Leave in a month! Newbie needs help.

mexico5

Hi, I have posted a couple of times and have been lurking for months, but now I have to get serious with some answers I still cannot figure out. I have been on many all-inclusives and travel alot, but I feel I am starting my first day at school and do not know what to expect!

My husband and I sail on Princess Star on Dec. 2 out of Ft. Lauderdale.

My first and main question(lots more to follow, sorry) is concerning dining and dress code. It seems like most on this board love to dress up, perhaps it is an age thing where you are retired and never get a chance to, or it's "just the way it's always been"? Not sure, but I feel we are in the minority, but will try to conform to the "ways of cruising"

Formal night- is it in the dining room and the specialty restaurant as well? Only the Horizon buffet you do not have to get dressed up? If my husband wears only dress pants, a white shirt and tie, will we get kicked out of the dining rooms on formal night? Will they run to him with a cheap jacket like in the movies and will we crawl out in embarassment?

We have a long flight and wanted to pack as light as possible and my husband has to wear a suit everyday at work and we have lots of functions where we have to dress up and it seems like 30 somethings don't love it as much as some of the more mature crowd does. But we want our first cruise to be wonderful and don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks so much for your help and sorry, there will be more questions for you. Hope you don't mind.

Hi - you will love cruising with Princess.

Gentlemen are expected to wear a dark suit or tux on formal nights in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants. Horizon Court does not require formal attire. Check out the link below regarding tux rental. That way your husband doesn't have to pack dress clothes at all.

http://www.princess.com/answer/formal.html

Have a great time on your cruise.

Thanks, that's what I gathered from reading the posts, that a jacket was required, but wasn't sure about Sabatinis on formal night. Guess I was praying it had changed while I was sleeping last night LOL.

I guess if we decide to leave the suit at home, we could always do that ultimate balcony dining thing on one formal night right? Do they do it everynight? It sounds very romantic and I love lobster.

Thanks!

I think we have decided that my husband will bring his suit for our first cruise. Not knowing what to expect, or what we are going to feel like doing, it is best to have it. We do not want to miss out on anything!

Thanks!

I think we have decided that my husband will bring his suit for our first cruise. Not knowing what to expect, or what we are going to feel like doing, it is best to have it. We do not want to miss out on anything!

Thanks!

Only because it means you will not have to run the risk of missing dinner in the dining room am I glad you all decided to bring his suit. This being your 1st cruise you ought to do the the entire kit and caboodle. Since once one cruises they are hooked this will probably not be your last cruise and on the next one you will be able to decide for yourself if getting dressed up was worth it or not. I'm also betting that if he had shown up in just dress pants, a white shirt and tie that anyone would have said a thing and NO, they don't have a supply of cheap jackets to loan out. But, he might have felt a bit underdressed and that feeling wouldn't have added to your enjoyable evening. Heck, getting dressed up is worth it just to see what everyone else is wearing. BYB you don't have to do the Balcony Dinner to get lobster as it should be on the menu one night of your trip.

Keep asking any questions that come to mind. There are lots of good experienced folks here to help. It sounds like you are excited - YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Barb

I agree completly with larsen. For your first cruise you should experience it all. Formal nights in the dining room are special, lobster is always served on a formal night, the Baked Alaska Parade is on formal night (traditional dining room only). You should experience all of this on your first cruise.

Maybe after you have done a cruise or two you will want to be more casual, as a lot of people do. But try it first, so you understand what it is all about.

Thanks Barb for the info, as well as to the other posters.

How do I find out which night is the lobster one? I am on the Star. With doing Sabatinis one night and at least one formal night, I might miss the lobster one.

I guess formal night kind of scared me a little. I have visions of ladies dressed in sparkly, glittery ballgowns with jewellery draping down to the floor and wearing an endless supply of perfume, along with a mink hanging off their shoulders. I will be wearing a simple black dress! Hopefully that will be okay.

Sorry if I am stereotyping. I have no first hand knowledge of this, only what I hear and read. I do not care at all what people where, you are right, it will be fun to watch everyone. Now the perfume, that is another story!! I have allergies and cannot stand the stuff, that is why we chose anytime dining, so hopefully we can pick a table not close to any of the scents.

And yes, I am very excited!!!

Thanks!

