Bacab Eco-Adventure Park

EMTRa

Has anyone done excursions including this park? Looking at doing the Bacab Park & Wild Wings Butterfly House.

I have done a search and unfortunately, there is not much information. Any pictures? How long does it take to get there? From what I understand there is horseback riding, kayaking, a nice pool, nature trails through the rainforest. etc. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone done excursions including this park? Looking at doing the Bacab Park & Wild Wings Butterfly House.

I have done a search and unfortunately, there is not much information. Any pictures? How long does it take to get there? From what I understand there is horseback riding, kayaking, a nice pool, nature trails through the rainforest. etc. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

I found the website, It looks great and the pool area looks VERY inviting. I called carnival and was told our toddler son should be free they just didn't add the symbol to that excursion yet since it is newer.

http://www.bacabecopark.com/photogallery.shtml

I signed up Chazz and myself so if you feel like going, I know we will be there. The ship's excursion includes the butterfly wild wings, the swim area and lunch is included. It says 4 1/2 hours, but "lunch at your leisure before you transfer back to the pier" might mean we can stay until the last transfer bus time perhaps. I know hubby and I spend hours photographing butterflies. I am betting the excursion includes roaming the park, but not the kayak or bike trails perhaps. just guessing on that.

Colleen

Thanks Colleen!

I should have thought to call Carnival ..didn't even think about it!

I want to see the butterflies (nature lovers & shutterbug too) and hike through the rainforest but be able to relax a bit at our leisure..it sounds like the perfect place. I know they have all the different excursions from the ship (kayaking, nature walk, horseback riding) but wondered if I decided to paddle around in a kayak if I could just pay when I get there. Think I am going to go ahead and book it.. :) Wondered about transportation back to the ship if they have shuttles at different times or if you are locked into one certain return time? I know we will want to stay all day! Good to hear you are doing this!! Are you still doing the butterfly farm in GC too? There is just so much to decide on..and fast!

Still, would love to hear from people who have been here to get a review "fix" LOL...anyone???

Thanks Colleen!

I know we will want to stay all day! Good to hear you are doing this!! Are you still doing the butterfly farm in GC too? There is just so much to decide on..and fast!

Still, would love to hear from people who have been here to get a review "fix" LOL...anyone???

You know we may have be the first to review this when we return I understand this is a fairly new excursion.

I am hoping the photo shop onboard will have a way to burn our camera sticks onto roms or we will run out of "film" too early. haha! Yes we are doing the butterfly farm on GC too. in 2003 I had major surgery and had to recover. I spent my summers walking and chasing butterflies around fields, and doing nature photography. Here are some of my pix,

http://home.xnet.com/~countzi/ccwings/

I look forward to meeting you. (By 2 weeks from today we will be on the plane!)

Colleen

Yes, you are right! I found that they opened this past spring. We will have to do a few reviews when we get back. I did find one review doing a search that said they loved it and were discussing how they wanted to live there! That's a good sign.

Your pics are absolutely beautiful!!! Mom and I are both HUGE butterfly fans. It sounds like this is smaller than the one in GC but we are anxious to see it just the same.

I am also a huge monkey fan..hope the howlers are out. I was thinking about the baboon sanctuary but just knowing there is a chance we could see some/hear them at Bacab ..I'm happy! (smile)

I know that when we were on the Destiny they would transfer pics from memory sticks to CD's (I think) or print them - can't remember the cost though. Maybe I can find our Capers.

I bet there are terrific photo ops at BACAB..I can't wait! I am going to carnival.com to book it now!Can't wait to meet all of you too! 2weeks..2weeks!!!

I almost forgot..I know it is 4.5 hours but do you know what time we leave the ship? The nice part is ..doing a ship tour you can get off the ship first.

Your pics are absolutely beautiful!!! Mom and I are both HUGE butterfly fans. It sounds like this is smaller than the one in GC but we are anxious to see it just the same.

We have done the annual exhibit at Brookfield Zoo dozens of times( became zoo members just for that reason) as well as the South American butterfly exhibit at Milwaukee Zoo one summer, the live butterfly room at the Milwaukee Museum downtown (no good photo ops as the lighting is odd, but incredible displays and still a blast to visit!) and any time I am traveling and there is a butterfly exhibit or botanical gardens to hit, I am THERE :) smearing fruit juice on my shoulders to make the flutterbys like me. I have studied them to the point I cna tell a spicebush from a pipevine swallowtail, a tiger from a zebra longwing. (My faves have always been the mosaics, glasswings and the malachites, but hubby favors the blue morphos and luna moths.)

