How to tip for special diet

ttlcx3

I will be on the Victory on Nov 19th and have made a special diet request as I am on a very strict gluten free diet. I know that I will have to doublt check when I get on board but following this diet means that I will be able to enjoy myself, if I eat gluten or even if my food is contaminated with gluten I will be very sick.

Knowing what goes into the preparation of a gluten free meal, I want to ensure that I take care of everyone in the kitchen, not just the servers. I prepaid my gratuities but want to be prepared to do more. What is the best way to ensure that everyone involved in the preparation of my meals is taken care of?

Thanks in advance.

We also have severe allergies (my fiance is extremely allergies to eggs and shellfish - to the point with shellfish we need to be in the best ventilated area of the dining room, etc.).

Tipping is extremely personal. I would suggest, as we have done, is discuss your needs upon boarding with your Maitre d' and others who assist you with your food.

Towards the end of the cruise, you can requst to meet with the Food and Beverage Manager who can assist you in providing a gratuity to those individuals who have gone above and beyond - yet remained behind the scenes.

Not only will you be providing a gratuity to those you feel deserve it, you will be bringing their exceptional service to the attention of their "boss" - and that goes a long way!

A short note to the person or department that provided the service to accompany any additional tip let's them know what about their service was most appreciated.

When asked to complete an evaluation card, include the names of those people that were most helpful. We had one assistant maitre d' who helped make the whole trip a success. Everyone was helpful, but he clearly took a significant role in keeping the whole gluten free diet issue under control.

It probably wouldn't hurt to let the ship's medical staff know about your allergies for no other reason than they can be prepared if something should get into your food.

I am sure that the galley will have one or two cooks thoroughly trained in preparing meals that meet non-allergenic requirements. For many people a food allergy is more than upset tummy...as we have seen from one post...so the Chefs will be on the ball.

I think it is great that you want to recognize the extra efort the galley crew will put into making sure you have a fun cruise...and good food!:D

Just my thoughts.

Tom:)

I booked through a TA so she made the call for me but if you booked directly through Carnival you will want to call you PVP so that it can be documented.

Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately for those with Celiac Disease there really isn't anything that the medical staff can do to help and while the immediate response to eating gluten can come in the form of an upset tummy (or many other symptoms), it is the long term serious medical problems that come from eating gluten or even eating something contaminated with gluten that I am concerned with.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Archived