Well mexico5 you can ride the elevator with me anytime. Although I don't have allergies I oft time choke at how much perfume some wear. :eek:

And you will see your share of ladies dressed in sparkly, glittery ballgowns with jewellery draping down to the floor (although I've missed the minks) and that is part of the fun of going to formal dinner. BUT, trust me, you will look equally if not more elegant in your simple black dress. Over the course of the years I've discovered that "simple" tends to be comfortable and the more comfortable I am the more elegant I appear.

I'm not sure which night on the Star is lobster night. I'll try looking here on the boards for menus and then again maybe someone else will pop in and answer that question.

Thanks for the info on the lobster. Now when you say dining room, do you mean the traditional dining and the anytime dining room? So in your opinion, if we were to do one formal night, is the last one the best one, or are both of them the same?

This is probably a silly question, but does the captain eat with everyone in the traditional dining room, like on "Love Boat" Will anytime dining people ever see him/her?

If the last formal night we happen to be eating at Sabatinis, will there be lobster there too?

Thanks again for all your help, to everyone...

Thanks for the info on the lobster. Now when you say dining room, do you mean the traditional dining and the anytime dining room? So in your opinion, if we were to do one formal night, is the last one the best one, or are both of them the same?

This is probably a silly question, but does the captain eat with everyone in the traditional dining room, like on "Love Boat" Will anytime dining people ever see him/her?

If the last formal night we happen to be eating at Sabatinis, will there be lobster there too?

Thanks again for all your help, to everyone...

If you were only going to one, the last one is probably the better one, but if you are going to bring your nice clothes, why not do both?

The traditional and and anytime dining room are the same except for eating times.

Thanks Tom!

Good point about going to both. The other difference in traditional vs. anytime is also tablemates right?

Because of my allergies and general dislike of heavily scented men and women we chose this so we could perhaps pick a table that not close by the scents.

And sorry if I still don't get this one totally. If we go to Sabatinis on a formal night, is the dresscode in there also formal?

Thanks!

My husband doesn't like to dress up either but I do. We were on the Golden Princess last year and did personal choice dining. This was our first cruise ever and it was great.

We did go and dine in Sabatinis and also at the dining rooms and both formal nights I wore a nicer dress and my husband wore dress pants and a light sweater. No one ever said anything and we didn't feel out of place. There were plenty of people with tuxedos on but others with just jackets or nice shirts.

Just my observation. I would say that if you are in the main dining room and you don't dress up you may feel less dressed than others given the number of tuxedos etc.

Have a great time.

Thanks Tom!

Good point about going to both. The other difference in traditional vs. anytime is also tablemates right?

Because of my allergies and general dislike of heavily scented men and women we chose this so we could perhaps pick a table that not close by the scents.

And sorry if I still don't get this one totally. If we go to Sabatinis on a formal night, is the dresscode in there also formal?

Thanks!

On our last cruise we had to head to a week long meeting (business casual) dress, immediately after the cruise, so we had to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes and simply didn't have room for the suit and shoes. Sooo we went to Sabatini's on formal night, me in a white shirt and a tie and fit right in. There were a couple of men in suits and a couple not even in ties.

Personally I would have felt uncomfortable in the dining rooms on formal night without a suit though I have seen it done. Surprisingly I kinda missed the formal nights in the dining room. Didn't realize I enjoyed it that much. Hope this helps.

Thanks Tom!

Thanks!

Yes, all restaurants are formal on formal night except the buffet.

Also, you should know that the issue of formal clothes is a hot topic here, as a lot people rebel at the idea being told what to wear. And, there has been many hot debates here concerning what to wear in the bars, lounges, showrooms, etc. on formal night. Some say that the formal dress code applies to all public rooms except the buffet. Others insist that the dress code only applies to the dining room. It is an ongoing controversy that may never be resolved, unless Princess (and other cruise lines as well) publishes more specific rules.

In Anytime dining there are different size tables just as there are in traditional. If you sit at a table for six you will be seated with four other people. There are some tables for two in anytime, but they are so close to other tables that you may as well be seated at the same table.

If it is any help, I don't recall any ladies who were overscented. I am sure it happens, but it is not that common.

Good Lord, I didn't even consider the rest of the ship on the formal nights! So as not to overwhelm(sp?) myself, I will only concentrate on the dining areas. Even though we are fairly young, we are not party people or staying up late people, but never say never! Probably just retire after dinner, sit out on our balcony(hope it is warm enough) and have a drink.

