How I Spent Thanksgiving Week on the Jewel!

coka

Hi Coka, I just have to ask... please say "hi" to Alex for us, Tami and Greg. In case he forgot, I am the one on crutches traveling with family of 10 on the Jewel last summer. Tell him too we're looking at several cruises in the next few months. Back to the Star or maybe the Sun. Then too, the Jewel or Pearl. But, this time no big family will be coming along!

Ahhh geezzzz, I just remembered you are already home. See, I'm living this review like it is happening now!

(No problem, CruisinfromMN, my hubby feels like I am not home yet, either!)

The Nyer and I awoke to the ship docked in Antigua. We found the room service request sheets in the cabin booklet's back pocket the night before. Henry, our butler, was on time and he set a beautiful table setting on the balcony (well, we moved the table outside before he got there)! While dining, we basked in the glorious sunshine while discussing whether or not we would ever make it to one of the big shows offered almost each night. We missed the comedy show but had asked a family the night before if it was funny. A middle-aged dad with his family said it was a riot and that we missed a good performance. The NYer and I concluded that it possibly could not have been funnier than the two of us hanging out together all week...

The NYer left after breakfast to get a salon appointment and I continued to work on my tan and to catch up on sleep on the balcony. The Antigua welcome band down below played. As I tried to rest, my eyes kept opening to view this awesome cathedral in hills of downtown St. John. I wondered how far a walk it was...I rested...I opened my eyes again and was drawn to the immaculate structure. It stood out among all the other buildings...I rested again...opened my eyes and felt the beckoning..."Coka...Coka...Come To Me...!"

I asked the Nyer later and TheOnlyJoie if they wanted to walk up and check out the Cathedral. Both replied not only no, but "heck no!" I finally fell asleep but awoke once again. "Coka my child, you must come to me!" the church bellowed once again. We had talked about hitting the beaches in Antigua but everyone was content with just doing their own thing...a perfect agreement when cruising with friends or family. Falling asleep again, I was jolted with a bolt..."Coka you better get up here right now and pay homage!" I got dressed and told the NYer I was going for a walk to the church. She decided to join me.

Before heading out we checked the freestyle daily to make sure of the time we had to return. We noticed on each port-of-call the advisory notice: "While ashore drink only bottled water, be cautious while dining in port, wash your hands often, and discourage hand shaking. This is one of the great things about NCL...the multitude stations of hand sanitizers everywhere you go on ship. I truly believe this is the reason one hardly hears about norovirus on NCL ships.

St. John's Cathedral was not a far walk as I thought. Closer than it appeared from the ship, I was glad I had comfy shoes on as the sidewalks were in need of repair. The view was beautiful from the outside. The cemetary around the church was interesting. The structure inside was extremely interesting. We read through the brochure that noted the history, the organ, the wood, the stained glass, and the altar. Suddenly a local hands us a bible and a hymn book. Mass began.

We went to leave and turned around. The church was semi-filled with locals. The NYer said, "Let's GO!" I replied, "NO!, think of the grace we can get by staying!...I will meet you back at the ship if you want!" She stayed as we moved to the back. The mass was very interesting. I remembered the words to most of the responses but followed a local when it came time to stand and to sit and stand again. I even sang...and I never sing! This was great I thought! I could have been at the beach, on a tour, drinking at the bars while on vacation, but here we were praying in St. John.

I prayed for my family, for my community, for my friends, for the families/coworkers who I cried about to TheOnlyJoie in Senor Frogs, for NCL, for the locals, and I thanked God, Jesus and Mary for having the life that I have...The main message was no matter how great you are (a great teacher, a great doctor, a great lawyer), what truly matters is how GOOD you are at the end of the day. Knowledge is wonderful, but how you use it to help others is what counts...

Then came the sign of peace. Back home we just say peace be with you to whoever you are standing next to. In Antigua, the ENTIRE group leave the pews, walks around and SHAKES HANDS with everyone! The Nyer is freaking out and I am whispering, "Just dont put your hands to your face after!" We shook hands with all the catholic Antiguans including the priest who also walks around. There were five other cruisers and we just nervously shook each others hands and gave each other a look of "Oh my God"...

