Belize and Snorkeling

Washingtonian

We are taking a December 2006 cruise and will be stopping in Belize. We're looking at snorkeling at Sting Ray Village and then on to Horse Shoe Reef. My spouse is more of a sinker than a swimmer, but can float and paddle around some. Is there shallower water in both areas where someone over 5'8" can stand most of the time?

If so, would you recommend the tour from Princess Lines, or where would you recommend booking?

If Princess uses the same group (Cruise Solutions Belize Pride) as NCL I can heartily recommend them. It was one of the safest, best run operations I've ever experienced. My DH, also a sinker, had a great time between the vest, float and guide. I actually got to just swim and play, knowing he was in good hands. It wasn't cheap, but it was a tremendous value and worth every penny and more.

We are taking a December 2006 cruise and will be stopping in Belize. We're looking at snorkeling at StingRayVillage and then on to Horse Shoe Reef. My spouse is more of a sinker than a swimmer, but can float and paddle around some. Is there shallower water in both areas where someone over 5'8" can stand most of the time?

If so, would you recommend the tour from Princess Lines, or where would you recommend booking?

Your husband should be given a vest to wear which will help him stay afloat. He does not want to touch the coral as some is fire coral and leaves a nasty sting.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures from a Dec 05 Princess Reef and Rays tour:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/belize_dec_27_05.htm

No real place to stand up, but no real need. A couple of puffs of air into the snorkel vest and he can bob like a cork.

It is very easy to float in salt water and you can snorkel without really knowing how to swim. Also the guides will quickly get you back to the boat if you want out.

Archived