#### LIVE FROM THE GOLDEN PRINCESS #### (17 Days Starting 11/29/06)

JotWorld

Bill

Sounds like you are really enjoying this cruise, especially the entertainment. I think that can really make your cruise. I love the entertainment on cruise ships.....can't understand why some people say they never go to them. The nice weather you're having helps too. Continue to enjoy your cruise!!!!!

Mary

We hear the same thing from many Paxs also, We can not understand it:confused: & It's all Free & So Good!:) Oh Well, to each his own, that is what Cruising is all about. (Most people can't understand how I can spend Hours upon Hours every day in the IC):D:D The Weather has been absolutely Superb!:eek: My Best! Bill

Hi Bill:

Now that it's December (and those of us living in Canada have already seen some snow), I'm thinking about Christmas. Wondering if the Golden Princess and any other of the beautiful Princess fleet are displaying any holiday themed items...ie Christmas tree in the atrium, pointsettias at the Pursers desk, gingerbread cookies in the Horizon Court or perhaps Christmas movies in the theatre??? It may be early yet for these displays but what is the usual pattern on "your home away from home"?

BTW, I love "all" the postings, the bantering and general discussions about blankies and baaaaa make me LOL and make everyone seem so real. PS..I even love Caroline's postings

Jan

No Xmas yet on the Golden.:( We thought they would do it after Thanksgiving, but not yet! Will ask tomorrow & get back with the Date They Decorate for the Holidays We want to know, Also, for sure!:D We're never been on a Ship this close to Xmas, except for a New Years Cruise & of course it was all decked out still 5 Days later!;) I love Caroline's Postings also, As long as she is not shuting Me or Tony Down!:eek: :D Bill

Xmas you said?

11/15/2006

Princess Ships Deck the Halls - and their Masts - For a Festive Holiday Season at Sea

Special Celebrations Ring in Christmas, Hanukkah and the New Year

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (November 15, 2006) -- From the Christmas tree adorning the ship's mast to a visit from Santa, the holiday season brings a special kind of cheer to Princess ships. This year, Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year celebrations will be in full swing fleetwide, with several new seasonal activities for passengers to enjoy.

Trimmed from stem to stern in festive holiday décor, Princess ships will reflect the season in a variety of ways. Special menus and culinary displays will offer traditional goodies. Strolling carolers and live musicians will fill the air with the sounds of the season. And the ship's movie screens will feature the holiday classics loved by young and old alike.

Some special activities debut this season, adding to the festivities. Children of all ages will enjoy a special reading of "The Night Before Christmas" by a member of the ship's company. A holiday production show debuts in the Princess Theater on select ships, with the opportunity for photos with the cast members in their holiday finery.

On Christmas Eve, passengers will sit down to a dinner of traditional holiday fare, and on Christmas Day passengers can enjoy a cup of eggnog, plus a sumptuous brunch including roast turkey and all the trimmings. Freshly prepared stolen and Christmas cookies round out the seasonal treats.

A full day of activities on Christmas Day centers around the atrium, with events for young and old. A spectacular display from the ship's culinary team, including a variety of gingerbread houses, will delight the senses. Santa is sure to drop in with gifts, and stay for a special photo session to capture the moment with passengers. Elsewhere, a holiday variety show adds a seasonal element to the ship's entertainment offerings. Religious services are held as well, and passengers can attend midnight mass or an inter-denominational church service performed by onboard clergy.

