Just got off Jewel of the Seas - Thanksgiving Cruise

We are leaving on the Jewel for New Years. We had our travel agent request for egg crates fort he mattresses, and they told him that the beds have the memory foam as part of the upgrades. I could swear that the ship has not been upgrade yet. Do you know? I think my travel agent may have been misinformed. Thank you. Also, do you know who was performing in the Schooner Bar?

The beds did have memory foam on them, and I found them very comfortable.

The pillows were thin, so I recommend bringing your own pillows. When I doubled up RCI's pillows, they didn't improve my comfort.

As to Schooner Bar, it was a piano player with grey hair. I thought he was good, my wife thought he was ok. But she's the musician of the family!

CLUEMEISTER

Thanks for the post. We'll be on this cruise with a couple of 16 in March. I'm looking for a good night other than formal to book Chops. Any suggestions? Also do you recall which night the Quest is played?

We booked Chops for Puerto Rico night (Monday). It was early in the cruise, and many people were still on the island. If you want to see more of Puerto Rico, you could book the 9 PM seating.

Not sure about QUEST. Don't even know what that is.

I did attend the "Love and Marriage" Game, and that was enjoyable. Be aware if you volunteer for that game, it's broadcast and rebroadcast on the ship's tv's for days. So when they ask, "what's the strangest place you made whoopee?" everyone on the ship will remember you on the boat for the rest of the cruise!

we were also on the jewel this week, just got in last night. We had a wonderful time, the ship is beautiful and the staff very friendly. There was an Italian night, it's on Monday when your'e in San Juan. Caribbean night is on Tuesday. Unfortunatly Italian night is when they have the hot chocolate cake and we missed it because we we're in San Juan. But thanks to our wonderful waiter Emmanual and head waiter Ischmael (sp?) we requested and received the chocolate cake the next night and it was excellant.

We only had a regular mattress on our bed not the memory foam but the first night we asked for an egg crate pad and received one and the bed was okay.

Thanks for speedy reply. After looking at the itinerary we thought San Juan might be a good night for Chops. By the way, Quest is an adult version of a scavenger hunt. It's fun to watch even if you don't participate. Next time you sail RCCL check it out.

We are leaving on the Jewel for New Years. We had our travel agent request for egg crates fort he mattresses, and they told him that the beds have the memory foam as part of the upgrades. I could swear that the ship has not been upgrade yet. Do you know? I think my travel agent may have been misinformed. Thank you. Also, do you know who was performing in the Schooner Bar?

We will be joining you as well...family of 4 from Melbourne, Fl.

• 2 weeks later...
As to the alcohol question, we did not put any alcohol in our luggage, or know anyone who did. They did have collection stations onboard as soon as you left each island, saying it was against rules and/or the law to bring onboard. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful there.

It's against their rules for you to take your alcohol purchased off-ship to your cabin - they collect it as you get back on from each island, tag it with your name and room number, then deliver it to your cabin on the last night so you can pack it up to take it home. Some of the merchants will even deliver your purchase to the ship for you, so you don't have to carry it around/back to the ship and then go through the liquor collection station. This was definitely the case in San Juan, where there was a duty-free liquor shop at a pier a block or two down from where we were docked. I only bought one bottle there, but didn't want to carry or wait, so I asked to have it delivered (there's no extra charge); the clerk rolled her eyes and said "don't you have a big purse or bag you can hide it in??" This was just before RCCL got stricter on the booze situation, but I just asked her to please deliver it anyway. Got it in my cabin the last night just fine!

Archived