Snorkeling in Hawaii

robynmar

Well I don't know which Island you'll be on but I really enjoyed the Black Rock site by the Sheraton Hotel on Maui.... Nice easy entry and lot's of fish/turtles....

Then my 2nd favorite was the Island of Kona.... Can't remember the name but it was a small area off the street for a public outing.. A rocky entry so be careful but so much marine life.... They had public facilities, lifeguard........ I think it was Kahaluu Beach Park but not sure.....

Then I liked Waikiki Beach on Oahu... We went out there just for the water but I started seeing lot's of fish ..... It wasn't great but if your there, check it out.....

We loved Honolua Bay, a little north of Lahaina Maui. No fishing is allowed in the area and the fish are plentiful. We saw turtles, octopus, and many beautiful varieties of fish. It is a rock beach so it's not a great beach experience but the snorkeling was excellent.

• 6 months later...

We were in Hawaii last September and we had the best time snorkeling in Kona, on the Big Island. We rented a car and stopped along at some of the beaches. Pu'uhonnua o Honaunau National Historical Park (fee to park) was Great and we stopped at another beach (free parking) just north of the Park but south of the Port. We went on a snorkel excursion through NCLA in Lahaina, Maui a couple days before. We were suppose to go to Molkini Crater, but couldn't due to weather conditions. It was quite disappointing.

In Maui Honolua Bay is good in summer. Makena past Wailea, also in Maui, is full of turtles. You see a lot of snorkel boats coming in for turtles in late morning after the Molokini trip. Kealakaua Bay and the Place of Refuge in the Big Island. Hideaways(Pali Ke Kua) Beach below Princeville in Kauai. Lanai is good also.

Kauai - Ke'e Beach (conditions permitting)

Maui - Honolua Bay and Ahihi-Kinau Natural Preserve

Big Island - Kahalu'u Beach Park and Honaunau Bay (AKA "One-Step")

Almost a guarantee you'll see turtles at Kahalu'u Beach Park. Honolua Bay is sometimes frequented by dolphins. Honaunau also great for turtles and interesting topography.

If your on Oahu... during the summer, the North Shore at a place called Shark Cove.. Its a local spot that allot of tourist don't know about... but I must say is one of my all time favorite spots to snorkel in Oahu.

I also agree with the previous post about Maui.. those are highly recommended spots...Honolua Bay and Molokini are the most popular. One other recommindation would be a place called the aquarium near Nukuele Point on the south west end of the island.. however, it can only be gotten to by walking about 3/4 mile over lava rock or by kayack but well worth the effort.

Archived