Duty on Liquor?

redhead1

I haven't seen this question posted anywhere else, so here goes.

I'll be on the Victory Eastern Caribbean 12/10-17. I know that two of the three ports are in American territories.

Does that mean that the 2 liter duty free limit on hard alcohol purchases doesn't apply? Do I need receipts to show where they came from (ie, only pay duty on the purchases in St. Martin)?

I'm thinking that some bottles of rum and/or Baileys could make really FINE Christmas presents, given that the tax on alcohol in Washington State is ridiculously high.

Thank you for any responses!

On my Custom's form, I list out my alcohol by US Product (Cruzon rums) and Foreign product. Dont add up the number of bottles but the totals in liters. For the Port of Mobile, 4 seems to be the magic number. Exceeding it will cause you to be charged $3 per liter over the limit. The Port of New Orleans I had no trouble bringing back 8 liters.

Dave

You may bring back six bottles of liquor, as long as one is a product of the US Virgin Islands. You'll be assessed a duty of around $1.50 to $2 per bottle beyond those. If you are only one or two bottles over, they probably will not assess duty, since it may not be worth their time for such a small amount.... that depends on the customs agent, really.

Archived