Favorite Southern Caribbean Port?

WackyHeathen

What's your favorite Southern Caribbean port?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Southern Caribbean port?

• Antigua
    • Aruba
    • Barbados
    • Curacao
    • Grenada
    • Martinique
    • Nevis
    • St. Barth's
    • St. Kitts
    • St. Lucia

Hey Ya'll,

The Southern Caribbean has been gaining in popularity (at least in my mind), so I was wondering what's your favorite Southern Caribbean port?

Antigua

Aruba

Barbados

Curacao

Grenada

Martinique

Nevis

St. Barth's

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

Cheers,

Wacky

Southern is by far my favorite. I like all of those ports a lot except for Aruba. For me, it was between Martinique and St. Lucia. I gave the nod to St. Lucia based on if I recommended one port or the other to the first timer, I would go with St. Lucia. For repeat visits, I prefer Martinique.

Which unfortunately you didn't include in your poll. A small but very lovely island with an extensive rain forest, and wonderful friendly people. It's amazing how many different kinds of fruit/vegetables are grown there.

Yes, it's a relatively poor island but the people are very proud of their island and their mandatory educational system. We are looking forward to returning.

Cheers,

:confused: please tell me what you liked about venezuela. I was there once and hayted it. I am returning in Jan so maybe I can give it a second chance. I intended to stay on the ship and relax. please give me your thoughts.

What do I like? Well let me start off by telling you that I have been all over the caribbean. I chose Margarita Island as the place to retire. Unlike many islands, it is close to the mainland so getting what you need is easy. The prices are great as well. Gas is less then 10 cents a gallon. Filet mignon at the butcher is around 2.50 a pound.

BUT it is the people are what drew me here. Look in the eyes of the children........... they do not know if they are poor. They are respectful, of others and themselves. It is common to see mothers walking their children to school doing something I did not see in the states............ TALKING. I am not talking just youngsters either, the older ones as well. Go to a local beach and watch the lil ones play. They may not have computers or game boys but you cannot tell them they are missing a thing.

My first time in a grocery store was an adventure. My spanish is VERY limited. The locals really try to help. As a tourist there is alot to do...... so much to see. Staying on board the ship you will miss so much. The island has really cleaned up the last year. Are there ghettos here........... you bet. Is there crime......... yup. Use common sense, leave your jewelry on the ship, remember the people here make peanuts compared to what you do.

As I have found people for the most part go out of their way to be helpful. The island has come a long way in the past year. The beaches are great..... where else in the Caribbean can you have a beer brought to you for about 50 cents? The food is wonderful and very reasonable. The food is all natural, unlike the USA.

Granted there are the shops at the port. The true feel of the island is away from the port. What ship are you crusing on? I do miss cruising.

I do not regret the move. I hope you enjoy your trip.

since when is Antigua considered in the southern Caribbean? it is one of the northernmost islands in the chain. and the same rationale applies to those of you who responded Puerto Rico - southern Caribbean? suggest a geography lesson with a map of the Caribbean might be in order:) if the poll is to be considered valid, stick to the question polled

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been to nearly all the islands, and St. Kitts is one of my favorites: amazing topography (You can frequently see both the Caribbean and the Atlantic at the same time!), great sand beaches, and very good snorkeling on the way to beautiful Nevis.

However, I am surprised you include both Curacao and Aruba, but not the third island of the group: Bonaire. It has probably the best snorkeling on your list.

My least favorite, by a wide margin: Isla Margarita. For lots of reasons, which one can find on a number of threads.

Bill

Archived