Best Time to Cruise from NY/NJ

MaryBeth76

I'd like to get some opnions of people who have either cruised from NYC or Bayonne, NJ at different times of the year. I live in NJ and know the weather can be unpredictable. I'd like to go in early May because it will be my 5th anniversary. Most ships take 2 full days to get down to the Carribean. Will it be warm enough to sit out on the balcony or on the pool deck in shorts for most of the way down? What are the seas generally like at that time of year?

Also, what cabins get the best view of the Statue of Liberty when leaving port, port or starboard?

Thanks!

Hi Marybeth, don't forget Philadelphia too. In May you'll have no problem sitting out the next afternoon after your cruise starts, you'll be down off the Carolinas by then. Also, the pools, etc. are heated and the big towels onboard will keep you warm before getting in, and after coming out, of the water.

You'll only see the S of L if you leave from Manhatten or Bkln, not Bayonne, and that would be from the starboard side (right side facing forward) of the ship, port side (left facing forward) on you return. But the view would be much better from the open upper or mid decks which you could access at anytime.

Happy sails to you...

What ships have heated pools? Just about all fill their pools with seawater and that is not heated! You know what the weather is like in NJ in May so you can figure it will be the sme for 1st day. (I'm from NJ but now on the NC coast.) The 2nd day you'll be farther south and weather should be good.

Last New Years we left from Charlotte, SC and spent two days in jeans getting to warm weather and on last day no one sat on the deck - it was too cold. But that was winter, May should be OK!

dmk446, Never had a heated pool on NCL or couldn't tell it was heated as water was not that warm. Hot tubs yes but pools no. Haven't been on NCL since last New Years but have been on 6 NCL ships. Someone once told me Princess had a heated pool but did't seem heated last month on Sun Princess.

I've sailed from NY and NJ 3 times now...

First time... March... it was cold / cool for the first 2 days... but we made use of the indoor pools...

Second time... July.... ungodly hot for the whole trip (90 or better most of the time).

Third time... end of April... The first day was in the high 60's when we left the harbor... by the second day... it was in the mid 80's ....

Honestly, in my opinion... if you leave mid to late April or better... you're in for nice (er) weather...

The seas... well... July, it was glass... March... we got some pretty rough seas... April... we didn't hit rough seas leaving NY.... but coming home from the last leg of the trip (Bermuda)... it got semi-rough...

Archived