I am also a huge monkey fan..hope the howlers are out. I was thinking about the baboon sanctuary but just knowing there is a chance we could see some/hear them at Bacab ..I'm happy! (smile)

very cool! our son can be a little monkey so at the very least I am sure we can get him to howl for you (j/k!) hahaha.I like smaller simians, capuchins etc. not a fan of the bigger ones. they remind me of too many ex-boyfriends.

I know that when we were on the Destiny they would transfer pics from memory sticks to CD's (I think) or print them - can't remember the cost though. Maybe I can find our Capers.

I heard that but someone mention they also could be out of service. I hope they aren't. We might have a laptop in our party and will bring a flashdrive just in case. I just know we will be taking a few thousand pics. Heck I am good for 500-600 just in a 7 hour zoo trip. And that doesn't count all the serense sunsets, closeups of the dining room grapes and shots of DVD polayers in the dining room. ;)

I almost forgot..I know it is 4.5 hours but do you know what time we leave the ship? The nice part is ..doing a ship tour you can get off the ship first.

It is listed as 9a-1:30 but I am hoping we get to leave at our leisure and if so, won't leave prob. until 2:45-3p or so. We are in port 8a-5p according to the itinerary.

Right about now I will be waking up, feeding the babe, staring at our hotel room and wondering why the heck we brought so muhc stuff, then remembering 8 things I needed and forgot.

hehehe!!!

Colleen

very cool! our son can be a little monkey so at the very least I am sure we can get him to howl for you (j/k!) hahaha.I like smaller simians, capuchins etc. not a fan of the bigger ones. they remind me of too many ex-boyfriends.

Wow ..Brookfield Zoo..haven't been there in years! You know your butterflies WAY better than I do! I have looked up some info online about what we might see. Sounds like a great day at our own pace and yes, I hope they let us stay a bit longer too!

I think I posted it on the other board - your son is going to have a wonderful time! DH and I have brought DD on some of our cruises since she was four ..loves nature, animals, the water and has always been my little social "butterfly" so cruising is her thing. Some of my best family cruise memories are of watching her have so much fun!

This place sounds like it has lots to see and do for all ages.

I prefer the small monkeys too. It would be neat to see any of them in their natural habitat though. Can't wait!:)

Hey EMTRa & minxkelly! Can either of you post a review of Bacab when you get back? :D I haven't been able to find any reviews either and we were thinking of going to Bacab in April when we are on the Miracle. I would greatly appreciate it :D

Thanks in advance & I hope you both have a great cruise!!!

Absolutely! Minxkelly's family and I are all on the same cruise and yes will definitely report back as soon as we return. You are correct..there is virtually nothing to read about it as it is so new! There are a few good comments here on the CC boards if you do a search. It looks like the perfect day for us - we are hoping it is as beautiful as the pics!

Absolutely! Minxkelly's family and I are all on the same cruise and yes will definitely report back as soon as we return. You are correct..there is virtually nothing to read about it as it is so new! There are a few good comments here on the CC boards if you do a search. It looks like the perfect day for us - we are hoping it is as beautiful as the pics!

That's awesome! Thanks again! I will be waiting patiently :D upon your return. You guys are going to have so much fun!

Again - have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are back from our Miracle cruise and did this excursion. I have to say this place would have been much better on a nice warm, sunny day! Our trip began with boarding a large bus and our guide was a woman from Belize- very knowledgeable - pointed out all kinds of buildings, answered questions and talked about her Mayan heritage. It was interesting. The day was overcast, raining and chilly. The trip is about 45 minutes away on bumpy roads..intensified due to the rainfall. The park itself is nice. I was basically expecting transportation to the park and being able to wander and see the park at our own pace. However, she guided us to/through the butterfly house and is had a very informative presentation about the butterflies. She also has a good sense of humor too. We gathered for a cafeteria style lunch (included) chicken (a bit dry for me) rice & beans (not to be confused with beans&rice) a delicious potato salad (liked this best!) fresh fruit and plantains. Juice or water included or the bar served sodas,bottled water and Belikin beer that is not included. Then, we were at our leisure for about 2 hours. This would have bee great if it was sunny and warm as the pools/grounds are beautiful and lush but we had lots of mud. We got in and waded around but with the fresh rainwater..water was COLD! Make sure if it is raining take a sweatshirt/jacket and at least an umbrella just in case. It downpoured just as we were leaving. I have always expected showers in the rainforest (duh! lol) we were just caught off guard as it lasted all day!and there was lots of mud. Also, I have 3 or 4 mosquito bites from the park..take bug spray to use if NOT going to the butterfly farm or to use afterwards.

