Empty spaces on deck planes - what's in them

librarygal

We are interested in a cabin on The Grand Princess that is next to a blank space on the deck plan. Does anyone know what is in these spaces? Is it machinery, steward's supplies, or just empty. We don't want to get a cabin next to noisy machinery!

Thanks

Mary

I was wondering the same thing - was interested in an inside cabin on Jewel of the Seas on Deck 8 next to a void and don't want to be disturbed by machinery or stewards getting supplies! Although would this be anymore disturbing than noises from guests in adjoining rooms?

I think I found the answer to my own question on the web:

The funnel uptake runs from the engine room to the funnel. Look at a deck plan of the ship. Orient the various decks in relation to the elevator shafts. The elevator shafts run straight up through the ship, even though the plans of the various decks are not lined up on the page(s) of your brochure. Notice that there is a blank area on the plan of every deck below the funnel. It is forward of the aft elevator shaft on most modern ships. That is where the funnel uptake goes through. It is a very noisy area of the ship. Hot exhaust gasses and clinkers cause rattles and vibration inside the funnel uptake. Make sure your stateroom is not opposite this area.

I think I will avoid that area!

Archived