Soda and Soda Card Question

A Little Pixie Dust

We will be on Summit in a few short weeks and have a question:

Is purchasing the soda card worth it? We do enjoy our soda.

Can you bring soda on board with you?

What is the cost of a soda at a bar without the card?

Do you have to have the souvineer mug with you to get a refill if you buy the card?

Can you get soda at dinner free of charge with your meal or do youhave to pay for sodas consumed with dinner?

Thanks!

Desiree

We will be on Summit in a few short weeks and have a question:

Can you bring soda on board with you?

What is the cost of a soda at a bar without the card?

Do you have to have the souvineer mug with you to get a refill if you buy the card?

Can you get soda at dinner free of charge with your meal or do youhave to pay for sodas consumed with dinner?

Thanks!

Desiree

Hi Desiree !

I will try to tackle your questions :

There are plusses and minuses. If you love your soda, it is probably worth it. The big issue is, you can only get soda at places that have fountain service (such as bars) as they will not give you a can of soda with the card. Another annoyance, is the cups they use for soda are very small, and you have to make repeat trips to the bar to get soda. The price is not bad, but they do make you work to get the soda !

Can you bring soda on board with you? Yes

What is the cost of a soda at a bar without the card? I am not sure of the exact price at the moment, but I think it roughly 2.00 give or take a few cents.

Do you have to have the souvineer mug with you to get a refill if you buy the card? No, you do not..... but you will need to have Your room card, which will have a Soda sticker on it.

Unfortunately, Celebrity does NOT have free soda in the Dining room. However, they WILL allow the soda card in the Dining room. Usually, after the first night, once they see you have the sticker, they wont ask to see it again, and they will serve you soda and not charge you for it. The system in the Dining room works very well.

I hope that answers all your questions. Enjoy your Cruise !

Some differances of opinion and additional comments:

While the std. bar glass is somewhat small you can either bring your own larger cup/mug on board and use that or simply ask the bartender for a larger glass. Some bartenders may give you a little push back but a polite insistance will usually do the trick. Once I got the story that they could not provide a larger glass. I suggested that I will speak to the food and beverage manager to understand the policy, all of a sudden I got the bigger glass.

You will likely hear some comments here that you will be shunned by bartenders/servers because getting a soda with the sticker does not add to the tip bucket(you do pay the total tip up front when you buy the sticker). IF this does ever happens, it is way overblown. I've never seen it.

In the dining room, since I am such a big soda drinker, I suggest the first night that they bring them two at a time to save them trips and they usually do that and I never have to ask again. Since on Celebrity your soda is brought by the wine person at dinner, not your wiater, I usually tip him a few dollars in cash at the end of the cruise if he keeps me well supplied.

Just remember that the sticker does not include cans of soda so the mimi bar is NOT included.

You will likely hear some comments here that you will be shunned by bartenders/servers because getting a soda with the sticker does not add to the tip bucket(you do pay the total tip up front when you buy the sticker). IF this does ever happens, it is way overblown. I've never seen it.

Hi Rjg !

If you have never seen it, you are lucky. I did not plan to bring it up, but being that you commented on it, I have had some poor experiences with the soda cards at the bars. When the bars are busy, (and once they know you have a soda card) depending on the bar staff, you can expect to be the LAST to be served. Every other customer brings a tip to them, and the soda card does not get them tips on refills. On more than 1 occasion, I had to ask for assistance, as they were going to others who just walked up to the bar. Once they know you have a soda card, the POSSIBILITY of being treated like they could care less does exist. Again, this all depends on the particular individuals. I have had other bar staff, who were always friendly and helpful.

FWIW, when the bar staff is friendly, I have often tipped after getting a refill on my soda, but that should not matter. The service should always be prompt and courteous. While the bar staff should treat everyone the same, with the soda card, it doesnt always happen.

did someone mention the price of the card? how much is it for a kids soda card?

As far as we knew last December there was no difference between Adults and Children same price for everyone.

From the Bon Voyage Packages (scroll down)

Soda Fountain Package

One set price for a limitless number of fountain sodas ordered during your Celebrity cruise (does not apply to room service or in-stateroom private bar sodas). Includes Coca-Cola® souvenir mug. Not available in Michael's Club.

Order No.Price

7-night #C700 40.00

10-night #C701 58.00

12-night #C702 69.00

14-night #C703 80.00

Archived