Thirty minutes and four songs later I forgot about the hand-shaking. It was time for the body of Christ. I wanted to go up to the altar and kneel just like I did as a little kid when the catholic masses were done in Latin. The locals were also up at the altar on the left and I was the first cruiser on the right of them. Back home, the body of Christ is now given out in your hand for sanitary reasons. In Antigua, the priest delivers the host directly to your mouth. "Oh Jesus," I thought..."Please do not let the priest's finger touch my tongue! Oh Jesus please forgive me for thinking this!"

I watched as the body of Christ came my way. My turn arrives. I stiffen, shut my eyes and stick out my tongue as far as possible. Then it was over. "Thank you Jesus...no wet finger!" Of course the priest was probably thinking, "Oh Jesus, please do not let my finger touch this heathen cruiser's toungue!" as he delivered the wafer to me. I watched in glee and in anticipation to see if his finger touched the other cruiser's tongues. I then bowed my head and thanked God.

Nobody left the altar. I prayed some more and wondered why we were all still kneeling up there. The priest shuffles, says some prayer and starts going down the line AGAIN. Another host? A blessing on the forehead? What was going on? I strain to see down the row and I spot the holy grail...the chalice of Christ's blood...placed on the lips of each local in the same spot as they sipped.

"OH JESUS!" I prayed. "Oh Jesus, cant that priest wipe off the chalice with a little more force with that napkin?" The priest was getting closer. I strained some more to see and thought, "Oh Jesus, how come he is not turning that freaking cup?!" The priest was now ten locals away from me. "Oh Jesus, will I offend these people if I get up and leave?" The priest was five locals away. I turn to the right and look at at the four tourists. They looked as if the devil himself was on his way to steal their souls.

I wish I had a camera to capture one tourist's look at me. It was sheer horror. I returned the look, shook my head no to her, bowed my head and prayed, "Father, forgive me!" as I stood and left just as the priest arrived. I returned to my pew and prayed more for forgiveness if I offfended anyone in Antigua. The NYer wanted to ask me what the heck happened...because all she saw me get up and then five others disappear in a NY second...but I was too busy praying.

Church closed with everybody leaving the pews once again and standing in a circle holding hands singing a hymn. I think I prayed to Jesus more times in 75 minutes (yeah, 75 minutes!) than I did my entire life. I felt like a good person upon leaving. I left a hefty donation to help preserve St. John's Cathedral. Jesus is going to be with me for a solid two years after that "tour!"

Love, Coka

The NYer needed a drink after church as she informed me that she was not catholic. Who knew? I told her I would buy. I then spotted a school across the street and she then had to endure my conversations with the students, the teachers and the security guards. Amazing how things are different yet still the same throughout the world...

We ended up at the "BeeHive" a bar near the ship which serves local beer for 2 dollars a pop. Good thing I was buying. We were so full of Jesus that we found something good during every beer we drank. The beer was good...The tourists were good...The rain shower felt good...The ancient Antiguan street dancer who balanced a pineapple on his head was good...Life was good!

I was so full of Jesus, goodness and Antiguan beer that I decided to buy presents for all the people who had to support my job while I was away. One stop at "Lipstick" perfume factory and I had all my thank you presents. The only perfume shop "packed" with customers, I assumed the deals were good. One Obsession, Dolce and Gabbana, Red Door, Pure White Rain, Wish, Angel, J-LO Glow, and Versace-something later, I was done. I told the lady at check-out that it took 8 people to do my job while away. The male customer behind me replied, "What are you? A Housewife?..."

As we stumbled back onto the ship, the security guard just did not understand why after I placed each hand under the sanitizer that I also wanted to try to drink out of it. We followed the carpet back to our suite and realized we do not have a cabin in the back of ship. Always remember the carpet fish swim towards the front. I somehow managed to lose my key along the way. I think I sanitized my purse and my key under the machine and it somehow slipped out. The front desk people were very kind in replacing one. If you lose your key, go there immediately and they will void out the lost one and give you a new one. Others in the cabin will also have to have their key replaced too. So do not go to church, get drunk after, carry around 350 dollars worth of perfume, take a sanitizer shower and expect to have everything you started with.

