Marva Shaw

newtocruisin4fun

We are thinking of using Marva Shaw and it will just be my husband and I. She has offered to be our personal tour guide and she quoted us $100 for the 2 of us plus we would have to pay the $15 per person for Dunn Falls and $20 per person for Tubing. If we decide to do this, it would cost us $170 not including tips. Does this seem like a lot? I don't think we would have anyone else with us. Thank you!

Karen

Make sure you ask prior to booking what your guide considers a fair tip at the end of the day. Some have indicated that the guide was less than thrilled with the tip given. So if you ask up front there should be "no problem mon" at the end of the day.

Thanks for the info:) ! I am not really concerned about tipping:o , I have no problem tipping my guides generously. I guess I should have explained myself better. I was just wondering if $170 is a lot to spend in Jamaica for a personal tour. I have noticed on this board that some have been quoted less but maybe they had more people going? We are leaving soon and I guess I am starting to 2nd guess myself! Is a personal tour guide worth $85 a person? Is it that much better than just going with the cruise ships excursions? Thanks!

Hi Karen,

Sorry I can't assist you regarding Marva's 'personal guide rates' for your planned excursion, but do bear in mind that her van takes up to 24 passengers. If there is only 2 of you for the day, there should be a minimun charge even if she takes a smaller car. But check again with Marva if there will be other paxs.booking with her and what will be the revised rates if you decide to go with her. I presume that your ship will dock in Ochio Rios. Don't forget to tip the driver too!

Please read my other posting re Marva in another Jamaica thread - 'Marva & Phil'. The final decision is yours. Have a great cruise and fine dinners.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info:) ! I am not really concerned about tipping:o , I have no problem tipping my guides generously.

Your idea of a generous tip and your guides idea of a generous tip may be miles apart. Thats why I recommend you settle that figure before you book. It has been mentioned here on CC that some guides seemed unappreciative of 20%(+) tips.

Remember this as you budget for Jamaica...........EVERYONE in Jamaica wants a tip !

Thank you all for your help:) ! We have decided to go with Marva and if it's a little more than we wanted to spend, oh well that's what vacation is for. Marva has emailed me and said it will just be my husband and I so I guess I should be grateful she is only charging us what she is. I didn't realize she usually took so many people at once so I feel much better now. Thanks to those who took the time to reply, it is much appreciated!

We used Marva and she just used a mini van which only held 6 or 7 people comfortably. WE loved her. She was worth every penny we spent. We didn't pay quite that much but then we had 6 people in our group and so that made it a little less expensive. She made Jamaica our favourite port. We had so much fun.

Stefani

My husband and I just return from a 7 day cruise to the western caribbean. We used Marva Shaw. She charged us $100 and yes, we also had to pay the extra fees to get into the Dunns Falls park and rafting.

My husband and I felt it was well worth it. Ask her to take you to Lober Dave's also. It's a fish market and you will get real Jamican food. We had baked lobster. It was excellent. It's not fancy so don't think you are eating in a restaurant or something like that - but if you want real Jamican food this is the place. Negotiate the price prior to ordering.

Have fun.

Pepperabby

We used Marva when we were in Ocho Rios on Monday 11/20, myself, wife, son and daughter. She replied to my e-mails very promptly before we left and was very helpful. Marva was giving a private tour that day and our tour was given by her helper (his name escapes me). When we arrived in port that day I asked a security guard when she was, she was called on a walkie-talkie and appeared instantly. We were introduced to our driver and were on our way. She also checked on us at Dunn's River Falls. After the falls we went tubing and then fern gully. Our driver took us to were my daughter got her hair braided at a place arranged by Marva at the price I wanted to pay, took my wife and son back to the ship and then came back to get us. Our driver was not real talkative but very dependable, I couldn't have asked for better service. I tipped $20, which would be 25% if you subtracted the falls and tubing admissions, $220-$140=$80. Looking back I really should have tipped more, but by now was low on cash. We were lucky enough to be his only passengers, but there was room for at least 20 more people, so guess it was a unprofitable day for him.

What you will be paying is about $60 more than if you went with a group, and probably not much more than if you bought your tour on the ship.

If I ever go back to Ocho Rios, I will definitely be using Marva again.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Thanks for all of the replies! We did decide to use Marva and the tour Richard883 talked about Marva being on Monday 11/20 was with us!:) I posted a report when we got back. We loved Marva and in spite of the weather, had a terrific time. My husband and I loved her so much we actually tipped her $45. Our fee to her was only $100 and $45 was probably a lot but because we were her only 2 clients, we felt she deserved it. I am glad to hear others here enjoyed her as much as we did. Thanks for everyone's help!

Glad you enjoyed your tour with Marva, she is a wonderful guide!

And for others considering using Marva, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the posts talking about the size of the tip. That appears to be a very isolated opinion and I think if you look through the threads you'll see the VAST majority of everyone that has posted about her thoroughly enjoyed her services. In fact, I talked to Marva about this very subject and she says she can't understand how the person came to the conclusion she was upset about the tip since she never even looks at her tip until after the customer has left, and that she is ALWAYS grateful for whatever tip her customers might provide. Perhaps the person that experienced this problem simply gauged Marva's response incorrectly. It's been my experience that she's very professional and friendly, and very attentive.

Archived