MR.Barbados...Please help!!!

tdt741

We are coming to Barbados by cruise ship on Apr 4th and we plan to get married. Found a great photographer(Peter Sheppard) and were planning getting married at Crane beach or Bottom Bay, but he told us it would cost us more and suggested that there are nice beaches close to Bridgetown. Could you reccomend a couple of nice beaches near there that would be ideal for a wedding. It is only going to be 4 of us, so just a little wedding.....thanks so much for all of your postings and helping everyone more that you know!!!!

We are coming to Barbados by cruise ship on Apr 4th and we plan to get married. Found a great photographer(Peter Sheppard) and were planning getting married at Crane beach or Bottom Bay, but he told us it would cost us more and suggested that there are nice beaches close to Bridgetown. Could you reccomend a couple of nice beaches near there that would be ideal for a wedding. It is only going to be 4 of us, so just a little wedding.....thanks so much for all of your postings and helping everyone more that you know!!!!

Hummm. That is a good question!

Any of the beaches close to B-town would be OK. Black Rock, Panes or Rockley to the south all have the look, but they also have the people! If isolation and apparent solitude are important to you, you’ll have to spend a few more bux and hit the SE or E coasts, or go further north on the West coast.

Now, shooting wedding pix on a public beach sends chills down my spine, unless the client just wants them natural and unposed. If that’s the case, head up to Paynes, Mullins/Gibbs beach. Gibbs can be very deserted, depending on the time and the luck. Also, the photographer that you choose certainly has his favorite spots and knows where to go to give you the best background. Sometimes, second-guessing the photographer isn’t a good idea.

Now, if it were my daughter getting married on the island, here is where I’d go:

bottonbay2.jpg

bottombay.jpg

Yep, Bottom Bay. Not many people, fairly easy access (compared to Crane which is the worst access), and only 18 miles from the pier. It can be windier than the West coast beaches, so take that into consideration. This is about as close to Eden as you’ll find in the Caribbean. If he’s only going to charge you an extra US$50 or $100, it would be worth it.

My best wishes for a wonderful day and continued happiness to you. :)

I e-mailed the photogapher, and he e-mailed me back and told me to go to Bottom Bay it would be $60 extra witch is great with me and told me it would be about an hour extra round trip. He also wanted to let me know that the aera is not considered safe isn't safe there and tourist have been robbed because it is isolated and not patrolled. I just wanted to be sure this is a good location still, and I am sure it is since you mentioned it and I trust your opinion...thanks!!

I e-mailed the photogapher, and he e-mailed me back and told me to go to Bottom Bay it would be $60 extra witch is great with me and told me it would be about an hour extra round trip. He also wanted to let me know that the aera is not considered safe isn't safe there and tourist have been robbed because it is isolated and not patrolled. I just wanted to be sure this is a good location still, and I am sure it is since you mentioned it and I trust your opinion...thanks!!

US$60 is quite fair.

And yes, he is correct about any of the isolated beaches. One shouldn't go there alone or even two people. But if it's the four of you and the photog that would be very safe even if there are not others on the beach.

Also, I wouldn't think that you would be there more than an hour.

So, not to worry! You'll have the best wedding pictures of them all! ;)

Oh, boy….the Barbados Chamber of Commerce is going to string me up for not explaining my statement thoroughly.

Isolated beaches like Bottom Bay, Palmetto Bay, Conset Bay, etc are like any isolated area near cities: They attract muggers.

The sugar cane fields also attract muggers that are why I never recommend mini mokes or convertibles.

As most of our police patrols are on the West and South coasts and slightly inland, the East coast remains under-patrolled. Just like ‘where’s a cop when you need ‘em’?

Anyway, I cannot ever remember reading about any muggings at Bottom Bay, however I’m sure they’ve happened, but infrequently. When I do read about them on the island, it is usually a single tourist or a husband-wife strolling on the beach at midnight thinking this is paradise and nothing can happen to them.

Good sense (if it was common sense, everyone would have it), being alert and aware are necessary anywhere that you go in the world today, as you already know.

Drugs in the Caribbean are certainly a big part of the problem, but a number of years ago the immigration laws were relaxed on some of the neighbouring islands allowing Russian and Asian organized crime groups to obtain citizenship and run their drug operations discretely through their ‘businesses’.

For a population approaching a third of a million, Barbados has a relatively low crime rate. We are now at 27 murders, while Jamaica is above 70. Surprisingly, Grenada has one of the lowest crime rates in the Southern Caribbean, while Cuba has the best in the North. I would be much more worried on the American Caribbean islands as their crime rate is escalating and violent daylight attacks are becoming commonplace.

Anyway, sorry to get carried away. A bus visit to the beaches is a terrific idea. Feel free to stop and enjoy any of the West coast beaches. If you go to the SE & East coast, only stop at beaches where you see a few cars or people. It is a good idea to ask the bus driver if he feels your choice is a safe one. They only seem to bother one or two people alone, more people than that and the cowards won’t bother you.

Have a great visit and DON’T WORRY! :)

Barbados,

Thank you so much for explaining the crime issue in such great detail. I think the more info a traveler has under his/her belt the better. We will be sure to steer clear of deserted beaches. I agree all islands/cities have there share of crime. I live 30miles north of Detroit.....enough said:eek:

Also...thank you for answering all my questions on the bus info thread. You were as aways a great help.:)

Now if I could figure out that bus schedule on the Transport Board site I would be all set.:D Our cruise isn't until March...so I have plenty of time to study it.:)

CaribbeanCrazy

Archived