Should we go Goff's or Caulker?

toastyreward

Hi,

We're an adventurous couple that has added a two-year-old to our wanderings. We've been to Belize before, but this time we'd like a nice, quiet beach where my husband can snorkel while we build sandcastles. Does this sound more like Caulker's Cay (heard there aren't great beaches) or Goff's?

Two things- (1) Is it obvious where to catch the boat to Caulker's Cay or will we need a map to find the Swing Bridge?

(2) If we go with Goff's, how do we get there?

Thanks, boat leaves Saturday!

I've been to Goffs Cay. There are very little ammenities there. A little hut that sells limited beverages and a few postcards etc. The portapotti was interesting according to my dh. I never ventured near it. The sand is more rough and rocky than fine...not great for castles. The water was calm and clear when we were there and we snorkled right from the beach.

We took an excursion on Carnival as I did not want to trust any independents in Belize....not a place I want to get stuck on.

I will say that the cigarette boat ride from the ship to the island was very, very rough. In all honesty, I would not bring a 2 y.o. on that trip but that is just me. I had bruises all over my back from hitting the boat every time we hit a wave.

When we went 2 years ago with the kids(then 7,13) we got an excursion at the dock to Goff's Caye.(And they took us right back to the Valor!) I did not have to use the portapotti(thank goodness). We really enjoyed it there. My youngest loved playing in the sand(although it is not castle building sand like the other person posted). We could also snorkel from shore(we also did the 'from boat snorkel to shore').

With a 2 year old I would probably choose Goff's over the Caulker one-not so long of a boatride, but amenities are limited. Take some snacks,your own water,sunscreen, hat, few sand/watertoys for the child- I think you would like Goff's. Do you have a life vest for the child? Also if you choose an excursion when you get to the dock, you can assess the weather conditions=wavy,etc. and then decide.

Have a great cruise.

Archived