Legend - Dinner Club question

dansu

I think some have a problem with my prior postings.

Please let me clarify: If you go back and read alll the posts in this thread, I was on the side of the original poster. If the hubby wants fries, he should be able to get them, when paying extra for dinner. We're not talking about wanting a burger, but FRIES as a SIDE with steak........geesh!

Another poster insinuated it was low class by saying.. what next....maybe wanting pizza/whatever at the specialty restaurant. That response was absurd and totally off my point.

My reference to Carnival demographics was because Carnival is a great, affordable cruise line for regular, everyday, working stiffs, just like me!!! A request for fries instead of a baked potato at a specialty restaurant costing extra should not be that big of a deal. I'm sure we will all agree that this is not Crystal cruise lines.

Whew......did I redeem myself? No put downs intended, ever! I have always been on the side of the original poster and now am really questioning if we will even try the specialty dining...I don't want to give them my money if they are so unreasonable about choices/substitutions.

Judy

So basically what you are saying is that if you go to Smith and Wollensky, Ruth Chris, etc. and you want chicken nuggets, because YOU are paying them for the meal, they should accomodate you, otherwise, they are being unreasonable??? Do you realize how insane that sounds?? What, just because you are on a ship where the rest of the food is free, that is supposed to mean you can demand what you want in the supper club?? That makes NO sense. They don't have fries on the menu... by the time they go to the other end of the ship and get fries, how good do you think they would be?? And I would assume that you would pay the server a great tip for doing something like this, or maybe not since you seem to think it's a reasonable request. They are NOT unreasonable about choices or substitutions... not sure where you got that from. They have PLENTY of choices... and you can substitute for anything on THE MENU... amazingly like any other restaurant.

I agree, you definitely shouldn't try the supper club, if you are going to be so upset about not being able to demand to be served anything you want. Their menu has a lot of choices, if you don't like what is being served, there are other choices on the ship...

then maybe you shouldn't go to the specialty restaurant.

I agree that a supper club should not be expected to substitute from their menu. What if we all went and demanded our favorite appetizer, or salad, or soup or dessert? Really - if you don't like the potato offered, don't eat. Or, spend your money on something else that you will enjoy.

So basically what you are saying is that if you go to Smith and Wollensky, Ruth Chris, etc. and you want chicken nuggets, because YOU are paying them for the meal, they should accomodate you, otherwise, they are being unreasonable??? Do you realize how insane that sounds?? What, just because you are on a ship where the rest of the food is free, that is supposed to mean you can demand what you want in the supper club?? That makes NO sense. They don't have fries on the menu... by the time they go to the other end of the ship and get fries, how good do you think they would be?? And I would assume that you would pay the server a great tip for doing something like this, or maybe not since you seem to think it's a reasonable request. They are NOT unreasonable about choices or substitutions... not sure where you got that from. They have PLENTY of choices... and you can substitute for anything on THE MENU... amazingly like any other restaurant.

I agree, you definitely shouldn't try the supper club, if you are going to be so upset about not being able to demand to be served anything you want. Their menu has a lot of choices, if you don't like what is being served, there are other choices on the ship...

OMG.....this has really gotten out of hand. Everyone has totally missed my point. And, just a side note, the restaurants named in the post quoted are by no means gourmet, just chain restaurants that charge a lot so people that don't know any better think they are eating gourmet and these same people fall for it because it's expensive-----Ruth Chris is a perfect example--ugh!!!-- overpriced, chain, wanna be, gourmet but they do a very good business because of those that think cost equals quality. NOT!

We are talking about a Carnival cruise here, and, my opinion, the cruise line should cater to the passengers onboard, everywhere, including the "gourmet" restaurant.

Will we try the supper club...probably. Will we want fries...never. Please go back and read ALL the posts before you comment.

Judy

Judy: I did read your posts- you stated since the passenger paid 30 bucks for the meal they should be entitled to make substitutions and waiters should go find the man french fries since it is served elsewhere on the ship.

--

why? Just because its a cruise ship and not land based resturant?

OMG.....this has really gotten out of hand. Everyone has totally missed my point. And, just a side note, the restaurants named in the post quoted are by no means gourmet, just chain restaurants that charge a lot so people that don't know any better think they are eating gourmet and these same people fall for it because it's expensive-----Ruth Chris is a perfect example--ugh!!!-- overpriced, chain, wanna be, gourmet but they do a very good business because of those that think cost equals quality. NOT!

We are talking about a Carnival cruise here, and, my opinion, the cruise line should cater to the passengers onboard, everywhere, including the "gourmet" restaurant.

Will we try the supper club...probably. Will we want fries...never. Please go back and read ALL the posts before you comment.

Judy

Obviously you missed my point too. I was not naming a "gourmet" restaurant... I was naming a steakhouse, that would be comparable to the supper club... you do realize the meal at the supper club is only $30?? Yet you are nit picking naming restaurants where your meal will be $100pp+?????? If you don't like Ruth Chris, you probably aren't going to like the supper club... You might want to skip it, it that is how you feel. We are talking THIRTY DOLLARS!!! Not $200... nobody ever called it a "gourmet restaurant"... it's a supper club, with a nominal surcharge. In no way can it be compared to some of the more upscale steakhouses around the country and world, but it IS comparable to some of the nicer steakhouses that most are used to.