Christmas For Kids -- Christmas Day will be especially festive for the ship's younger cruisers. Santa Claus is sure to make an appearance with his sack full of toys, along with his Princess helper, Pelican Pete. A fun-filled holiday fair in the atrium offers youngsters the opportunity to try their hand at cookie decorating, balloon making, face painting, games and other competitions. The Youth centers will host holiday parties for each age group, and kids can make decorations to display on the center's Christmas tree. Youngsters can get creative with other holiday-themed arts and crafts projects throughout the cruise, and they will have an opportunity to sing Christmas carols for passengers. Classic family holiday movies will be screened in the kids centers and the ship's theaters. For parents who want to stay up later to celebrate the holidays, free late-night group kid sitting sessions will be available on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

Hanukkah -- Passengers celebrating the festival of lights on board can participate in religious services, including special prayer and song services conducted by a rabbi who sails during the holiday period. A special area of the ship is reserved for those participating in these events and ships display menorahs and fresh flower arrangements decorated in the Hanukkah colors of blue, silver and white. Children will enjoy themed arts and crafts pertinent to the holiday, which runs from December 15 to 22. Ringing in the New Year -- Princess ships will welcome 2007 in style with a fun-filled New Year's Eve party where revelers can count down to the new year with music, confetti, noise-makers and a balloon drop. Earlier in the evening, passengers will enjoy a special New Year's Eve menu. And once the new year arrives, football fans will be pleased to know they won't miss the day's traditional college bowl games, as the telecasts will be shown (if available) in a shipboard lounge or on some vessels' giant Movies Under the Stars screen, complete with a full buffet of "munchies" such as popcorn, chips, mini hot dogs or burgers, and other assorted goodies.

Tony

:cool: :eek:

Thanks again;) , but it doesn't tell us when they decorate?:confused: Does anyone Know? I'll ask tomorrow & report back.:) Bill

I tend to like http://www.princessshutter.com/princesscam.htm myself. If I see something interesting I go to the princess site and bring it up for the faster refresh (the princess shutter site only refreshes once every 4 minutes). It's a refreshing distraction from the white stuff outside.

Thank you!:) I like the Composite of all the Cams on one page also!:D

Thanks for coming along! Bill

Bill, try putting them in the frig. We think they taste better when they're cold and crunchy.

Arlene

Yup, we like Those GOLDEN PRINCESS cookies in the Frig, but with a wet Napkin over them.:D We like them Cold & Soggy:eek: :D :eek: ! Bill Live On Board Cookie Heaven!;)

You can tell we're getting out in the Atlantic, we haven't felt any Seas to speak of in the Med.:eek: Doors are flying open, people are holding on for dear life, etc etc etc;) Giddie Up, Pony!!!:D Good nite from the Golden on the Way to Maderia. (But tomorrow is our First Sea day, Yippie!)

Also, met Ruth (Head of Princess Computer Operations)Yesterday & Today She was busy, but I gave her my Card w/ Cabin # and asked her to Ring me when we get into our 8 Sea Days in a row, and she said she would.;)

Can't wait to talk Computer Woes with her & her take on the problems. Also heard they are adding staffing to the IC, all day long, very soon? Also I've heard that We will be able to use 150 Days for Elite or 15 Cruises whichever comes first, but it still isn't Official at this time. Till Morning.................. My Best! Bill

Two cruise related comments. Bill, do you know of anyone who took the excursion to Marrakesh?

To really look at Noro virus go to the RCI website and check the comments from PAX on the Freedom of the Seas regarding the intensity of their experiences. It makes you think twice about passing by the hand sanitizers onboard.

Judy

Also I've heard that We will be able to use 150 Days for Elite or 15 Cruises whichever comes first, but it still isn't Official at this time.
I sure hope so! I'm still several completed cruises away from Elite but have 145 days so if this is true, one more cruise would do it. Again, if this is true, it's about time!

do you know of anyone who took the excursion to Marrakesh?
We took the excursion to Marrakesh in 2005 on our Royal Princess cruise. Marrakesh was incredible and I'd do this again so that I could absorb it better. It's a very long day with a 4.5-hour bus ride each way. When we were there, it was very hot and our bus' A/C broke down so that it was dangerously hot in the bus both ways (well over 100-degrees and the windows didn't open). That really sapped our strength. Our tour guide lectured about the Muslim religion most of the way going there. (Not too much about the history of the country -- just the religion.) The food at the lunch was very local and while I wouldn't expect it to be Americanized, it wasn't very good. The chicken was very stringy and tough, and there wasn't a lot. The dancers were supposed to go around the room but they went only to one side because we were running late so we didn't really have a chance to see them. On the return to the ship, our bus was singled out to be stopped by the military police -- apparently because "they can" -- so we were quite late getting back to the ship. We were disappointed in the bus and tour guide and Princess refunded 60% of the cost to everyone on our bus who said they were on it. Oh, did I mention the lawyer on his satellite cell phone who conducted business in a loud voice most of each way on the bus? Arrrgggh!