The NYer headed off to her hot stone massage which she loved and highly recommends. I headed off to sleep in the lounger on the balcony. Jesus was happy with me and he finally let me get some good shut-eye since boarding on 11/19.

Coka

One of the NCL platinum member perks is a complimentary meal in any alternative restaurant. Alex set us up in the Bistro for 8pm. I donned a black halter top and white sailor pants. The NYer was late meeting me there. As I waited at the entrance a couple came up and told me of their reservation. I told them they would have to wait 45 minutes to be seated but if they slipped me a 20, then I would get them in sooner. They looked at me as if I had three heads until I informed that I was a passenger and not an NCL employee. Immediately afterwards, the Maitre D arrived and seated them.

Below is the new Le Bistro Menu:

Cold Appetizers: lobster/scallop/cauliflower mousseline (served in martini glass), hearts of Boston lettuce (fresh vegetabel ribbons, black truffles, champagne vinaigrette), chilled poached Atlantic Halibut (with cucumber/salmon caviar/red pepper coulis)

Warm Appetizers: Escargot, warm goat's cheese tart, moules mariniere (steamed black mussels/sauvignon blanc wine sauce)

Soups: Onion soup au gratin, cream of mushroom (in crusty sourdough loaf), and watercress veloute (frog's legs/garlic fricassee)

Entrees: Gilled Fillet of Turbot (with truffle leek confit, parisienne potatoes and beurre blanc sauce), Filet of Atlantic Salmon in Shrimp Crust (with sauteed Belgium endive and leaf spinach/choron sauce), Mediterranean Fish Soup-Boullabaisse style (sea scallops, snapper, halibut and saffron in a pernod broth/rouille sauce), Braised short rib and grilled beef tenderloin (on a bed of celery/snow peas/port wine glace), Canard a l'orange (roasted duck flambeed with grand marnier liquor, dauphine potatoes, vegetables in artichoke heart prepared tableside), supreme of corn fed chicken aux morilles (stuffed chicken breast on fricassee of patti/pan squash and artichoke/foie gras stuffed morel mushrooms)

Desserts: Creme Brulee, chocolate mousse, apple tart tatin a la mode, cheese selections

I remember there was an additional menu (a tasting menu) but a copy was not in my packet. I remember someone complaining about the fish soup on cruisecritic so I ordered it. I liked it. I received exactly the menu's description. I loved the lobster/scallop martini appetizer, agreed that the escargot could use more garlic, and liked the taste of the NYer's warm goat cheese tart. The NYer enjoyed her meal (the salmon) and the creme brulee. We both enjoyed the complimentary bottle of wine that came with our meal. Platinum is now my new favorite precious metal...

Coka

THIS

"OH JESUS!" I prayed. "Oh Jesus, cant that priest wipe off the chalice with a little more force with that napkin?" The priest was getting closer. I strained some more to see and thought, "Oh Jesus, how come he is not turning that freaking cup?!"

AND THIS

As we stumbled back onto the ship, the security guard just did not understand why after I placed each hand under the sanitizer that I also wanted to try to drink out of it.

had me laughing out loud. I almost spewed my diet Coke.

Thanks so much, Coka, for your delightful tales. :D

(Thanks Johnql, Russ and Barb!)

We brought our leftover Bistro complimentary wine to the Fyzz Lounge to see what Edge Unplugged was all about. Families were enjoying themselves and a crowd of yound and old were learning to juggle on the dancefloor. We met a lovely group from England and we laughed a lot with them. Could this be my cruise family? They were fun and we shared jokes. Afterwards, we went searching for our photos down on one of the lower decks and found them all. We decided they all made us look old and therefore we did not purchase any...

The International Crew Show won over our interest in nightly venues. Instead of karaoke or the Latin Fiesta Dance Party, I knew the crew show would be more entertaining. It is a treat to see your servers, your stewards, your cooks sing/dance and entertain. I believe shows like this add to morale and the passengers appreciated them. Cruise Director Paul Baya and his staff do a funny finale of "fountains." Without giving it away, I thought it was cute.

