3 year-old on 11-day Celebrity cruise?

Luxuriate

Hi,

I am a mother of a 13 month old and I am taking a cruise to Hawaii in 2 weeks on Celebrity. I have been watching the Celebrity boards lately and noticed the negative remarks that posters put on a thread about taking twin toddlers on Celebrity. It infuriated me so much that I posted a somewhat nasty response. You should check out the firestorm I created from the Celebrity crowd. However, I am encouraged that many were on my side also. You will laugh at the excuses people put for not taking children on a cruise. Check it out!

I checked out the message board you mentioned. Very insightful!

I have just about 100% decided to wait until our son is potty trained. Not just 3 years old but totally out of diapers and pull-ups. I know from experience it can be a bit irritating to be called away to change diapers. My gym's playroom staff don't change diapers.

Thanks again.

Cheryl

Waiting until he is out of the nappies!

I sailed with my DD (then 6 yo) on the Millie during Spring Break. So far, Celebrity is our hands down favorite (my DD had been on 2 prior cruises and I have been on untold amounts pre-child). I do agree, there are many posters on the Celebrity board here that can be rather negative about kids on Celebrity cruises. The problem is is that the posters are long time Celebrity-lovers and Celebrity used to gear its cruises towards older (read - post child-rearing) cruisers. Now, Celebrity has realized that they can make so much more money by encouraging family travel.

However, once we hit the decks on our cruise, everyone was so lovely. Everyone on the staff went out of their way to do some little kindness for my DD. The female staff love seeing the kids because so many of them are away from their own little ones (which is such a sadness to me). We sat at a large table and our tablemates were wary at first, but good manners are a priority in my household so DD became a welcome tablemate.

However, once DD realized that I could take her to the buffet and then she could hang out with the kids in the kids club she dropped me like a hot potato! Once again, I was reduced to begging my child to spend a little quality time with me. Sigh...

The kids program was great - the physical rooms were wonderful (lots of stuff to fulfill every kid's wish) and the counselors were lots of fun. So many activities, DD had a tough time deciding what she wanted/had to do. The one thing my DD didn't like - the kids program wasn't open when we were in port. We alway shop off during port and go to the beach or some other activity, but after that she wants to go hang out with her new-found friends. Perhaps Celebrity has changed this since (one can only hope!).

All this to say - I would sail on Celebrity again in a heart beat (with child or without).

In our 2 cruises on the Galaxy, there were always a full day of activities while in port. As a matter of fact, while in St. Martin this year, dh and I decided to relax in the peace and quiet pool side. With the exception of the lunch break (which she could have stayed if we wanted to pay for it), dd spent the entire day at the club.

Archived