Captain Marvin's Review

texas greeneyes

We booked a private snorkel/stingray excursion with Captain Marvin’s for Thursday, October 5th, set to begin at 11:15; we were advised to arrive at the Captain Marvin’s office in the Waterfront Centre at 10:45, so we had a leisurely breakfast on the ship and still had time to spare before catching a tender ashore.

At about 9:45, we headed up to the room, grabbed our beach bag and snorkel stuff, and headed down to catch a tender ashore. Things moved quickly and soon we were off the tender and making the short walk (a couple of blocks) to the CM office.

I need to mention here that on our cruise last year, we had booked with Captain Marvin’s but something went wrong and my sisters and I were left stranded, along with other guests, and never got to do the excursion. I won’t go into further detail here, but those interested can read all about it in the review I wrote covering the Conquest Thanksgiving week 2005 cruise, previously published here in the Reviews section of CC.

I did notify Captain Marvin’s what happened after returning home last year, and they responded quickly and most apologetically with an offer for 50% off a future excursion, which they honored without hesitation when I called to book them this year.

When we arrived at the Captain Marvin’s office and gave our names to the young ladies at the front, their eyes lit up and one of them came forward and said, “You are Miss Patty? The owner would like to meet you.” They called the owner, Chris, from the back and he met us with warm handshakes and profuse apologies about last year’s excursion-gone-wrong.

I told Chris that I come from a background of running a small family business, that I understood that sometimes things can and do go wrong that are not under the control of those running the business, and that I was happy to try Captain Marvin’s again for that reason. He seemed sincerely grateful for the understanding, and thanked us several times.

I inquired who would be piloting the boat for our excursion, and was delighted to learn that it would be the original, 90 year old Captain Marvin himself! I actually did a little happy dance when they told me, and the girls who had greeted us when we arrived were quite amused.

By now it was time to board the bus for the short ride to the dock where we would find our excursion boat, the Miss Jackie, waiting. There were 22 aboard as we set out for the first stop, to snorkel. The crew was very helpful in explaining what to expect and adeptly assisted those who needed help donning the snorkel equipment as we headed to the targeted area. There was also a videographer aboard, who gave a short description of what he would be recording and how we could obtain a DVD later if we so desired.

The boat slowed to a stop, the crew anchored us down, and at long last it was time to snorkel! One by one, the excursion guests slipped from the side of the boat into the clear azure waters of the Caribbean. DH and I went in hand in hand, so excited to be sharing this experience with one another. I will say that I was a bit out of my comfort zone. It was my first time snorkeling (other than a practice run pre-cruise in a swimming pool), though he had snorkeled as a small child a few times in lakes in Washington state.

It was a new and amazing experience for both of us! The vivid hues of the fish were simply magnificent…we were swimming amongst some of the most vibrant and beautifully-colored creatures one could imagine! Saffron yellow fish with black stripes, indigo ones with what looked like neon purple edging on their bodies and fins, coral of varying shades, stingrays undulating near the ocean floor. All suspended in the crystal turquoise waters of the Caribbean. It was like nothing we had ever seen before; just amazing and truly unforgettable.

As we climbed back up onto the boat, we and the other guests were talking about the beauty we had experienced. From children to seniors, all were excitedly exclaiming about and describing what they had seen. And to think, this was only half of the excursion!

Soon enough, the motor started up again and the Miss Jackie was headed to the stingray sandbar. It was raining as we made our way there, but Mother Nature cooperated and the showers let up just as we arrived at the sandbar.

The crew again took the time to thoroughly explain what to expect and how to handle both ourselves and the stingrays. Okay, so now it was time to swim with those stingrays. If I was a bit out of my comfort zone snorkeling with the pretty fish, I was WAY outside my comfort zone now!

Once again, we donned our snorkel masks and tubes, then over the side of the boat we went. I was holding on to DH for dear life at this point and not feeling very confident at all. We swam the few feet to the sandbar, where it was plenty shallow enough to stand comfortably. We could see the stingrays all around, and they seemed to move in slow motion as they glided toward us. I couldn’t help myself…I became one of those screaming women that are so fun to ridicule. The DVD will certainly be interesting!

I was finally able to calm down a bit after a couple of minutes, though at first it took a conscious effort to not recoil as the creatures surrounded me and “caressed” my legs. The longer I was in the water with the stingrays, the less eerie they seemed. I eventually got brave enough to pet and kiss one that was being held by a crew member, and even encouraged a teen-aged girl in our tour group, who seemed very frightened, to do the same. They really are gentle creatures, and the ones in that area are very used to humans being in the water with and feeding them.

Snorkeling, swimming and interacting with the stingrays were thrilling and unique experiences for this city girl, and I am glad I dared to go outside that comfort zone of mine to do so. They are memories that I am sure will last a lifetime. I am so glad I gave Captain Marvin’s another chance!

Thanks for the detailed review. We are booked for this same tour also in December. There will be 7 of us including my three oldest grandsons. They said they would try to have the videographer on board also. Looking forward to a great time.

Thanks again.

Dawnrae

Thanks for the detailed review. We are booked for this same tour also in December. There will be 7 of us including my three oldest grandsons. They said they would try to have the videographer on board also. Looking forward to a great time.

Thanks again.

Dawnrae

Since you mentioned the videographer, I thought I would post to let y'all know that we have received our DVD. It is great!

The videographer wisely does not have the audio recorder turned on while taping. So even though many of us were screaming and squealing, especially when the sting rays first swam around us, all you hear is the reggae sound track chosen to accompany the footage.

Lots of good shots, both from the snorkel stop and the sting ray stop. And I have proof that I kissed and petted a sting ray!

Have fun with Captain Marvin's...and tell them you read Miss Patty's review on Cruise Critic! :)

Do you remember to price of the DVD and what forms of payment are accepted? Just want to plan ahead for an additional expense. I have kids and 3 grandsons with me on this excursion. Need I say more? I tend to be sucker for the photos and I am sure I will be purchasing this. I have a total of 7 grandkids on the cruise with me also. Really need to plan ahead as much as possible.

Thanks

Dawnrae

Just a tip from a cruiser who has been to SRC several times. A money saver is to purchase your own underwater one time use cameras (at home - it's a lot cheaper). They're easy to use and work just as well out of the water.

Check to see if Capt Marvin even has a tour without the snokeling stop. If he doesn't, you might find one thru the cruise line that just goes to SRC. Just keep in mind that the Caymans are world reknown for their snokeling and most people want those stops on their tours.

We'll be back down there on a holiday cruise on RCI Grandeur of the Seas on Dec.26. Already counting the days!

Do you remember to price of the DVD and what forms of payment are accepted? Just want to plan ahead for an additional expense. I have kids and 3 grandsons with me on this excursion. Need I say more? I tend to be sucker for the photos and I am sure I will be purchasing this. I have a total of 7 grandkids on the cruise with me also. Really need to plan ahead as much as possible.

Thanks

Dawnrae

The DVD is expensive at $40 - $50. Maybe you can buy one, and make copies for all in your group.

Thanks

Dawnrae

The DVD was $65 US. We paid with a Visa card; other credit cards and cash are also accepted.

I am sure you will have a great time with your troop of young ones...they will remember their Captain Marvin's excursion their whole life!

Archived