Western Carib. Snorkeling: Montego Bay or Cozumel?

I know I want to snorkel, but I don't know if I should do the Sunset Beach snorkel or the Chakanab Shore Snorkel in Cozumel.

I have never snorkeled before, I can't swim very well, and I'm just the tiniest bit wary of deep waters.

Any suggestions?:)

I've never been to Montego Bay (going there on 12/3 cruise), but I have snorkeled in Cozumel. I cannot swim a lick, but I'm ok with a life preserver. I think the water would be clearer in Cozumel, just my guess. On our excursion, we swam in water that was about 12 feet deep but it was so clear, it seemed like it was only 4-5 feet deep. I didn't feel very secure with the little neck floaty they give you, so I ask the guide for the big red floaty thing he had and he gave it to me (I gave them a nice tip at the end). In the pictures I've seen, Mo Bay water looks kind of greenish.

I have snorkled a few times at Chankanaab in Cozumel and would highly recommend it. Matter of fact, a friend of ours who won't even get in swimming pools went with us, got in the water and had a blast. Like the previous poster said, it seems like you are in 8 foot of water.

I have not snorkled in Montego, and never had much desire to (usually spend alot of time at Margaritaville), but I can't imagine it being as good of snorkling as in Cozumel.

Have a blast whatever you do.

Definitely Coz.

Mobay wouldn't have much good snorkeling or diving, whereas Cozumel is world renowed, even after Wilma.

I'm a diver. This Aug. my family and friends went with me and we booked a private charter in Cozumel with Blue Angels for the 7 of us. It was the first time snorkeling for mMy brother-in-law and sister-in-law, and the second time for my mother-in-law. We all had a blast.

The most important thing was I brought them all to swimming pool before the trip to get them try the snorkeling gear. You don't want to spend the time on the excursion trying to adjust the mask strap to the right tightness, and doing a lot of mask clearing, or getting used to breathing thru a snorkel. Do that beforehand, then spend the time on the trip enjoy seeing fish underwater and taking pics. One more thing, I suggested to my family and friends to all wear a wetsuit, and in fact everyone wore a full wetsuit, instead of wearing the snorkeling vest. In addition, everyone held a noodle. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law actually held a long noodle together.

In Coz, we went to Columbia shallow (for snorkeling, and I went to Columbia Deep for diving), had a surface-interval rest at Palancar Beach, then went to Palancar Gardens for the next snorkeling/diving location. At the end, we went to be dropped off at Paradize Beach.

Archived