Pam,

Thank you for replying. I think that Marrakesh sounds more interesting than Casablanca. Did you have enough time to see the performers in the square? How much time did you have to shop? I think I'll look at private tours too,although with that long a bus trip I think I'd be better with a Princess tour. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to do it again. I would like to return to Egypt in order to absorb more.

Was your tour the Europeon Explorer? If so, what other thoughts do you have on the ports?

One of the things I love about these threads is how much opportunity there is to share our knowledge.

Judy

Judy, my cruise was the (old) Royal Princess Manaus > Rome cruise April/May '05, essentially the last cruise for the Royal for Princess (other than it going from Rome to Southampton to be turned over to P&O.)

Yes, I thought Marrakesh was definitely going to be the more interesting tours. Even though some people rented cars and did it on their own, the "highway" that you're on is one lane in each direction that goes for hours through the desert. You're sharing it with trucks and donkey carts. I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Plus, the police randomly stopped our bus as well as some other cars. We were back to the ship well over an hour after it was due to sail.

We did see the performers in the square. There were a few snake charmers who immediately glared at you if you didn't put money into their basket. We didn't have any time to shop nor would I have been comfortable buying anything there. We didn't see many stores and even though we walked through the Casbah, if you stopped to buy something (pretty much junk from what I could see), you might lose track of your group. We lost a couple of men who did that and it wound up being a huge hassle. They had to send the guide back through while another one led us to the restaurant. They didn't catch up with us for over an hour and if it were me, I'd be really anxious. Marrakesh is still very much an ancient Arab city. I'll have to look back through my pictures to refresh my memory.

I know what you mean about going back to Cairo. We're going back next year and can't wait.

We were in Morocco in 2001 and my DH bought a belt made of camel hide. The aroma was so over/under whelming that I made him keep it on the balcony and when we got home made him store it in the garage. That smell never ever went away. I eventually donated it to Good Will. :D

Arlene

Bill,

Have you ordered anything not on the regular menu and gotten it like Tony does? Thanks for all the info.

He's giving teh Chef and the Maitre'D a break until I reboard the Golden on January 10th in Aruba!;)

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Bill,

Hope the seas have calmed down for you. My SNL emailed me earlier today, they are doing great. I told her how much help you have been to us, and for her to look you up.

Thanks again,

Wendy

Hi again Wendy, Yup, we got 6-8 (possibly 10') swells, Were in the open North Atlantic now:D Tell her to come by and say Hi, I live you know where!:eek: Usally near the Window when I Can!:) I'm the Good Looking :rolleyes: one with the Grey Goatee(sort of);)

GM All! Ready for our First day at Sea in a Week! More......... Bill

Pam,

Thank you for replying. I think that Marrakesh sounds more interesting than Casablanca. Did you have enough time to see the performers in the square? How much time did you have to shop? I think I'll look at private tours too,although with that long a bus trip I think I'd be better with a Princess tour. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to do it again. I would like to return to Egypt in order to absorb more.

Was your tour the Europeon Explorer? If so, what other thoughts do you have on the ports?

One of the things I love about these threads is how much opportunity there is to share our knowledge.

Judy

Pam, Thanks for your Details & Food for Thought on those thinking about Marrakesh, we were down until the Deadline & pulled it for a Short PM in Casablanca, which turned out good for us, a little of everything, & NO LONG Bus Rides through the Desert!;)

Judy & All, I will ask the 50++ CC Group Gathering this AM about Marrakesh, I'm sure several, at least went, & report back later today!;) BTW we left 10 Minutes early,

so the buses got back on time from there 12 Hour Day:eek:

Bill

Bill,

Have you ordered anything not on the regular menu and gotten it like Tony does? Thanks for all the info.

