Cruising with an infant

Donna573

My husband and I are planning a Western Caribbean cruise for late next year. Our son will be just over 1 year old by this time. Has anyone traveled with an infant this age and if so, were you still able to enjoy yourself? Does Carnival offer any type of special pricing for children this young?

Sadly, I can tell you that there is no price break. But you don't have to pay for gratuities in a child under two. My youngest had just turned two on her first cruise, so not as young as yours. I brought along some new toys and things to keep her entertained. The novelty didn't take long to wear off though. I would try and stick to your normal routine in regard to naps and things as much as possible. I know it's hard! Good luck.

Stuck in a 175 square foot room with an infant? sounds like a nightmare to me.

Wait until the baby is three and potty trained and can enjoy the kid's club and the pools. Till then, maybe grandma will watch the baby while you vacation.

Actually Camp Carnival accepts little ones at the age of 2 and they don't have to be potty trained. Carnival is one of the cruise lines that will change diapers.

Thank you all for your advice. I think we are going to leave the baby home with grandma while we are gone. That is what my husband originally suggested we do, but I felt like I was being a "bad mom" by planning a vacation without the little one. Believe me when I tell you that I got a few "looks" from relatives when I announced we were thinking about taking a cruise and leaving the little guy home. Now I feel better knowing that there is nothing wrong with waiting until he gets a little older. Happy cruising everyone!!! :D

My husband and I took our twin boys with us on our cruise last september and they were only 11 months. We did not have any problem with them. We took them to the shows and we reclined the stroller and let them sleep. Our head waiter had special food prepared daily for lunch and dinner for my boys. They ate mashed potatoes with steamed veg. mixed in. They were also fine on the shore as well. I think the most important thing is to bring a stroller that goes flat so that your baby can sleep whenever he wanted to. We are leaving again on a 8 day cruise in a few weeks... and we will be taking our boys with us. :D

I do not agree with the idea that you should not extend tips to employees for your child. As the above poster just mentioned the waiter went out of his way for her child. When there is a child at a table or in a cabin there is more work for that person.

Thank you all for your advice. I think we are going to leave the baby home with grandma while we are gone. That is what my husband originally suggested we do, but I felt like I was being a "bad mom" by planning a vacation without the little one. Believe me when I tell you that I got a few "looks" from relatives when I announced we were thinking about taking a cruise and leaving the little guy home. Now I feel better knowing that there is nothing wrong with waiting until he gets a little older. Happy cruising everyone!!! :D

You're not a bad mom, just a mom who deserves a break!! DH and I took a 7-day cruise, and left our then-13 month old at home with my dad and stepmom. They had fun with him for the week, we enjoyed sleeping past 5 am for a change, it's a win-win for everyone. :)

Donna, I think you've now made a wise decision by leaving the little one at home with granny.

One thing, the expense for a child is almost as high as adults, and the fact that you would be stuck in the cabin for much of the cruise...what 'fun' would that be for either you or your DH?

Another thing is that the child woudn't even realize or care what a great vacation he's on!;) At that age, your son would probably just appreciate being home with granny and with his own things and schedule. Besides, I would imagine (being a granny myself) that his granny would love to have him all to herself.

MUCH more time in your future to take the little guy on vacations. I think you and DH probably actually NEED this time alone anyway...:)

Archived