self-disembarkation: Canadians?

m2d1

Sorry, only US citizens can use the express debarkation.

Please keep this in mind since the normal debarkation process appears to take longer now. On Victory last May, making my 1PM flight using carnival transfers was really tight even though I was in the very first group/colour called. Had there been any extensive line at airport check-in it's doubtful I would have made it. Getting off the ship was a huge mess, lines inside the ship were extremely long and slow moving.

As a Canadian myself I will now think twice about scheduling an early flight home and stick to the recommended 2PM or later.

Having to deal with Cdn winters, I guess you could call me risk adverse when it comes to scheduling things that can be delayed by the weather.... that's why we are flying in the day before the cruise and flying out the day after. I'd rather pay for two extra nights at a hotel than risk losing the thousands of dollars for the cruise and airfare. For disembarkation, I think we'll just stay on the boat ... hopefully a bar will be open.... until the bulk of the passengers have left and then we can leave at our leisure without line-ups.

Thanks for the info. I just assumed that Cdns. could do the self-disembarkation thing!! I have a question if another Cdn can answer it. I have a passport with my 2 kids on it(got it in Nov.2000). My husband needs to get one, but do I HAVE to get separate ones for the kids. I will check with the Gov't, but if anyone can give me a quick answer now that would be great! Thanks!! Enjoy your cruise everyone!

Hi: I just checked the passport office website and it seems that while kids need to have their own passports now since Dec 11, 2001, kids who are on their parent's current passport are Ok until their parent's passport expires. Nevertheless, if I were in your position, I would apply for new separate passports for the kids. It will make things much simpler for travel in the future... and remember that the effective expiry date of your passport is actually 6 months earlier than that stated on the passport.

Regards

m2d1, Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! I might just be cheap and keep them on mine until it expires-we do not do much traveling like a cruise etc.-and then get them theirs when I have to get my new one. I will definitely bring their Birth Certificates along for the cruise. I never knew about the expiry date thing. Thanks again! Brenda

This is due to the port law changes that occurred July 1. My hubby is Canadian, and he could self disembark. The change was that he went through immigration on the ship at 6:15 AM the day we returned. That's also when he got his passport back. He was completely cleared at that point, and could have self disembarked; we didn't, just walked down and grabbed bags at customs and walked out. There was no going through immigration in the cruise terminal for any passengers. This was Port Canaveral coming back from the Fantasy.

Furry

Hopefully it's the same here in Miami. My wife is the only "Canadian" in the bunch. I put it in quotes because she was born in Toronto, lived there until she was 6 months old, and has been in the states ever since. Her parents were us citizens when she was born in Canada! :) So, she's the only candian citizen in her family, she's 34 and never got her citizenship. Go figure! It's been a major hassle since 9/11 so I think she's finally going to do it. Yeah! :)

On The Victory in NY this year, they cleared non us citizens on the ship and returned there passports then. They were allowed to self disembark with everyone else. In NY if you self disembark you are called first, The buffet is open and the dinning room and you can leave when you want. no line at all

Archived