Pearl Transatlantic - Shoreguy Blog - 2 December 2006

shoreguy

First tried L'Occitane on the Dawn when we had an AB and I've never looked back! I'll just bring my stuff from home - Santa now brings it to me every year!:)

Unless NCL wants to rethink and put it back in the penthouses.........my vote is L'Occitane.

33.32.87 N 43.20.19 W – 66 F – foggy

A little break and some pictures of food from the Pearl

Had the best Mac and Cheese ever for lunch in Cagney’s. Walked in and Snokelingbarb was eating some. Looked around half the restaurant was enjoying comfort food. Just a little smoked ham served in an individual sized cast iron dish. 3 cheeses and a little fresh Parm at the table.

Also attached – my entrée at the Bistro – double double escargot.

Finally the short rib and filet from the Bistro.

OK......I have a request. Why not at least take a "walk through" the other dining venues. Not all CC members eat where the "Elite Eat":rolleyes: ;) I am sure others are interested........no?

Today has been a great day at sea. We are having our dinner in Le Bistro tonight. Always nice following SG because I know exactly what to order. Makes my life so much easier.

Today, family and I went to Bliss and bowled a game. Please be aware the lanes are really slippery. I did a split on one bowl and am still sore. Not the split with Pins either.

Today was the issue of the Freestyle Daily. I normally read it very well, but the staff told us about the Chocoholics Buffet. So I call Ruth, as the staff did not know exact time and place. Well Ruth did not know and could not find it. So she asked for help. It was in the tips section. I sort of wish they would print a time grid section instead of just category section as well. But me thinks the current ones are here to stay.

From moderate seas at 33 29.21N and 43 41.67W in the middle Atlantic, all is well.

OK......I have a request. Why not at least take a "walk through" the other dining venues. Not all CC members eat where the "Elite Eat":rolleyes: ;) I am sure others are interested........no?

I will see if I can get the copies of the menus to scan. I will include restrauant reviews in my actual review.

I will see if I can get the copies of the menus to scan. I will include restrauant reviews in my actual review.

Great:D ........The regular restaurants? That you have eaten in....OK?

I believe we have the new menus so you don`t have to go to the trouble:)

Snoopyto...thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about the villa sundeck..my family and I will be in 14000 for the Jan 19th sailing and I am like a child waiting for Christmas!:) I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get time to post them!

Colleen in Key West

AKA conch17

I do understand the reasoning behind removing the machines. Passengers are known to be a little "piggy" sometimes. OK, "disgusting" is frequently a better adjective.

So how about they remove the self-serve portion of it, and put the machines in an area that is staffed all the time, so at least it's AVAILABLE all the time. Ice cream, as far as many are concerned, is one of the major food groups and should be consumed as often as possible when on vacation. And I would love to see fat free, no sugar added flavors, too. (It complements the escargot and cheesecake consumed at other meals. LOL)

I've been on 9 NCL cruises, another coming up on the Pearl in a few weeks (I can't WAIT, now that Shoreguy has totally whetted my appetite), and these NCL ships keep getting better and better. And I'm getting a lovely collection of cruisecritic pins. :)

I do understand the reasoning behind removing the machines. Passengers are known to be a little "piggy" sometimes. OK, "disgusting" is frequently a better adjective.

So how about they remove the self-serve portion of it, and put the machines in an area that is staffed all the time, so at least it's AVAILABLE all the time. Ice cream, as far as many are concerned, is one of the major food groups and should be consumed as often as possible when on vacation. And I would love to see fat free, no sugar added flavors, too. (It complements the escargot and cheesecake consumed at other meals. LOL)

I've been on 9 NCL cruises, another coming up on the Pearl in a few weeks (I can't WAIT, now that Shoreguy has totally whetted my appetite), and these NCL ships keep getting better and better. And I'm getting a lovely collection of cruisecritic pins. :)

If they're going to remove the self service part, why not just serve hand packed ice cream? :confused:

Which is what NCL does in the main buffet, or right next to it.:)

Just because there isn't self serve ice cream does not mean there isn't an ice cream bar aboard. :rolleyes:

Agree with shoreguy that the cruise would have been better with one port in the middle. I always wished that NCL would offer a round the North Atlantic cruise out of New York. It could go to Bermuda, the Azores, Lisbon, Ireland, Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and back to New York. Regent (formerly Radisson) offered a similar round the Pacific cruise out of L.A. My kind of trans-Atlantic cruise (no flights involved).

