look proper under a suit, (as stated many times above), but also it just FEELS WEIRD!!

Yes, it's hot, and on our cruise, I couldn't wait to change into something cooler, but during those times a suit was required, I always wore the proper attire under.

(Now if you were asking boxers or briefs under a suit - weeeeeelllllll, that's another matter)!!!! LOL

Yep, always long sleeves for me. I agree that short sleeves look odd under a suit (and for me, they just look plain odd). Short sleeves are fine for sportswear. Also, I like my jacket sleeves a bit short so the cuffs show.

I agree with everyone about shirt and tie, the shirt must be long sleeve. Now I have to admit that on occasion I do wear a suit with a silk dress tee (if you can call a tee dress). On these occasions the norm might be smart casual. But if I know I am going to be in a mixed crowd where there will be everything from suits and ties, to sport coats to polos, I usually than opt for suit with tee. Looks dressy enough to be dressy yet comfortaable enough to be casual.

My DH always wears long sleaves under suits, but he will on occasion wear a short sleave shirt under a sport jacket with no tie. For formal nights he wears his black suit with a formal white shirt and bow tie. Looks like a tux.

I think you and I must be talking about the same thing: "Dress tee" is an interesting way of referring to it. It's truly a dress shirt (at least the one I have is), just without collar or long sleeves.

Formal nights, I wear either a white or dark colored long sleaved, semi-formal/alternate dining, I'll wear a sports coat with either a long sleaved dress shirt or long sleaved mock-turtle neck. As stated above, a properly fitted coat will expose the ends of your sleaves (how else can everyone see my cuff links :) )

You must always wear a long sleeve shirt. No reason why......ooohhhh wait have any of you guys watched any of the revenge of the nerds, if you want to look like one of those nerds then go ahead.

Really long sleeve needs to be warn with a suit, it would feel weird to wear cuff links on you elbow. LOL.

Archived