We finished the evening dancing in the Spinnaker's Lounge. While getting ready to retire, the NYer commented on how she is just loving her book on Marie Antoinette (she never opened it). I told her the ending does not turn out very well and to not feel bad...My NCLB material had not even been unpacked yet. I went to bed laughing how "I left them all behind" this week and that I was purely enjoying the cruise!

Coka

(Thanks Stillfloatin! My real life is for sure a comedy)!

I awoke a few hours later to the Immigration call. Any ship that stops in St. Thomas must go through immigration because re-entry to the United States. All passengers must show their passports/photo identification/room keys to the immigration officials who come on board. The day before, Alex, our concierge said to call him in the morning when we were ready to go and he would get us in the Easyquick line. I never called because this guy works overtime...

I left my cabin at 8pm and was back by 8:04pm. St. Thomas had enough officials show up and the entire process was painless. The foreigners had to go to Spinnakers and the Americans had to go through Azura restaurant. I realized later in the brochure that NCL organized approximate times: 7:45 was for citizens booked on shore excursions, and the remaining 15 minute intervals were for citizens on deck 11 and 14, then deck 10, and downward. I was still asleep while going through the Azura restaurant but noticed it seemed a favorable place to eat.

We later ate breakfast on the balcony and discussed St. Thomas. Wasn't he the one who doubted Jesus? Or, was St. Thomas named after St. Thomas Aquinas, the philosopher/theologian/teacher/traveler? We never reached an answer but agreed we had seen and done just about everything on the island in the past (Coki Beach, Megan's Bay, jewelry/watch/linen shopping, island tours and turtle cove).

Other possible shore excursions we discussed included snorkel tours, scuba tours, parasailing, St. John beach escape, Kon Tiki Party Raft, coral world and champagne catamaran sail/snorkel. I have done those on previous cruises and by this Thursday morning, I was not interested, especially since I bought that darned dress! The only thing both of us had never done was the screamin eagle jet boat or the skyline ride directly off the ship. Somewhat disappointed in ourselves that we were having to think about making a decision, the crew drill offered some relief.

I commend NCL for their pasenger safety. I already mentioned hand sanitizers but need to mention cameras all over the ship. A newer ship, I felt safe and secure knowing they were everywhere. Should a crime occur on board, I am sure that at least one if not four would show one spot. If you are bored on board...try to find the cameras...they are hidden everywhere. Phones are also all over the ship. Portable phones in each stateroom can be used to stay in contact with family members while on board.

In addition to the life-raft crew drill, the crew onboard this week had to participate in missing children simulations. The first simulation was Jill. The announcer described her and the crew had to find her. She was found within two minutes (the crew really has to search until found). The NYer said that was an easy one...she was probably in Jack's cabin...The second simulation was missing Willey. The Nyer had a field day with that one and I laughed for over an hour...

Coka

Laying in the sun on the balcony won us over until the shade arrived and we sunbathed at the pool for the very first time. We were soooooo relaxed. While many passengers were on St. Thomas, some of us had the pool to ourselves.

Two Sapphire pools are located on deck 12. One for kids with a giant water slide, the other for adults with a waterfall. Swimming under the waterfall gives a wonderful back massage. Be sure to stay under the water unless you want a head pounding. The kids waterslide was uneventful for me. I had a hard time sliding down it. Maybe because it was for kids? The peanut NYer had no problem but I was slighted by getting stuck on the slide. No fast downhill motion-plung-at-the end for this heavyweight!

I probably ticked off the little kids waiting their turn behind me, assuming their complaints to peers how the big adults were not staying in their own pool... Even so, I took my time as I gently had to push my tush one arm movement at a time all the way down. A little guy at the bottom said I was supposed to lay down to go faster. I said to him "Ohhhh!" while wanting to say "Whatever!"

