Formal or not Formal

Captain Funtime

The newer ships have "anytime dining" in at least one dining room. As they have multiple dining rooms...why don't they designate one dining room for those who don't desire to dress up for formal night ? Then everyone can be happy.

Carnival ships don't have "anytime dining" in any of the dining rooms, other than the buffet...

I don't think there are enough people that don't dress up to make this feasible...

Carnival ships don't have "anytime dining" in any of the dining rooms, other than the buffet...

I don't think there are enough people that don't dress up to make this feasible...

Agreed! You would have to have this fall out pretty close to 50/50 in order to staff and serve all guests - not going to happen.

You can have that option - on a different line...

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I wear a tux on formal nites and think it would be great if everybody did.

BUT.

Not everybody dresses formal, some are completely casual. I think that's rude but some think that it's OK. Some say the cruise line doesn't enforce the dress code so the cruise line is saying casual is OK.

A dress code is not made to be enforced. It is there so that no one will be embarrassed by overdressing or under dressing. So if you couldn't care less what others are wearing, dress to suit yourself.

There are some dress restrictions like no shorts or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are not dress codes, they are restrictions.

Dan

We like to go to the cabin early, 3ish and sit out on the balcony

and relax for a bit. Then once we start getting ready on formal

nights I pop open the champagne and enjoy that, while we're getting ready.

We make a big deal out of it. We hardly ever get dressed up

at home so we have some fun with it. And yes the people dressing up far out

weighs the people not. On my last cruise, 95% of the men

dressed up and 95% of them, were in tuxs. Ladies the same

except long gowns.

Just off the Miracle on Sunday and the only "anytime" dining I saw was in the buffet. I also noted in the Capers this statement for dining in the evening: Dress codes are mandatory!

How can something so vague be mandatory? I think the shorts, swimsuit, and tank top wearing diners are usually asked to use the Lido deck buffet, but otherwise I am totally with Dan's definitions...

A dress code is not made to be enforced. It is there so that no one will be embarrassed by overdressing or under dressing. So if you couldn't care less what others are wearing, dress to suit yourself.

There are some dress restrictions like no shorts or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are not dress codes, they are restrictions.

The newer ships have "anytime dining" in at least one dining room. As they have multiple dining rooms...why don't they designate one dining room for those who don't desire to dress up for formal night ? Then everyone can be happy.

Do you mean a Jean Only Dining room? :D

How can something so vague be mandatory? I think the shorts, swimsuit, and tank top wearing diners are usually asked to use the Lido deck buffet, but otherwise I am totally with Dan's definitions...

Beats me! I noticed though that most of the passengers seemed to at least try to dress according to what was listed as the "dress code". Nope, didn't see any shorts, swimsuits or tanks either. ;)

How can something so vague be mandatory?

Vague....:confused:

It's not the cruise lines place to TEACH anyone how to dress formal. Yet some people misinterpret the dress Q and A to be an inclusion/exclusion list. It's not.

It's there to give you the general idea.

A formal setting is just the opportunity for you to get out there and wear your latest and greatest. Then you look around and see what others have.

Sometimes you will be very surprised. :eek:

I have been on 8 Carnival cruises and on each there have been those dressed up and those dressed down. I have seen jeans EVERY night including formal nights. It seems to me that there are more dressed downs with each cruise I take. I really don't care one way or the other. It's all about what is right for YOU on YOUR cruise.

.....It's all about what is right for YOU on YOUR cruise.

:rolleyes: Well...not exactly. Dress codes should be followed, period. If YOU choose to dress down, that's up to you, and you would probably feel more at ease w/Lido buffet.

I agree with most of the others....We LOVE FORMAL NIGHTS!!

Most people dont get a chance to dress up often. I Love my husband wearing a tux and I in a formal gown. It IS one of our favorite parts of the cruise!

Recently on the Pride, our only table mates were not going to show up because they had no formal wear. WE encouraged them NOT to skip it but just wear something nice. They did and we were happy to have them. They were wearing a nice dress and he in a dressy polo with slacks. That is acceptable.

But to each his own. I love shopping for new formal dresses and love the special feeling that I get from wearing them with my handsome husband on my arm!

I agree...hit the lido deck if your not into it..more people ARE into it!

YOU CHOOSE!

YOUR cruise IS what YOU make it!!!

Archived