Newbie to Snorkeling-Cozumel or Cost Maya?

weebo

Can you help? This will be the first time my DH and I try snorkeling and we are headed to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Caymen in March 07.

We don't know what places are best for people new to snorkeling. We are using the Royal Caribbean excursions and would love some suggestions of best places to go.

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

My first choice would be Grand Cayman. Unless you want to see the stingrays there, and many people do, I'd definitely skip the ship's over priced, over crowded snorkel trip and just snorkel from shore at Eden Rock. It is just a short walk to the right from where the tenders dock in Georgetown. There are 2 dive shops very close to it that rent snorkel gear if you don't have your own. It doesn't cost money to snorkel there, it is free.

edenrockmap.jpg

Cozumel would be my second choice. You can snorkel from shore there too for very little cost, but the better snorkeling will be from a boat. Again, there are better, less crowded choices than the ship's excursion. http://www.eagleraydivers.com is a good choice. If you want to snorkel from shore, Dzul Ha is the best choice. You can easily take a taxi there from where you dock. It won't be more than a 10 minute ride. Agree to the taxi fare before you get in the taxi. Price will be for up to 4 people, not per person. Try to have a bunch of 1$'s and 5$'s so you will have exact change. Tipping for a taxi is not expected. If you do go to Dzul Ha, you won't be charged to snorkel there, but you will be expected to buy a least a couple of drinks and buying some food would also be a friendly gesture. More Dzul Ha information and photos Here.

Last choice for snorkeling would be Costa Maya. Here I'd either go to Mahahual and spend most of the day there at the beach or go to one of the ruins. I'd also try to do this not thru the ship. (Do you see a pattern?) For more information about Costa Maya, check the Costa Maya section.

My Costa Maya photo gallery in case you are interested.

Archived