We had great bar service all day and the pina coladas were great. We knew already to order them in a regular glass so we did not pay the extra cost of the fancy-smancy glasses. The pool band, Caribbean Wave was very good as they played easy-listening music. Showers are located nearby the pool but we found a large shower area on deck 13. It had gigantic fake shower handles with a large overhanging shower head. You press a button and the water flows to cool you off. Do not worry if the water keeps going and going...it shuts off automatically. I am sure if the camera guys were watching, they got a good laugh at the look of panic on my face when the water would not stop...

The pool areas on deck 12 and deck 13 began to fill up as passengers returned from the island. I watched one use their cell phone and I remembered The Family! Oh my gosh, it is Thanksgiving! Here I was on the beautiful Norwegian Jewel, it was 3pm in gorgeous St. Thomas, and I was enjoying the warm sun combined with a cool pina colada while they were all eating warm turkey in the cold green mountains. I missed them. I called them (My verizon cell phone worked in San Juan and in St. Thomas). My immediate family is so large that I had to call five houses to wish them all a happy turkey day. My family is so large that some were surprised when told why I could not come over for pumpkin pie that afternoon...I discussed the toss-up over who spoiled me more...my older brothers and sisters or NCL! I think both are even.

We left the pool area by sailaway time and decided to work off the pina coladas. The Fitness Center on deck 12 was large and many cardiovascular machines faced an ocean view. The NYer pointed out the corner water fountain with a very long spout. She whispered in my ear. No more Evian purchases the rest of the week...We finished the workout powerwalking the promenade deck as St. Thomas' view drifted further away. I think 2.3 times around the promenade is one mile. A jogging track is on the upper deck but it is too short for me and it is in full sun whick I do not like. You can not run on the promenade as some passengers (not many) go out there for relaxation, for shuffleboard, to watch the sunset, to read quietly, to kiss their lover, to think alone, to gather thoughts, to Whatever. Promenade decks are the best-kept secrets of any cruise ship.

Coka

I worked up a hefty appetite. An invitation to dine with officers was extended at the V.I.P. party earlier that week. We were suggested to pick a day and time. I responded that they were the ones who had the busy schedules and I thanked them. I commented to let us know what was convenient for them. After 27 cruises, 17 with NCL, I had Red Buttons fever (the comedien on the old Dean Martin roasts who never got a dinner) and always wondered how passengers get the invite. Figuring the invitation was just a nice gesture we assumed it would be forgotten. Besides, think of the stress of it all...

We were told on Le Bistro night to meet in Star Bar Thursday at 8pm with dinner at Cagney's to follow. Oh My Gosh. How do you decline that? I still wonder as of this writing how we got the invite. I am guessing the following:

1. Planer's Edge told them on recent sailing I was coming?

2. They know I am a cruisecritic?

3. I am an NCL platinum member?

4. They liked my commercial?

5. I was in a penthouse suite?

6. My SouthBeach formal dress flipping up?

7. Jesus was with me?

If any of you out there got an invite, I am curious as to how your invitation was extended...

Thursday was Caribbean night at sea. While getting ready we discussed what we were supposed to wear. Was it formal? Was it resort casual? Was it Caribbean? Should I wear my black and white dress? No, Caribbean night is usually the night the passengers and officers/staff/crew wear those horrible looking multi-colored caribbean shirts and goofy pants. We concluded the Star Bar and Cagney's Steakhouse had the least amount of color of all lounges on the ship so we would wear our brightest outfits too.

I called for help anyways to make sure. The response was this was freestyle cruising and that we could wear whatever. At that moment I felt like making a bed-sheet toga to show just what I thought about "whatever!" None the smarter, the NYer ended up in a casual caribbean dress and I ended up in a multi-colored floral halter top with white capris (we concluded they were definitely our worst outfits the entire week). At the very least, we would match the officer/staff/crew's worst outfits of the week too.

Alex, a.k.a our limosine driver, escorted us to the Star Bar and waited with us while the others showed up. I just about died when the Jewel officers walked in. Seems NCL took my previous advice and got rid of their caribbean outfits. These guys showed up in black dress pants, black dress shoes and Gorgeous silkish solid color Cuban shirts. Here we were in our stupid outfits and there they were looking like they just returned from a GQ Magazine shoot. Oh my god, this was going to be the longest dinner of my life, perhaps my last supper. I immediately ordered a mount gay rum and tonic with lime...

