Treated bad in Jamaica

After going to Jamaica a number of times (pleasure & business), I've concluded the best bet is to stay at a walled resort IF you have to go to Jamaica. Once you clear the craziness at the airport...you can finally relax.

If cruising, I would never get off the ship at Jamaica.

We stopped in Ocho Rios as well, and we enjoyed our day. We too had folks hassling us to buy their wares, marijuana, being asked to party, etc...but I don't fault these people..it is a poor economy and if the cruise passengers weren't buying, they wouldn't do it right? Also, we have to remember that all cultures are different...I am from Germany and what we may consider rude here in America, is really not...it's just a part of their culture and that is the way things are done. If you think you got treated rude in Jamaica, I suggest you never travel to Turkey or some African countries. According to "American standards" they are even "more rude"!

One thing to remember in Jamaica as well...there is a lot of respect, if you know how to demand it...they don't understand the "no, thank-you" American approach. Tell them "with respect, mon", shake your head and move on, and you'll be left alone. Our cruise experience would've been greatly diminished if we hadn't gotten off the ship, met a wonderful taxi driver and had a blast with our guide at Dunn's River Falls. I'd go back again.

"[color=darkorange]Perhaps some of these cruise vacationers who do not seem to enjoy [color=yellowgreen]many of the Caribbean islands [/color]would be better served on another type of cruise. Hawaii, the Mississippi, Alaska, and Canada spring to mind. You won't find the grinding poverty of the Caribbean in any of those itineraries. You will get a change of climate and scenery without having to worry about dealing with Caribbean natives. Oh, if all you want is a beach and warm weather, then perhaps a land vacation in the southern US might fill the bill."[/color]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3]Thanks, 98Charlie, I too missed the part of the thread where anyone said anything about other islands. I thought we were onlytalking about Jamaica. So there's no poverty in Mississippi? I bet there is. There are poor all over the US. Are the poor in Mississippi standing near the dock at the river harrassing the travellers? I'm doubtful of that.[/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=3]There's poor in Mexico, but I've never been harassed any of the times I've been there. I was in the Dominican Republic for a week - outside of a resort - where there's just as much poverty as in Jamaica. Never harrassed there. Jamaica had the worst, rudest people I've ever encountered anywhere. If some people think it's okay to be treated that way just because they're another culture, fine. Be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand and ignore it. That's your prerogative. [i]My[/i] prerogative is to never set foot on Jamaica ever again.[/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3]Sharon H.[/size][/font]

[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=blue]Our last visit to Jamaica was uneventful because I was feeling ill.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]Our friends had a tour guide for her family and their outing was uneventful.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]I've posted our experience in Jamaica when we visited there in May of 2002. It was along the same lines as some of the other posters regarding the rudeness & aggressiveness of some of the locals.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]My wife & I were never approached to purchase Marijuana, nor were we [/color][/size][/font][/b][b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]searched for illegal drugs by the local law enforcement.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]Peat taylor was our guide when we visited the island in 2002. He took us to Dunns River Falls entrance, but he did not participate in the actual tour of the falls. It was inside the park (DRF) where we experienced the aggressiveness & rudeness of the local people.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]We are & will return to Jamaica. We know what to expect from the merchants & some of the local people. I would truly suggest that you use a guide like Peat Taylor or one of his fellow competitors.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]Note: Stay alert, be mindful of your surroundings and never ever allow anyone to separate you from your spouse & or family.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#0000ff]Safe travels & smooth sailings[/color][/size][/font][/b]

We had a great experience the last time we were docked in Jamaica. We stayed on the ship, swam in nearly empty pools , had a spa treatment (reduced price because it was a port day), got great bar service, had a nice quiet lunch with no lines and plenty of available tables, took a nap and just relaxed.

Our first time to Jamaica we had similar experiences as those that have posted above, but wanted to climb the falls, ect. Now that we've been there, done that we stay onboard and enjoy the ship while others go ashore.

[quote name='Monte65']Since I started this thread, I thought I would respond after reading all the posts so far. It seems that different people have had different experiences when it comes to Jamaica. I just wanted to let everyone know how we were treated there and I understand that everyone can make their own decision about whether to go there or not. I understand that the people are just trying to make a living, but there is still no need to be so aggressive. I’ve been to a lot of the other islands myself and never experienced people like those on Jamaica. I wish a kind No Thank You would have worked, but it didn’t. And the name calling was just uncalled for. I wouldn’t treat people visiting the US like that. Enough said. For those that stay on the ship when visiting Jamaica, I’ll see you at the pool! For the others, I hope you are treated like you should be. With respect.[/QUOTE]
I am reminded of my lifeguard training (when I was much much younger) being taught how to deal with people who nearly drown you while you are trying to rescue them. Yes, there is no need for agressiveness in either case (drowning rescuer or Jamaican street vendor) but both kinds of people are beyond considering need. Both kinds of people feel (in that kind of desperation you don't think) that if they don't do what they need to do, they are doomed. In the case of the drowning vicitm, actually overpowering your rescuer will result in a drowning. In the case of the Jamaican street vendor, being "passive" (read that polite) usually results in no sale. No sale results in nothing to bring home to your family. Do this often enough and the situation becomes lethal. It just dawned on me that the best thing we can do to change the culture of street vendor interaction (in any area of great poverty) is to seek out street vendors who are behaving in a way that we would like and BUY SOME of whatever they are selling. If many people did this, I believe that our definition of good manners would be easier to come by in Jamaica and similar ports.

