Costa Maya Snorkeling

breakinwind

Just a thought.... are you interested in the Mayan Ruins?? Rather then snorkling?? They just anounced that the Mayan Ruins are the number 1 wonder of the world. There is a GREAT site there in Costa Maya.

We were there last week and from my own opinion that it looked like the snorkling wasn't that good there. I would try it at a different port and hit the ruins.

Like I was saying... just a thought.

If you go to ,Majahual, the small fishing village, a mile or so or a 20-30 minute walk or less than 5 by taxi, south of the port, you can see a portion of the world's second longest barrier reef. It is an easy but long swim for a good swimmer. Maybe 1500 yards. I was there in Feb02 when they first opened up this port. I seem to remember even seeing a dive operation there but I didn't dive or snorkel there myself. I have dove and snorkelled on the same reef further north at many sites between Cancun and Tulum and it is a great snorkel location. They took the reef out at the pier site when putting in this port facility.

Another benefit is the local eateries sell bottles of cerveza ( were $1US each in 2002 ) on their patios overlooking the sea. The village itself wasn't much with a dirt main road and a few shops. There was a small grocery store where we bought Mex. beer to take back to the ship.

My boyfriend and I are also going to be in costa Maya in Jan 07.. I checked out the message boards for each port and found it very helpful..Sounds like the place to go is the Maya Palms.. they have a snorkeling trip that also includes use of their resort for the day..45$ 10$ extra for lunch.. they have their own website and cater especially to cruisers.. www.mayapalms.com the reviews of their snorkel trip are excellent as well as the food and resort atmosphere.. you must have a reservation check it out J

Gotta echo Crazyfor cruisin and Snowbird on this one. If you just have to snorkel, then do it without paying for an excursion. Save your $$ for Coz and Cayman.

Check out the review of Maya Palms I just posted under Costa Maya port of call. If you click on the link below you can see some underwater pics at Cayman and Cozumel - however, the ones in Costa Maya were so poor i did not even upload them.

Gotta echo Crazyfor cruisin and Snowbird on this one. If you just have to snorkel, then do it without paying for an excursion. Save your $$ for Coz and Cayman.

Check out the review of Maya Palms I just posted under Costa Maya port of call. If you click on the link below you can see some underwater pics at Cayman and Cozumel - however, the ones in Costa Maya were so poor i did not even upload them.

thanks wa mama, for your support of my post...i am not one of those to go on boards just to offer negative thoughts...I just found that compared with so many other fantastic snorkeling opportunities, that Costa Maya/Majahaul was a disappointment. I agree with wa mama that Coz/Grand Caymen, and I must add in Belize and Curacao as my personal favorites...Wish you a great trip!!!

Archived