Coka

Oh my Coka, I have had this experience and it is a bit breathtaking, overwhelming. These officers are different, not like the ones made in America. I can imagine you are still praying to Jesus and Mary and counting your blessings after this one. ;) Did you get lucky or what. Enjoying your reviews.

-Dreamtravelr

...Upon arrival, we were asked how our day was. The NYer responded in an exhasperated voice, "I am EXHAUSTED!...I have been looking for Willey ALL day!...Have you guys found him yet?!" I almost had mount gay rum and tonic with lime come out my nose...

The only way to describe the dining experience was that I was dining at home with my family, especially my brothers and sisters. How surprised was I? We laughed, we told stories, we laughed, we ate a lot, we laughed more, we talked a lot and laughed some more. The NYer pointed out the ones (including me) from big families talked the most. She described it perfectly how we all grew up...we had to compete for the attention!

Overall, what a special treat for me to have been missing my family earlier that day and to have NCL find a way for me to feel right at home. My perception of officer stuffiness has changed as I realize they are people just like you and me. I come from a family of officers and I should have known better all along. Even so, I thank NCL for one of the best Thanksgiving dinners to remember.

If anything, I hope that they in return enjoyed themselves. Since this is done on a weekly basis, I somehow wonder how they view the dinners. There were a few times they almost had water coming out their noses, so I suspect it was something different for them too!

Okay, Below is the new Cagney's Menu:

Cagney’s Main Steak House Menu (Cover 15 dollars per person)

Starters: Colossal shrimp cocktail, Jumbo lump crab cakes, Oysters

Rockefeller

Soups and Salads: Lobster Bisque, New England Clam Chowder,

Cardini’s Original Caesar Salad, The wedge iceburg lettuce, Sliced

Beefsteak tomato/onion with balsamic dressing

Main Courses: Darne of Atlantic Salmon Oscar/Alaskan King Crab Leg,

Grilled Rare Ahi Tuna Steak, Slow Roasted Prime Rib of Beef (10oz or 14

oz) au jus and horseradish, Corn Fed Half Rotisserie Chicken, Double Cut

Domestic Lamb Chops, Milk Fed Veal Chop

USDA Certified Premium Gold Angus Beef Choices: Filet Mignon (your

choice of 5oz or 10oz), Rib Eye Steak (14oz), NY Strip Steak (10 oz),

T-Bone Steak (16oz)

Sauces to choose from: béarnaise, green peppercorn, port wine

demi-glace, café deparis butter

Your Choice of Sides: Cagney’s Fries (french fries, white truffle

oil, parmesan, sea salt and parsley), Baked Jumbo Idaho Potato, Mashed

potatoes, gratin potatoes, creamed spinach, sautéed mushrooms, onion

shoestrings, steamed fresh asparagus, sweet corn

Desserts: NY Style Cheesecake, Apple Pie, Mocha Crème Brulee, Sinful

Chocolate Obsession, Cagney’s Bananas Foster Flambe’,

Icecream/sorbet and artisan cheese trolley

Cagney’s Steakhouse Specials:

Whole Lobster (about 1.5 lb each),

Surf and Turf (filet mignon and ½ lobster),

Porterhouse Steak (24 oz)

Each of the above dishes require an additional 5 dollars above the

normal 15 dollar cover charge for a total of 20 dollars and will include

as many choices as you desire of appetizer, soups, salads,

accompaniments and desserts from the Main Steakhouse Menu.

Coka

After thanking the Jewel officers for Thanksgiving dinner and wishing them and NCL a happy birthday, the NYer and I went to the Caribbean deck party. While dining, I did not have a problem missing The Second City comedy improv earlier that evening. I saw the improv on the Spirit in April and I gave them three tries, leaving all three times. Well, improv is different every time and according to some of the passengers I spoke with, this troupe was very funny. Our suite neighbors said they never laughed so hard in a long time. We replied we never laughed so hard at dinner where we just came from!