I've been to Ocho Rios twice, both times on RCCL cruises--June 2003 with a group of 15, and January 2004 with my family of 4. The first time, after reading threads like this one, I was afraid to venture too far, so some of our group walked to Margaritaville for a bit. I returned to the ship; the rest enjoyed the shore excursions they had arranged. The river tubing remains my 12-year-old daughters all time favorite excursion of any cruise she's been on. :) No one in our group was hassled, called names, searched, or offered marijuana. (Eight members of our group were between the ages of 16 and 24--profiling age.) "No thanks" was sufficient when dealing with vendors.

Last January, feeling more adventuresome, we took a shore excursion lasting 5 hours that was a wonderful glimpse of this island and its history and culture. Again, no yelling, name calling, drug offerings, etc. Jamaica is a beautiful island, and I feel so sad for the inhabitants who live with so little materially. (Perhaps they don't care how I feel about it...) We did buy some souvenirs on this trip.

I'm sorry the OP (and others) had the experiences they did. I hope those who haven't been to Jamaica will give the island a chance before making up their own minds. Wish I had on my first visit!

Chris
PS--Not that anyone's wondering, but none of our group "looked like" the Jamaicans...unless you count the 2 arms, 2 legs, head on top of shoulders, etc... :D

We were there Oct. 2003 on the Voyager with our 2 daughters ages 12 and 8 and had a wonderful time. Our kids said it was their favorite Island and we are going back in December on the Voyager again. I told my daughters if anyone talks to you just politely say no-thank you. We walked through the market place at the Dunn's River Falls and I was really surprised at how nice all the locals were to us. One gentleman even told my husband what a lucky man he was to have such a beauiful family. Nobody ever grabbed, threatened or insulted us a any point. It is a shame that Jamaica gets such a bad rap. Personally we thought the locals in Grand Cayman were greedy and rude and pushy! Part of the problem is these small Islands are being overrunned with more and more mega size cruise ships all disembarking at the same location. It's like feeding time for the locals who work close to the docks. I think the cruise lines need to build more terminals and spread out a little more if they are going to keep adding more mega size ships to their fleets.

It would seem that there are different results at different times for different people[list=1]
[*]Been there, loved it, I'll go back.
[*]Been there, I can handle the hassles, I might go back.
[*]Been there and, for what ever reason, have no desire to go back.
[/list] Obviously I am in group 3. Having said that I would encourage each cruiser/visitor to make up their own mind.

I can't let the "drowning man" analogy go unanswered. My lifeguard instruction from the Red Cross emphasized "Reach, Throw, Row, Go" in responding to such a situation. Meaning: Reach with an object (oar, pole, etc.), Throw a line or lifering, Row to them, and finally Go. The last resort is to put yourself in direct contact with a desperate individual. If I should ever find myself ashore in Jamaica you can bet I won't be looking for the honest vendor :eek:

It seems like the general concensus is that if one is going to get off the ship in Jamaica, a guided tour is the best bet for a hassle free vacation. We have contacted A-Z Jamaica for a custom tour of the island. I've been very specific that I want to see all the beauty the island has to offer without all the hassles. I'm hoping they can arrange something relaxing, away from the crowds and vendors. Frankly, I'm not remotely interested in going to any of the markets or touristy areas where tourists are preyed upon by desperate locals. While I feel sad for the locals, I do not want to be harrassed, spit at or called obsene names. I think this is beyond rude in any culture and these people know that and don't care. Who knows what we'd do in their situation, in the same extreme poverty. I pray I never have to "walk a mile in their moccasins". With that said, I prefer to avoid the issue altogether.

Some posters have pointed out that areas of the US are the same. This may be true but I've gotten out a little and have never experienced anything like that. I've visited many cities in the US and NEVER has anyone called me a name or spit at me for not buying a product. When DH and I were in the Bahamas, we visited the straw market and one time was more than enough of having little children beg "sing you a song for a dollar" and women grabbing you by the arm and insisting you buy from them. I hate negotiating. Put simply, I want to see the natural beauty of the islands without all the ridiculous haggling with local entrepreneurs. I prefer the dignified shopping of the US. I think the bottom line is that anyone who doesn't like the type of shopping experience Jamaica offers should stay away from those venues. I'll do my shopping here in the US and go with a tour for enjoying the island culture.

JMHO

Archived