Funny thing. You are talking about being upset, paying only $30 and not being able to get whatever you want... but you are now turning this into something else :p YOu call other restaurants "wanna be" that are FAR HIGHER priced than the supper club... again, try to go into the "wanna be" restaurants and try to order whatever you want... yet you expect it at a FAR cheaper restaurant... because you are on a cruise??? :confused: :rolleyes:

They need a sampler plate added to their menu.

Maybe somebody already answered this but, on the Glory supper club this past September there was a dinner choice that had a sample of a few of the items on the menu.

Obviously you missed my point too. I was not naming a "gourmet" restaurant... I was naming a steakhouse, that would be comparable to the supper club... you do realize the meal at the supper club is only $30?? Yet you are nit picking naming restaurants where your meal will be $100pp+?????? If you don't like Ruth Chris, you probably aren't going to like the supper club... You might want to skip it, it that is how you feel. We are talking THIRTY DOLLARS!!! Not $200... nobody ever called it a "gourmet restaurant"... it's a supper club, with a nominal surcharge. In no way can it be compared to some of the more upscale steakhouses around the country and world, but it IS comparable to some of the nicer steakhouses that most are used to.

Funny thing. You are talking about being upset, paying only $30 and not being able to get whatever you want... but you are now turning this into something else :p YOu call other restaurants "wanna be" that are FAR HIGHER priced than the supper club... again, try to go into the "wanna be" restaurants and try to order whatever you want... yet you expect it at a FAR cheaper restaurant... because you are on a cruise??? :confused: :rolleyes:

One again, surprise, surprise, my point is missed....and I can roll my eyes too.

Geesh.....the cost of a dinner at a land based, standalone, restaurant can not be compared to the surcharge, upcharge, service charge, whatever, for dining at the "supper club" on a cruise ship. In case you've forgotten, the price of the cruise includes all food, and usually pretty good food, at that. The supper club additional charge, (though nominal for us, but not for others, I'm sure) is paying for food and service above and beyond that available in the dining room.

If you want to continue the comparison to Ruth Chris or Smith and Wollensky, or other chain upscale steak places (is that an oxymoron?) they offer fries as a potato option and have no problem with substitutions.

Side note (if you care) If we weren't assured a table for two (it's now guaranteed by the regional Carnival rep, whew!) we were prepared to do the supper club each night.....and we don't even like or would ever order fries....this all started with the original post and the principal of the thing.

Truce, okay? I'm tired of typing about this.

Judy

One again, surprise, surprise, my point is missed....and I can roll my eyes too.

Geesh.....the cost of a dinner at a land based, standalone, restaurant can not be compared to the surcharge, upcharge, service charge, whatever, for dining at the "supper club" on a cruise ship. In case you've forgotten, the price of the cruise includes all food, and usually pretty good food, at that. The supper club additional charge, (though nominal for us, but not for others, I'm sure) is paying for food and service above and beyond that available in the dining room.

If you want to continue the comparison to Ruth Chris or Smith and Wollensky, or other chain upscale steak places (is that an oxymoron?) they offer fries as a potato option and have no problem with substitutions.

Side note (if you care) If we weren't assured a table for two (it's now guaranteed by the regional Carnival rep, whew!) we were prepared to do the supper club each night.....and we don't even like or would ever order fries....this all started with the original post and the principal of the thing.

Truce, okay? I'm tired of typing about this.

Judy

S&W has fries that are served with their burgers... and while it is not listed as a side item, because they actually serve them in their restaurant, surely it wouldn't be a problem to order them with your steak (it makes sense, they actually SERVE THEM IN THE RESTAURANT!!!) Why is that so hard to understand??? You were the one that claimed you should be able to get anything you want in the supper club... and I think most people would agree, that's asking a bit much... if you do this wherever you go, I'm sure you are very special... but it's not an option in the supper club.

Yes, if you make your reservations early enough, you will get a table for 2 in the supper club. They do not seat you with others in the restaurant.

I'm tired of posting about this to... if you want to order something not on the menu, go ahead... I mean, you paid all of $30... you certainly should be able to make them run all over the ship to serve your request.

S&W has fries that are served with their burgers... and while it is not listed as a side item, because they actually serve them in their restaurant, surely it wouldn't be a problem to order them with your steak (it makes sense, they actually SERVE THEM IN THE RESTAURANT!!!) Why is that so hard to understand??? You were the one that claimed you should be able to get anything you want in the supper club... and I think most people would agree, that's asking a bit much... if you do this wherever you go, I'm sure you are very special... but it's not an option in the supper club.

Yes, if you make your reservations early enough, you will get a table for 2 in the supper club. They do not seat you with others in the restaurant.

I'm tired of posting about this to... if you want to order something not on the menu, go ahead... I mean, you paid all of $30... you certainly should be able to make them run all over the ship to serve your request.

FYI...I was talking about a table for two in the regular dining room, not the supper club. I surely would hope that we would get a table for two in the supper club. I don't even know that we will try the supper club now since we will have the table for two in the regular dining room.

And, BTW, S&W has fries as a side option on their regular menu, not just with burgers...have you been there lately? We go often.

Judy

FYI...I was talking about a table for two in the regular dining room, not the supper club. I surely would hope that we would get a table for two in the supper club. I don't even know that we will try the supper club now since we will have the table for two in the regular dining room.

And, BTW, S&W has fries as a side option on their regular menu, not just with burgers...have you been there lately? We go often.

Judy

The only one i have been to recently is the one in Manhattan, they have a hash brown dish as a side, but no fries. So you are correct, I can't speak for the other locations...

Archived