There was a small gift shop that sold Belize wines, knickknacks, simple tee shirts, post cards etc..

Our trip was about the same returning as it was going ...more information or time for a nap whichever you prefer.

If you have any questions just ask..we have lots of pics to post and I will have a link soon..just got home last night. Maybe Minxkelly will be back with the guide's name and her review also. Hope this helps! Personally I think I saw it once and that was enough for me...but like I said if it was a bright sunny hot day..might be worth another shot.

Hey EMTRa - glad you all had a good time - except for the rain & all. Looking forward to your pictures - but take your time :D

Hi geosgirl, My pictures of Bacab are ready..I didn't have time to put captions on all of them but they are in the link below under the Dec. 3 Miracle cruise...enjoy..it really is beautiful! :D

Maybe Minxkelly will be back with the guide's name and her review also. Hope this helps! Personally I think I saw it once and that was enough for me...but like I said if it was a bright sunny hot day..might be worth another shot.

Hi Rachelle! It was fun meeting you. We saw your mom again at the Cat'sMeow on Costa Maya, but I don't think we ran into you there.

Well, I am a bit more of a butterfly snob so I will have a different take I am sure, but I did enjoy the day quite thoroughly. The tour guide's name was Lourdes and she had the perfect blend of local history/information, humor and friendliness. The bus itself was comfortable and air-conditioned and the employees were all extremely helpful (we had our stroller with to lug around and they helped us with it at every opportunity). All the locals fell in love with our son (no surprise, he is a cutie!)

On the drive to and from the park we learned about the local governor, benefactor, their school system, local exports (woods) how they dealt with gang crime and more. I find that kind of thing fascinating but I know my husband tuned it out. Once at the park we walked a bit to where there were lockers for our bags and things, then got a guided tour of the area. Lourdes showed us and described many of the plants and their amazing medicinal uses (including mother nature's ***** that kept a lot of the Belizeans smiling--men and women alike!) hahah. I too wish we had more time to roam on our own, but the butterfly area was nice. Compared to other butterfly exhibits it was not well-populated and could use more varieties I think. There were lots of blue morphos, and several photogenic mexican bluewings, but with the rain not many butterflies were in a lazy mood to be captured on film. Lourdes showed us several spots where the eggs were laid on leaves and were caterpillars were evident, then showed us several species of caterpillars and how they related in coloring to their resulting butterflies. It was very informative.

Lunch was pleasant. I have a tough time eating chicken but found this dish tender. The plantains were delish and my toddler loved them and the potato salad. After that we were on our own and wandered back to the pool area. Hubby went back to the butterfly area for more photos while I splashed in the pool with my son. the kid's pool depth was perfect for his 33" height and he fought me like a wild man when it was time to get out. The temperature was fine since I was only in up to my knees. ;)

The park itself is lush and the path from the entrance to the pool area is like a rainforest jungle. There is a paddock with lots of horses (where they have the horseriding excursion) and a few small birds (parrakeets mostly). there was a family of peacocks/peahens that were pretty and well-behaved (have met some really rude ones before). Supposedly there were monkeys somewhere but I didn't see them, maybe that was with the nature-walk excursion. I did enjoy the foliage/flowers as much as the butterflies. I am a total nature nut/earthmother, so there was very little that could have happened to make me unhappy there.

Even the rain didn't discourage me, but I would have loved to spend a good 7 hour day at the park in sunny weather to truly enjoy the pool and park. It strikes me as the kind of place you would want the whole family there for a multi-day outing. If I rode horses it would have been even more fun.

Anyway here are some photos from us. I thought it was well worth the money and we had a wonderful time. I would visit again and hopefully have more time there, but its distance from the pier makes "winging it" pretty impossible I think. The gift shop had lovely local art, fun fruit wines (hubby bought mango wine, papaya wine and ginger wine for $5 each as well as papaya and mango preserves and some local hot sauces.) I bought a lovely scarf/sarong for $15 and some small handpainted butterfly xmas ornaments for $6 each. I recommend the Eco-park highly.

Colleen

http://www.xnet.com/~countzi/ccwings/2006/

Hi geosgirl, My pictures of Bacab are ready..I didn't have time to put captions on all of them but they are in the link below under the Dec. 3 Miracle cruise...enjoy..it really is beautiful! :D

I really enjoyed your pictures, they were beautiful! So were yours, minxkelly! I am glad you all had such a great time, even though the weather didn't exactly cooperate :(

Thanks again for the pictures & the review!!

Archived