Tracy Arm Fjords..have you been there

Meltiphil

Hey Cruisers, has anyone been to the Tracy Arm Fjords, if so please tell me what it is like. Are they just glaciers or is this a place where we stop? I'm a new cruiser and not real sure what kind of place or glacier place this is. Also if it is glaciers, are they as pretty as the others. Thanks for any replies. Meltiphil:)

We visited Tracy Arm last year on the Sapphire Princess. This was cruise only. That was clear in the cruise itinerary - it said cruise Tracy Arm.

Tracy Arm is a beautiful large glarcier. I understand how close in you get depends on the weather and the amount of calved ice. Maybe you can get more info on the Alaska board.

Our cruise was in Sept. and we were able to get close to the glacier. It was spectacular. Nothing like getting up close and personal with a glacier from a top deck of a cruise ship without having to pay for an excursion. Too bad that was before my digital camera or I would post the pictures. They pictures look like we had a picture screen behind us. It is hard to believe the scenery is real.

Enjoy!

We visited Tracy Arm 15 years ago on the Sun Viking. It was amazingly huge -- bigger than you can probably imagine. It was beautiful. Our ship was small, so it got very close. Be aware that it is VERY cold when you're up close like that. Dress warmly. While visiting this glacier, there were also people in the ship's outdoor heated pool with just their heads peaking out viewing the site!

I don't know if they still do this, but when we did our Alaskan inside passage cruise, divers from the ship were out in the ocean chipping big pieces of ice from floating icebergs. The pieces were then loaded onto the ship, and that is the ice from which they carved our midnight buffet ice sculptures. It was really something to see!:)

Archived