Questions About Mariner And Excursions In Alaska

loulani

I have been reading this board for about a year now and have learned many, many things about RSSC and Alaska but I need some help.

I think going thru RSSC for excursions might be what my husband and I have decided. We would like to cruise the June 15, 2005 - Vancover - Vancover. Which escursions would you recommend thru RSSC? My husband loves to fish and we do love beautiful scenery and adventure.

Also, which side of the ship would be best for this particular cruise. I am thinking about a Penthouse C.

The post have been extremely valuable and the people are wonderful!

We have just booked this cruise for next year. It doesn't matter which side of the ship you are on as it is a round trip, although, looking at the itinerary I wonder if there is a bit more daytime sailing coming south (thus the port side would be preferable but it is of really little consequence ) We, too have booked a cat C and given a room straight away. We may see you! Sue

The best excursion we had on our recent Mariner cruise from Seward to Vancouver was the Tracy Arm excursion, where a little boat met the Mariner as it reached the furthest point it could go in Tracy Arm, took us up to within 1/4 mile of both arms of the Sawyer Glacier, then took us back to the boat as it docked in Juneau. We even saw whales and bears from the boat enroute to Juneau. The up close views of the glaciers were spectacular [we were fortunate to have great weather too], and the commentary great. We also took the excursion in Skagway with kayaking on Fraser Lake, BC and the narrow gauge train back to Skagway, which I'd recommend. The tour in Sitka, which my wife took, was not worth the cost - I did most of it on foot for minimal dollars. We were booked for the seaplane at Misty Fjord, but that got cancelled, so we have no review. Our friends went on the helicopter mushing excursion in Juneau and loved it. I went fishing in Juneau, and didn't catch anything!

Enjoy your trip

David

I have been reading this board for about a year now and have learned many, many things about RSSC and Alaska but I need some help.

I think going thru RSSC for excursions might be what my husband and I have decided. We would like to cruise the June 15, 2005 - Vancover - Vancover. Which escursions would you recommend thru RSSC? My husband loves to fish and we do love beautiful scenery and adventure.

Also, which side of the ship would be best for this particular cruise. I am thinking about a Penthouse C.

The post have been extremely valuable and the people are wonderful!

We are on this cruise too. We were on Mariner to Alaska last year and loved it. We booked port side becasue it does not matter. The inside passage is great from either side. Most other times you are too far from land to really see anything. We did Misty Fjords from Ketchikan which was beautiful. This time, I am looking forward to fishing, although do not know which port to do it in yet.

We cruised with celebrity about 3 years ago. The highlights:-

1. Juneau. The helicopter flight and walk on the glacier with clothing supplied .

2. The Skagway railway ride.

3. A seaplane ride to absolute silence at Katchikan.

Standing for hours at the Hubbard glacier ( with a couple of rum toddies)

Stanley Park trolley ride and Gaslight village in Vancouver is a must.

Archived