No, although the Maitre' D, has told me "ask Him for anything special from the kitchen":eek: several times, we are Quite Happy with the Regular Menu s so far.:D Tony is in a Class by Himself, & he deserves to be!;) Thanks for asking, & coming along for the ride!:D My Best! Bill

We were in Morocco in 2001 and my DH bought a belt made of camel hide. The aroma was so over/under whelming that I made him keep it on the balcony and when we got home made him store it in the garage. That smell never ever went away. I eventually donated it to Good Will. :D

Arlene

Hi A, et al,

We went into this very well stocked Bazzar, with the Tour group & Shopped, Studied & then Bargained for (3) Lovely Small Silver Metal Boxes, one with inlaid Camel Bone, & two smaller one with Stones, inlaid.

They were marked 125 to 145 D, or 12.5 to 14.5 Euros, each. Got all three for 20 Euros(Oops:eek: only have $20 US, OK!) ;) Less than $7.00 each, hard to beat!:D Also two lovely Silver & Glass Perfume bottles 10 to 12" high, Just Gorgeous! Marked 240 D each, got 2 for $20.00 US, Total. Wow. Also Irene got a Lovely small tablerunner for $5.00 US

Lot's of nice gifts for Family & of course Irene, she gets Her 1st Pick!:D Bill

Bill,

I am very interested in learning about the differences between Casablanca and Marrakesh. The bus ride to and from Marrakesh is a bit daunting. Did you and Irene get to explore Casablanca at all?

Pam,

Thanks for so much information. The bus ride is a bit daunting. If you had it to do again would you choose Casablanca or Marrakesh? I've always wanted to see Morocco. I enjoyed hearing from you.

Judy

Thanks for so much information. The bus ride is a bit daunting. If you had it to do again would you choose Casablanca or Marrakesh? I've always wanted to see Morocco. I enjoyed hearing from you.
I'm very glad I went to Marrakesh. We knew beforehand that the bus ride would be very long (we'd done the overnight in Cairo before so we knew it was going to be a very long day and a lot of hours on the bus) and I'd still choose Marrakesh over Casablanca. They told us it would be a 3.5-hour bus ride but it was well over 4 hours each way.

It's a very ancient Arab city that hasn't been Westernized because it's so far away and not easy to get to. It has a lot of Arab and Islamic historical value. You see a lot of bare desert along the way (not the sand dune type that you think of in Lawrence of Arabia) where you'll see villas and villages that put life's hardships into perspective -- at least it did for me. It's barren -- totally barren -- miles and miles of dry dirt. Perhaps boring for some to look at for hours on end. Our tour would have been better with a bus with A/C and a guide who didn't lecture on Islam (I doubt he's a guide any more. :) ) but I found it fascinating and I'm glad we went. To me, it was worth the effort but to others, it might not be.

After our tour, we got back so late that dinner was almost half over (it was probably 8:45PM or later). It's the only time I've ever gone to dinner in jeans: the Maitre D' saw us drag in and waved us into the dining room with backpacks, sweat-stained, smelly, dirty clothes and all.

Just as a note, my sister, BIL and I like to sit in the back of a tour bus. While everyone else squeezes in the seats towards the front, we have found that almost invariably, there aren't many who sit in way the back and we have a bit more leg room and space. :) This is particularly helpful for long bus rides.

About 8 Minutes ago, at 4:52PM 11:52 AM EST the Power:eek: went out in the Cabin on Caribe Deck Aft & the Ship stopped or almost stopped.:eek: The Purser's ofc is saying there is a Small Pwr outage & it will be back on soon!:confused: That is the official word, no word on the speaker system, yet!:(

Will keep you all informed as I find out more. This is Formal Night, of course, & at 5PM everyone is getting ready in the Cabins!;) (Murphy's Law)

Later............... Bill

Archived