As I think back, NCL used to have big barbecues at the caribbean deck parties and I do not know if we were late and it was over...or if they do not have them anymore. On the freestyle daily, it did not state food was served...only fun activities and rum drinks.

Anyone there Thanksgiving week that can verify?

After the Caribbean deck party, I went to the Spinnaker's Lounge to dance off my jumbo shrimp, prime rib dinner with au jus and horseradish, Idaho baked potato and steamed asparagus. Since the next day was at sea, the disco is usually crowded because nobody has to get up early.

Like having to get up early makes a difference to my late night dancing...!

Coka

I worked up a hefty appetite. An invitation to dine with officers was extended at the V.I.P. party earlier that week. We were suggested to pick a day and time. I responded that they were the ones who had the busy schedules and I thanked them. I commented to let us know what was convenient for them. After 27 cruises, 17 with NCL, I had Red Buttons fever (the comedien on the old Dean Martin roasts who never got a dinner) and always wondered how passengers get the invite. Figuring the invitation was just a nice gesture we assumed it would be forgotten. Besides, think of the stress of it all...

We were told on Le Bistro night to meet in Star Bar Thursday at 8pm with dinner at Cagney's to follow. Oh My Gosh. How do you decline that? I still wonder as of this writing how we got the invite. I am guessing the following:

1. Planer's Edge told them on recent sailing I was coming?

2. They know I am a cruisecritic?

3. I am an NCL platinum member?

4. They liked my commercial?

5. I was in a penthouse suite?

6. My SouthBeach formal dress flipping up?

7. Jesus was with me?

If any of you out there got an invite, I am curious as to how your invitation was extended...

Thursday was Caribbean night at sea. While getting ready we discussed what we were supposed to wear. Was it formal? Was it resort casual? Was it Caribbean? Should I wear my black and white dress? No, Caribbean night is usually the night the passengers and officers/staff/crew wear those horrible looking multi-colored caribbean shirts and goofy pants. We concluded the Star Bar and Cagney's Steakhouse had the least amount of color of all lounges on the ship so we would wear our brightest outfits too.

I called for help anyways to make sure. The response was this was freestyle cruising and that we could wear whatever. At that moment I felt like making a bed-sheet toga to show just what I thought about "whatever!" None the smarter, the NYer ended up in a casual caribbean dress and I ended up in a multi-colored floral halter top with white capris (we concluded they were definitely our worst outfits the entire week). At the very least, we would match the officer/staff/crew's worst outfits of the week too.

Oh my god, this was going to be the longest dinner of my life, perhaps my last supper. I immediately ordered a mount gay rum and tonic with lime...

Coka

OMG, I am on the floor here. You are too funny.

The above is ALL so true!

Yes, we got the "invite"!

I lived the whole "what to wear" thing with my 3 sisters! Imagine 4 of us deciding what to wear?!?!??!

We were in an AA with an adjoining balcony! We were tripping over one another trying on clothes, jewelry, shoes, etc.

I, to this day, wish I had a video camera to tape that night preparing for dinner:D

I relived the whole evening reading about you and the NYer.

Thanks for that:)

I didn't post the dinner (with who) in my review as we decided not to tell our DH's and I was afraid my DH would read my review since he see's me on CC so often.

We also told them to pick the time since they had schedules/work and we did not. Great minds think alike;)

We, too, did not know why the invitation was extended.

They all concluded that it was my fault since I had cruised NCL several times before.

I thought because we were in the suite?

I told the "youngest" sister it was because of her big "baby blues"!

We'll never know!

I agree, a wonderful dinner. We all enjoyed it. Great laughs, great conversations/stories. We also came away hoping they enjoyed it as much as we did.

I am CERTAIN that you and the NYer celebrated a holiday with them when they, also, were missing their families.

How lucky were they:)

Maybe we all should plan an CC cruise with Coka as leader--what a gift of writing you have,and the laughing and having fun onboard. I hope you got the well deserved rest you said you needed. We received the invite in Alaska and attributed it to being in a suite. What a fun time we had with the officers. Specially watching for whales at the table.:)

Archived