Yes, I have heard that about the tables for two being very close to each other, but at least if beside someone heavily scented, we could move tables, if available.

There will probably always be two schools of thought on everything. We will know alot more after our first cruise. I guess one rule has always been, that it is better to overdress than underdress, at least I think that is the way it goes....

Mexico5 !! I am so glad I saw your post today as we are also from Calgary and will be on the Star Princess the week after you ! We booked the cruise last night. I am so excited and had a look this morning at some pics of the Star and tears came to my eyes! Its been years that I am reading cruise stuff and dreaming of one day go ! Now it has become a reality for us , such a wonderful trip to look forward to, seeing how cold and snowy the frozen north is at the moment.

Me too have a few newbie questions, which I hope someone will kindly answer for me:

1. Drinking the ship's tap water ? Is that a good /safe idea ? I drink a lot of water every day and after reading somewhere on the board about guests bringing their own bottled water onboard, it got me thinking.

2. We are booked in a inside cabin Plaza Deck 231 its deep down in the ship but sort of forward just under the theater. I am worried noe after today seeing where it actaully is, about getting seasick. I know I should be buried deep down in the ship but the fact that this cabin is somehow forward. Will that be a problem? Or should I rather try for an cabin a little higher up but more mid ship? What is more important for location ? Mid ship or deep down?

Thank you kindly for any advise.

Me too have a few newbie questions, which I hope someone will kindly answer for me:

1. Drinking the ship's tap water ? Is that a good /safe idea ? I drink a lot of water every day and after reading somewhere on the board about guests bringing their own bottled water onboard, it got me thinking.

2. We are booked in a inside cabin Plaza Deck 231 its deep down in the ship but sort of forward just under the theater. I am worried noe after today seeing where it actaully is, about getting seasick. I know I should be buried deep down in the ship but the fact that this cabin is somehow forward. Will that be a problem? Or should I rather try for an cabin a little higher up but more mid ship? What is more important for location ? Mid ship or deep down?

Thank you kindly for any advise.

Ships tap water is purified by the ships water makers, it is perfectly safe to drink and tastes like bottled water.

If ships motion is important, the best place to be is right in the middle and at sea level. But the ships anti-motion systems are very effective, unless you get into rough water you will not be able to detect any motion at all. If you are still concerned, being in the middle is probably more important than how high you are.

I wouldn't worry too much about a jacket for your husband. My husband and I are in our 30's and I honestly don't even remember what the men wore...i guess most were in suits, but to walk in the formal dining area with a nice shirt and tie isn't against dress code on formal night as far as I'm concerned. So long as you are wearing a dress you'll fit right in as a couple! My husband seems to remember a few men with just shirts on so no worries!

Yes, there does seem to be a split on the jacket issue so I think I will have my husband read this thread and come up with his own decision. It is not that he would not wear one, but just hates lugging it on these long flights. He really is not a tux person so renting one is probably not an option.

I do like to follow the rules, but sometimes they are kind of grey. In my opinion, someone wearing a pair of dress pants and white shirt and very nice and expensive tie can sometimes look just as good, if not better, than someone wearing a suit from a mall type store.(not that there is anything wrong with those stores, that is for sure)

We will probably end up bringing his suit to take the guess work out of things, but I will let hubby decide!

Thanks again for all your help! I really am a flip flopper aren't I? I am easily persuaded.....

My husband never wears a suit and he looked just as nice in nice dress pants and a jacket . The jacket came off as soon as he sat down at the table.

Enjoy the cruise and don't worry . As long as you don't turn up in blue jeans or shorts I'm sure you will fit right in

Mo from Canada

We are in our late 50's and don't enjoy dressing formally either. The last time my DH had a tux on was our youngest son't wedding and no matter how old I get, I still feel like I'm playing dress up in my mommy's clothes.:)

My husband wore a sports coat with slacks, dress shirt and tie and he didn't look or feel out of place at all. I wore my "little black dress" and felt fine. Many of the women looked like they were getting use out of their "mother of the bride/groom" formal dresses and I have 3 of these. I tried each of them on before the last cruise, trying to talk myself into it, and just didn't feel comfortable.

Archived