Hi DOLPHINS....That sounds great. How long do you think a cruise like this would take? I for one don't like to fly.....Thanks....

If they're going to remove the self service part, why not just serve hand packed ice cream? :confused:

Which is what NCL does in the main buffet, or right next to it.:)

Just because there isn't self serve ice cream does not mean there isn't an ice cream bar aboard. :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly, the Sun also had soft serve frozen yogurt at their ice cream bar (as well as the "hard" ice cream which I prefer anyway)

-Monte

Hi DOLPHINS....That sounds great. How long do you think a cruise like this would take? I for one don't like to fly.....Thanks....

With 9 port days, it could probably be done in just over 3 weeks. Three cruises would be possible between June and September.

Hand packed ice cream, and soft are two different things.

It is easy to understand why they do not have the self service ice cream dispensers any longer.

They are messy, difficult to clean, and probably just not worth the hassle.

Shoreguy,

Great job on the blog. Can't wait for our cruise on the 18th. Can you do my a favor? Please read my post titled, "December 18th cruise: A couple of questions". I had a couple of questions I did not want to take up space here with.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bishopcfd

Hand packed ice cream, and soft are two different things.

It is easy to understand why they do not have the self service ice cream dispensers any longer.

They are messy, difficult to clean, and probably just not worth the hassle.

I fully agree. They ARE messy.

And soft ice cream and hard are significantly different to an ice cream freak. For me, each holds its special place.

The hard sugar free ice cream on the Jewel was AWFUL, even by my (lax) standards. Soft serve is usually better.

NCL has been so innovative in so many areas....maybe they can figure out a way to do this one. They'd make this cruiser that much happier. We both loved that concept so much :)

Agree with shoreguy that the cruise would have been better with one port in the middle. I always wished that NCL would offer a round the North Atlantic cruise out of New York. It could go to Bermuda, the Azores, Lisbon, Ireland, Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and back to New York. Regent (formerly Radisson) offered a similar round the Pacific cruise out of L.A. My kind of trans-Atlantic cruise (no flights involved).

If you could please just add some Scandinavian ports here, I would love to come on your cruise. In fact, that would be my dream cruise.:)

Shoreguy, I finished review ON TIME! LOL!

Speculation exists that Klaus or his assistant had something to do with my awesome cruise...please give him a giant Coka-bear thank you hug from me...

The Bliss beds idea came from the Spirit's disco decor...I assume. The idea sounds strange but when you see them in person, one gets the urge to jump up and down on them! They are cool.

Coka

Who? :p

O.K. NCL - Ann wants Frances Denny, Greenie and I want L'Occitane. Got it?

All I want for Christmas is .... my L'Occ--itane

Oh Saaaaaanta! Santa NCL! Ann wants Frances Denny, cruising from MN, Greenie, Swoosh2005, cpbodnar, Cosmopolitan, Studsneaker, and watchdiva want L'Occitane (sorry if I missed anyone ...!). OK?? The list grows by the moment, Santa NCL! We've been good girls! If we have to buy our own we won't be able to afford cruising. You'll lose customers! It's for your own good, we're just thinking of you!

P.S. Hi Cosmo! There are still some suites left on The Gem 2/6/08. C'mon girl!

YOU are so right...I had Rolex, Cartier and Bvgari on my list to Santa too...but you are soooo right! Since I can NOT get Le'Occtaine here where I live I have to fly to New York, Atlanta or L.A. to buy it...so there will be no money left to go cruiseing!!!

PLEASE BRING BACK QUALITY SOAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived